• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ANZAC XV - Aus/NZ vs the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
The SH doesn't need to do this.

Lions as a concept seems to be a RFU ego trip - every four years, the four largest unions* with among the highest populations* need to team up so their players can find out what it is like to be competitive with the big 3, to give them a guide to the occassional upsets we do see.^

*statistics may not be factual
^deliberately antagonistic opinion that makes me feel better about that time the english won the RWC

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Being a World Cup year the ARU and NZRU are not going to allow the top line players to play..especially if it's late in the year..

so if it were played now this would be my run on XV:

15. Woodward (REB)
14. Coleman (BRU)
13. Moala (BLU)
12. McCabe (BRU)
11. Piutau (BLU)
10. Sopoaga (HIG)
9. Smith (HIG)
8. Butler (BRU)
7. Hodgson (FOR)
6. Christie (HIG)
5. Carter (BRU)
4. Thomson (HUR)
3. King (HIG)
2. Charles (FOR)
1. Franks, B (HUR)

still a formidable team!

so you can make inferences about who I think the 'top liners' are. I suspect a few of the above will be representing their country in the world cup by then.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
and if everyone is allowed to play. Based on current form:

15. Folau (WAR)
14. Mogg (BRU)
13. Crotty (CRU)
12. Beale (WAR)
11. Smith (HIG)
10. Barrett (HUR)
9. White (BRU)
8. McCalman (FOR)
7. Braid (BLU)
6. Messam (CHI)
5. Whitelock (CRU)
4. Fardy (BRU)
3. Alexander (BRU)
2. Moore (BRU)
1. Slipper (RED)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Eddie Jones was in the paper backing this idea.

So whatever micron of support I had for the concept is now gone. Anything Eddie says should be treated with extreme prejudice, and not just because he's had a stroke.

M

Muttonbird

15. Folau (WAR)
14. Mogg (BRU)
13. Crotty (CRU)
12. Beale (WAR)
11. Smith (HIG)
10. Barrett (HUR)
9. White (BRU)
8. McCalman (FOR)
7. Braid (BLU)
6. Messam (CHI)
5. Whitelock (CRU)
4. Fardy (BRU)
3. Alexander (BRU)
2. Moore (BRU)
1. Slipper (RED)

It's nice doing the current form thing but would you pick this team in June with an all Australian front row? Most test players haven't strapped their boots properly yet. It's April.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

15. Folau (WAR)
14. Mogg (BRU)
13. Crotty (CRU)
12. Beale (WAR)
11. Smith (HIG)
10. Barrett (HUR)
9. White (BRU)
8. McCalman (FOR)
7. Braid (BLU)
6. Messam (CHI)
5. Whitelock (CRU)
4. Fardy (BRU)
3. Alexander (BRU)
2. Moore (BRU)
1. Slipper (RED)

I'm on record as saying that if I could put any Wallaby into a Black jersey it'd be Moore, but an Aussie either side of him? You've gotta be fucking kidding me, there's a reason pretty much everyone given the option of penalty back or scrum upfield, or free kick or scrum, would say "scrum please Sir" 9 times from 10.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

15. Folau (WAR)
14. Mogg (BRU)
13. Crotty (CRU)
12. Beale (WAR)
11. Smith (HIG)
10. Barrett (HUR)
9. White (BRU)
8. McCalman (FOR)
7. Braid (BLU)
6. Messam (CHI)
5. Whitelock (CRU)
4. Fardy (BRU)
3. Alexander (BRU)
2. Moore (BRU)
1. Slipper (RED)

This is my team with all different players.

15. Piatau.
14. Cummins.
13. C. Smith
12. Nonu.
11. Savea.
10. Cruden.
9. A. Smith.
8. Read.
7. Hooper.
6. Levave
5. Sam Carter.
4. Retallick.
3. Kepu.
2. TPN.
1. Woodcock.

Of the original team, I'd probably bring in Folau at 15, Fardy at 6, Whitelock at 5 and Moore at 2.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
If it was a serious concept and all the players were into it (say like how league players take SoO) then you would have to select both captains.

So for the easier selections, you couldn't go past this back row. You've got to have both captains and the best number 8.

Also an easier selection, the back 3. Folau would make it because he is a freak. And Ben Smith and Savea have been the most consistent AB outside backs of recent times.

If fit Carter plays and starts. It's about the occasion and this guy has 100 tests and is the most prolific points scorer.

And Genia has at one point been the best halfback in world rugby, so he gets the nod ahead of Aaron Smith, who has been very strong at test level for some time.

Other 'easy' choices are Moore, O. Franks, S. Whitelock, C. Smith

Now take your pick to fill the other spots, starting and bench:

Slipper, Kepu, Woodcock
Mealamu, TPN
Horwill, Retallick,
Messam, Higginbotham, Hooper
A. Smith
Cooper, Cruden
Nonu, McCabe, To'omua,
Dagg, Tomane, Jane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

If I was coach if go Retallick and Whitelock to start with Mowen covering lock and have Higgenbotham and Hooper on the bench.

A. Smith on the bench with Quade (it is at Suncorp after all).

Midfield is interesting, huge Nonu fan, but I think in the ANZAC spirit of balance and "fair go" I'd select an Aussie and I'd go McCabe, who's been on fire of late.

Nonu on the bench to cover the midfield. McCabe can cover wing and with Ben Smith starting we have fullback covered.

Woodcock to start at loosehead and I'd go with Kepu on the bench with Mealamu and Ben Franks.

1. Woodcock
2. Moore
3. O. Franks
4. Retallick
5. S. Whitelock
6. Mowen (VC)
7. McCaw (C)
8. Read
9. Genia
10. Carter
11. J. Savea
12. McCabe
13. C. Smith
14. B. Smith
15. Folau

16. Mealamu
17. B. Franks
18. Kepu
19. Higginbotham
20. Hooper
21. A. Smith
22. Cooper
23. Nonu

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If it was a serious concept and all the players were into it (say like how league players take SoO) then you would have to select both captains.

So for the easier selections, you couldn't go past this back row. You've got to have both captains and the best number 8.

Also an easier selection, the back 3. Folau would make it because he is a freak. And Ben Smith and Savea have been the most consistent AB outside backs of recent times.

If fit Carter plays and starts. It's about the occasion and this guy has 100 tests and is the most prolific points scorer.

And Genia has at one point been the best halfback in world rugby, so he gets the nod ahead of Aaron Smith, who has been very strong at test level for some time.

Other 'easy' choices are Moore, O. Franks, S. Whitelock, C. Smith

Now take your pick to fill the other spots, starting and bench:

Slipper, Kepu, Woodcock
Mealamu, TPN
Horwill, Retallick,
Messam, Higginbotham, Hooper
A. Smith
Cooper, Cruden
Nonu, McCabe, To'omua,
Dagg, Tomane, Jane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

If I was coach if go Retallick and Whitelock to start with Mowen covering lock and have Higgenbotham and Hooper on the bench.

A. Smith on the bench with Quade (it is at Suncorp after all).

Midfield is interesting, huge Nonu fan, but I think in the ANZAC spirit of balance and "fair go" I'd select an Aussie and I'd go McCabe, who's been on fire of late.

Nonu on the bench to cover the midfield. McCabe can cover wing and with Ben Smith starting we have fullback covered.

Woodcock to start at loosehead and I'd go with Kepu on the bench with Mealamu and Ben Franks.

1. Woodcock
2. Moore
3. O. Franks
4. Retallick
5. S. Whitelock
6. Mowen (VC)
7. McCaw (C)
8. Read
9. Genia
10. Carter
11. J. Savea
12. McCabe
13. C. Smith
14. B. Smith
15. Folau

16. Mealamu
17. B. Franks
18. Kepu
19. Higginbotham
20. Hooper
21. A. Smith
22. Cooper
23. Nonu

For a side that has zero chance of ever existing, that's not bad.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A team like this is more about the concept; the symbolism. As soon as you attempt to create a team under the name 'ANZAC', picking your best 23 is no longer the priority. Especially as a commemoration to the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing.
As much as it may irk the Kiwi's, the player split needs to be as close to 50/50 as it can be in the starting XV and also on the bench.
Let's be honest, if we're picking the best 23 we'll prob only get a couple of Aussies in there so most of the other selections are going to be a little generous anyway.
8 AB's and 7 Wallabies in the XV
4 and 4 on the bench.
Only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A team like this is more about the concept; the symbolism. As soon as you attempt to create a team under the name 'ANZAC', picking your best 23 is no longer the priority. Especially as a commemoration to the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing.
As much as it may irk the Kiwi's, the player split needs to be as close to 50/50 as it can be in the starting XV and also on the bench.
Let's be honest, if we're picking the best 23 we'll prob only get a couple of Aussies in there so most of the other selections are going to be a little generous anyway.
8 AB's and 7 Wallabies in the XV
4 and 4 on the bench.
Only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about odds & evens, that way we get 2 potential sides. Ultimately futile exercise but worth it nonetheless & if the Poms wimp out we could always play each other.

EDIT: Poms'll probably turn up at 3/4 time & say "we've got this, you colonial chaps can go stand over there until such time as we require your services (blood) again". Here's another thought: why not an ANZAC XI to play the Turks at something they know & love? Yes, I'm talking goat herding y'all (or soccer if the networks insist).

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Eddie Jones was in the paper backing this idea.

So whatever micron of support I had for the concept is now gone. Anything Eddie says should be treated with extreme prejudice, and not just because he's had a stroke.

Are you saying that because he's had a stroke his opinion is invalid?:eek:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> Here's another thought: why not an ANZAC XI to play the Turks at something they know & love? Yes, I'm talking goat herding y'all (or soccer if the networks insist).

Good idea. Turkey didn't make the last world cup did they, whereas both NZ and Aust did.

Here's a good trivia question to win a schooner or two.

Q. Which team was unbeaten at the last Soccer World Cup?
A. New Zealand.

Don't think they won any games either. Winners Spain lost a game in the pool play. NZ drew all their games. <yawn>

Status
Not open for further replies.