• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
What's interesting there is that Bob Dwyer, in his first stint, had 43.75%.

Bob Dwyer....cannot see that name without the numbers 96-19 flashing before my eyes.

I still maintain that Jones' record against the AIGs is only better than Deans, on account of Jones had an even higher quality resources to waste.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Bob Dwyer..cannot see that name without the numbers 96-19 flashing before my eyes.

I still maintain that Jones' record against the AIGs is only better than Deans, on account of Jones had an even higher quality resources to waste.
What happened to Sam Harris btw?

T

Train Without a Station

Bill Young, Matt Dunning, Wendell Sailer, David Lyons, etc. ? Yeah You're right. Pretty irreplacable.

We probably now have an overall stronger Tight 5, equal at 9 and in the back row, weaker at 10, stronger at 12, weaker at 13 and equal to stronger in the back 3.

You can't say now with 175 total players exposed to Super Rugby that we have inferior resources to when Jones was coach and we had probably 120 professional players. We've lost some once in a generation players, we've gained some as well. In addition we now have more depth to pick from, as each player has 4 competing players at Super level as opposed to 2 back then.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It is not just the Wallabies who've struggled against the All Blacks in recent years.

Since Deans took over as Wallabies coach, the All Blacks have played 63 tests, won 54 of them, drawn one and lost 8.

2 of the losses and the draw have been against the Wallabies.

France and South Africa are the only teams to have beaten the All Blacks in New Zealand (once each).

Perhaps, but SA hasn't lost to Samoa, Scotland x 2, home series against England, Ireland etc etc etc

If it was JUST an inability to beat NZ, I wouldn't want him to fuck off so much. Its the other stuff, the brainless selections, tactics, gameplans, etc etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just out of interest, who do you think has NOT demonstrated 'sufficient attacking flair'?

Other than a token, misguided (IMO) 'Berrick Barnes' I am unsure as to exactly who falls in this bracket.

For starters, Pat McCabe at 12. After him, yes I would also include Berrick at 10, Horne at 13, and both Phipps and McKibbon at 9. In the forwards I would include Brown, McCalman and Hodgson as well as Dennis. I can't remember anyone playing 8.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
About 30 minutes before I read BRs post I was thinking the same thing. We need to be playing a quality and style of rugby that moves us towards being the best in the world. Players that have only been solid and can only ever be solid should not gain automatic selection without form at super xv.

Our style under Deans has never looked to be going for the best in world team, more to be not the worst in the world.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
About 30 minutes before I read BRs post I was thinking the same thing. We need to be playing a quality and style of rugby that moves us towards being the best in the world. Players that have only been solid and can only ever be solid should not gain automatic selection without form at super xv.

Our style under Deans has never looked to be going for the best in world team, more to be not the worst in the world.
Well put

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The wide range of opinions expressed on this thread and the Wallabies Watch thread, I think, illustrates the uncertainty surrounding the way the Lions tests should be played being felt by the rugby community. This seems to manifest itself in debates about the selection of particular players as well as the selection strategies that should be adopted, ie whether incumbancy should overrule current form and/or potential, particularly when the latter would involve a debutant, or whether a conservative game plan is needed against the Lions. To a degree, I can understand where various posters are coming from. A few Tahs fans have argued strongly in favour of incumbancy maybe because that will see more of their players making the matchday 22. Reds fans seem to favour changing the Wallabies' game plan to be more attacking, and the only way to get that is to have Genia, Cooper and Taps at 9, 10 and 12. Brumbies' fans, including me, tend to say that incumbancy should not take precedence, hoping that a few more in-form Brumbies will be selected.

I would like to put forward the proposition that the Lions tests are not the be-all and end-all of the Wallabies' season. In fact, the real game is still the RC and Bledisloe contests. Will winning or losing to the Lions affect the Wallabies' ranking in any fashion. I don't know, but would be extremely disappointed if that was the case. The Lions do not represent a single rugby playing nation and to my knowledge do not have a ranking. In fact, they are more in the nature of Barbarians matches, though will play a more traditional and competitive game because they are together for a comprehensive tour rather than just being thrown together with almost no preparation time.

So what type of approach and game plan should the Wallabies adopt? Would winning or losing the series affect the Wallabies' position in world rugby? Or would it see Deans appointed for a further period, or alternatively sacked? To my way of thinking, this series should be seen as a forerunner to the real contests later in the year. It would be great to win 3-0, but I would prefer it to be an opportunity to set the Wallabies up for the All Blacks et al. I therefore believe we should be adopting a more attacking game plan, and be selecting the players who are in form and capable of playing to that plan. I do not subscribe to the notion that players should be selected simply because they are incumbant. In similar vein, I do not believe the Lions series should prevent worthy debutants from gaining selection.

I would submit that players who are known to be heading overseas or to other codes ought to be omitted if they will not be available for the later tests. The players selected should otherwise be the best available even if it means they are debuting. Most importantly, they need to be those who have consistently demonstrated sufficient attacking flair to contribute to a game plan that could threaten or even defeat the All Blacks, Saffas and Argies later in the year.
Great post, to me it's not just about winning its about putting on a show before Rugby dies a slow death in Australia

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have no problem with folau or debutants playing if they earn it.

I would say that at 15 Mogg is better than Folau at the moment, but gee, Folau is learning the game quickly. Not too sure about the wings.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Why?

He's blown in this season as a mercenary. The others are long term rugby players. There is a big difference between picking a 1 season wonder, and someone who's played rugby all their life, for the rarest event in world rugby. If Issy wants to play the Lions he should commit to rugby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why?

He's blown in this season as a mercenary. The others are long term rugby players. There is a big difference between picking a 1 season wonder, and someone who's played rugby all their life, for the rarest event in world rugby. If Issy wants to play the Lions he should commit to rugby.

Yeah, but why does it have to be for three years? And at what point does he stop becoming a 'mercenary' and start becoming a 'rugby player'? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? What is the difference between Joe Tomane and Israel Folau?

If he signs with league before the Lions series (which he may or may not do), then I don't think we should pick him. But if not I think we should- it doesn't matter how long he has been playing the game, if he is one of the best 15/22 rugby players in the country then he deserves the jersey.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
People can talk about him being caught out of position, being found wanting in defence, out of position here or there, etc. But the fact is: He scores tries.

He's contracted to the tahs for this season. He is eligible to play for the wallabies without any shenanigans or extending invitations or whatever with no need to debate any self imposed rules the ARU have.

If the object of the game is to score more points than the opposition and tries are worth more points than any other method of scoring, why would you not try to have the guy that seems to have a knack in putting the ball down over the line no matter how shite/ordinary/well his team is playing?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd pick folau on the wing if he is signed on for next year. Otherwise I'd give the honor to someone else. It's not like we are short on quality wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.