• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Annoying words, phrases, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Update to my previous post: the entire emotional spectrum of the professional sportsman: "Stoked" to "Gutted".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This was from Peter Betham yesterday in a Foxsports article.

I hope someone was around with a fire extinguisher to put him out. Or a Geiger counter if he was glowing rather than on fire.
Maybe he just fired up a fat stogie to celebrate. #oldskool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
"Have a nice day" from every insincere American customer service assistant.
"Can I help you?" from every American customer service assistant on sales commission.
"Let's cross live now to blah blah blah" by Ch 9 newsreaders when they cross live to a reporter standing in the dark at a location where nothing's happening but something did happen maybe 8 hours ago.
"Your call is important to us" the recorded greeting from bloody Vodafone, Telstra or a myriad of other companies who pretend they give a shit about you or your call.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Synergy is a pet hate.

Practically any word that comes out of HR is usually meaningless, out of context or used incorrectly.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
"Have a nice day" from every insincere American customer service assistant.
"Can I help you?" from every American customer service assistant on sales commission.
"Let's cross live now to blah blah blah" by Ch 9 newsreaders when they cross live to a reporter standing in the dark at a location where nothing's happening but something did happen maybe 8 hours ago.
"Your call is important to us" the recorded greeting from bloody Vodafone, Telstra or a myriad of other companies who pretend they give a shit about you or your call.
Really? I appreciate they often can't, or don't help you. But the question is inoffensive, I think?
But I guess I see what you mean.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't know why but this shits me off. Finishing an email or statement with:
' if you have a question, don't hesitate to call.'
Why would I hesitate? Will I sit there for a few minutes deliberating over whether to ask a question? I want to call, but I shouldn't, but I need to call, but I don't want to disturb them, but I need to ask this question. Hang on a minute they said don't hesitate. What am I doing, I'll give them a call.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
How about the sounds of silence when you've paid someone like a taxi driver, shop assistant, bar staff or service station attendant.
How about a 'thank you' or grunt or some other sign of life in return for my business.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Why would I hesitate? Will I sit there for a few minutes deliberating over whether to ask a question? I want to call, but I shouldn't, but I need to call, but I don't want to disturb them, but I need to ask this question. Hang on a minute they said don't hesitate. What am I doing, I'll give them a call.

I'm guilty of this one, but I tend to only use it when delivering bad news. It's the polite way of acknowledging I have just dumped a turd on someone, but feel free to give me a call and I'll make placatory gestures down the phone to make you feel better.

Reactions: BPC

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm guilty of this one, but I tend to only use it when delivering bad news. It's the polite way of acknowledging I have just dumped a turd on someone, but feel free to give me a call and I'll make placatory gestures down the phone to make you feel better.
If you dumped a turd on me, I don't think there is any kind of sign off that would placate me :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I do this to.

Mostly it is in an email when I've provided some sort of advice to a client. Generally I am implying that if they don't fully understand what I'm telling them then please call me or email me to ask rather than just not understanding and letting it slide until further down the track.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I know it's very uncool to have a whinge about the fire services after their recent sterling efforts, but I have to confess the warning level called "Watch and Act" annoys me a bit. Am I supposed to Watch, or Act? If I'm watching, I'm not acting.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Working collaboratively together/ collaborative partnerships - is there another way?

Utilising something when "using" it works too.

Facilitation and optimisation - I reckon 1 in every 40 I see are actually used correctly; the other 39 are just someone trying to sound smart without knowing what they are talking about.

Key stakeholders - so overused it has virtually no meaning

Engagement - usually it means showing or telling people something, but engagement means you're interested in them too.

"Engagement of key stakeholders in collaborative partnerships" sees me rocking back and forth in the corner repeating my soothing words

The person who writes Bill Pulver's quotes is a master at rubbing me the wrong way - USE VERBS BUDDY!
I don't think the person who writes Chieka's quotes has ever spoken to him in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.