• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The thing that annoys me most about this Wallaby squad is that it took Deans so fucking long to make obvious decisions....You can trust the bloke to make the right decision - after he has made every possible wrong decision.

I seem to recall Churchill saying something similar about Septics, here 'tis:
“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a valid point. Previous mediocrity shouldn't be a free ride to incumbency. I could handle somebody like JOC (James O'Connor) who has had a great history in Wallaby gold, being given a free ride in based on incumbency if he had not had a good season. But blokes like McCabe, Timani, David Dennis and TPN lately have had maybe the odd good game between mediocre ones yet deserve to be picked on incumbency? I don't believe it counts when they don't deserve to be the incumbent to begin with.

While we are on the topic of it, some of these average, or previously average players could be easily replaced with fresh performing talent without too much detrimental impact. McCabe? Tapuai already has test experience at 12. TPN? The bloke has been injured and looked like a plodder for a couple of seasons. Moore is easily ahead and somebody like James Hanson could be great off the bench. Timani? He's likely to be replaced by Horwill in the starting team anyway. Wouldn't it be better to bring in a new player to the squad to be brought up to speed and come in off the bench anyway? It's not like Timani is a proven pressure performer. Dennis? He has been proven to struggle in Wallaby gold anyway, would Mowen be a huge risk?

Even players like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who have probably earned incumbency have struggled to fire without being given a kick up the arse and pushed out to the wing from time to time. At a time when we have the worst win rate in modern Wallaby history why should we rely on most of our underperforming incumbents? If Deans has gone conservatively in fear of his job, why is he relying on those players that have failed him so many times in the past?

I think you have nailed it precisely!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If the ARU had impeccable ethics they could take that high ground. The fact is they sold the jersey and their ethics when they played Elsom and Vickerman, guaranteeing them the positions without playing to high level or at all in Super Rugby in the years they were picked. If thy deny Smith the opportunity to push for selection on this technicality after they gave the barest nod to the spirit of the same clause for Elsom and Vickerman people can rightly question the reasons behind the decision and will naturally believe that there are ulterior and unwholesome motives. Such are the results of having compromised one's ethical standing.
Maybe Pulver sees it differently to O'Neill, and is making a statement? I would like to see Smith play, though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eddie Jones weighs in.........

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones hopes Quade Cooper returns to Wallabies side for Lions series
  • By former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones
  • News Limited Network
  • April 13, 2013 8:25AM
One hopes Robbie Deans has not left out Quade Cooper from the latest Wallabies logistics camp because of a personal feud but the coach's record in this area is not great.
Rifts with Andrew Mehrtens, Tana Umaga, Matt Giteau and George Smith have hurt previous teams he has coached.
The ongoing tit-for-tat battle between Deans and Queensland Reds flyhalf Cooper leaves one puzzling over what sort of game style the Wallabies are planning to play against the British and Irish Lions.
Cooper and Kurtley Beale are clearly the best fly-halves in Australia.
While Beale battles off-the-field demons, Cooper is battling consistency on the field.
Cooper's best play is sublime. The alert passing on the line and his kicking game are back.
However, his worst is not flash with poor options taken.
But, with the right approach you feel it would be easy for Quade to take better decisions. Playing with an inside centre who can not only run but also distribute would be a big asset for him.
At the Reds, outside Will Genia, he is the only passer of the ball and maybe feels this pressure to always make the play.
Cooper is brilliant, not perfect, but Reds coach Ewen McKenzie coached him to be brilliantly consistent in 2011.
It is there. It just needs to be brought out.
I believe, by not selecting Cooper, Deans has shown his hand on what sort of game he believes can beat the Lions.
James O'Connor is not a Test flyhalf. He has to stop and prop to pass to the left and has no understanding of alignment.
He plays at the same depth regardless of the defence and the speed of the ruck ball. He is an instinctive runner who again can be a matchwinner from wing or fullback.
Brumbies player Christian Lealiifano is a handy inside centre. He is good defensively and carries well but has poor passing and distribution skills.
Against South Africa's Southern Kings, a team with no Springboks, he passed the ball a miserly 10 times last round.
So does Deans expect to brutalise the Lions with a running game where the flyhalf does not run the game but halfback Will Genia does in a one-pass rugby plan?
Very interesting.
In Hamilton, Cooper will play against All Black Aaron Cruden, the most improved No.10 in Super Rugby. He's small-framed but runs, kicks and passes, varies his alignment and defends tough.
Well-coached by former All Blacks coach Wayne Smith, Cruden is a pleasure to watch.
Saturday's game may not revolve around the No.10s but more about the transition from attack to defence from turnover ball or kicks.
One hopes that Cooper finds his mana over the next eight games because the Wallabies will not beat the Lions by one-pass rugby.
As for Smith, the question is not whether my former Japanese club Suntory will release him to play against the Lions but whether the Wallabies want him.
Another week has gone by and no inquiry about Smith has been made - so the best flanker in Australia is also being ignored.
I think he's spot on regarding JOC (James O'Connor) though.........​

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
SO after 17 pages and 320-odd posts, can we officially confirm Cooper and/or Deans as the least liked people in Australian Rugby?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, it's this part at the end of Eddie Jones' article that I find most interesting:

As for Smith, the question is not whether my former Japanese club Suntory will release him to play against the Lions but whether the Wallabies want him.

Another week has gone by and no inquiry about Smith has been made - so the best flanker in Australia is also being ignored.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Jones aludes to Deans and Smith having beef in the past?

This situation is fucking unbelievable.

The ARU are willing to go out on a limb to keep Barnes around for the lions tour but when it comes to a modern great like Smith he's all of a sudden not worth the hassle.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fotu isn't versatile off the bench for a Test match, if we go with 4:3 we need a lock (preferably MMM to cover lock and 6/8) and an openside (obviously Hooper or Gill)

P

Paradox

Would like to see 3M in there. Have mixed feelings about Cooper but he's fantastic at his best. Other than that, the squad is pretty good. The starting XV and bench is going to cause more fights.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Why, neither have proven themselves as irreplaceable for the wallabies. Neither have done much this year. It isn't like they are Genia, Moore, Pocock or even TPN.

I think it stinks that fringe internationals with no form get picked in a squad that should be representative of the best in our country, while others that have performed better this year (Eg Fainga'a) or previously (eg Mitchell) miss out.

If you aren't an automatic starting choice for your province when fit, how is it possible that you are an automatic squad selection for your country?

Who of the "fringe internationals" you name would be holding our Fainga'a? McCabe? I would say that Ant is just as fringe and personally would prefer to see him there over McCabe. Who is holding out Mitchell? Timani? Unlikely. So after Timani played fairly well last year, what lock is replacing him? Luke Jones? I can see why Deans would go with the known quantity.

Seems to me like two pretty marginal players to take issue with.

Personally, I'd have Mitchell in there, and probably Ant over McCabe (same in attack, better defensive organizer). But I don't see why anyone would have their knickers in a knot over some pretty fringe and fairly defensible selections.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I dont like Cooper.
I dont really see how Deans can go with anyone else for the Lions.
Pleas help.

Before the Incident, I'd have said Beale would be it. Now it'll be JOC (James O'Connor). I think it's a mistake. Parts of his game at 10 remind me a bit of Gits, both good and bad.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I seem to recall Churchill saying something similar about Septics, here 'tis:
“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Kinda lucky the Americans didn't though need a 5-year long learning curve to enter WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies.