• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting comment above that hooper ain't an 80 min test player, you obviously didn't watch the 9 test matches that hooper played 80 mins last year and was voted by his peers as the wallabies best 4 times, SA twice, Argentina and france and official motm against England, in the remaining 4 matches would have been top 3.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
... entitled to their opinion?

Cooper saying he "didn't want to be involved" in that kind of "toxic environment" and his "yellow jersey" comments were stupid statements.

For me they are not irredeemable, but I can see why others think this indicates an untenable relationship between the player and coach.

I would select QC (Quade Cooper) because IMO he can provide a better attacking platform and a better of chance of winning. But if Deans can't work with him then it's not going to produce those results, and he's unlikely to be selected anyway.

And it's looks to be heading that way at the moment, while Deans remains coach.

Indeed, and thank goodness it is so heading. It will be far better for everyone involved if QC (Quade Cooper) never plays again under Deans:

- If the Wallabies fall away again this year in key contests, Deans has absolute form as a 'blames the players not me' style of coach, and QC (Quade Cooper) will for sure be the fall guy (amongst others) for this and it could irrevocably destroy his (QC (Quade Cooper)'s) confidence at Test level or prevent his future Wallaby select-ability ever again;

- In such a scenario QC (Quade Cooper) would likely leave for the NH or league and his obvious S15 talent lost to the Reds (vital for all Aus rugby they keep very competitive over, say, 2014-16);

- if poor results occur in the BIL or Bled Deans will surely use 'the X-factor, high profile players let me down' excuses with the ARU and we may, yet again, find them indulgent of his job-saving tactics;

- Let the many parties whom argue that QC (Quade Cooper) is not needed test that hypothesis cleanly and over a full season statistically uncontaminated by any QC (Quade Cooper) involvement;

- If JOC (James O'Connor), Matt T or Lilo consistently shine as 10, all the better for the game and QC (Quade Cooper) lives to fight another day with (hopefully) a new coach and his clean selection sheet and someone with whom he's likely to be more compatible. Good for QC (Quade Cooper)'s next stage development, probably good for future Wallaby options as well.

So, the pluses for a 2013 Wallabies campaign with no QC (Quade Cooper) are considerable and obvious.

Allsports

Stan Wickham (3)
Brumby runner interestingly on ESPNSCRUM last weekend your 9,10 & 12 made 35 tackles compared to the Reds 9,10,12 = 15. Your no9 was 6th on the tackle count. Brumbies defence is obviously the responsibility of all. I wonder tho if that's going to effect their attack. This weekend should tell a few tales but won't be end of either team this season. Great to see 2 Aus teams going so well, looking forward to sat night.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
"Quade got absolutely sledged for what he said on television yet Deans has held his position largely unchallenged now even after years of clearly trying to force a game-plan which has not worked and after countless dubious selections for which he was never once called to answer for, at least not in any official capacity. On one hand you have Quade disrespecting the G&G through his words, and on the other hand you have Deans bringing the G&G to their lowest point in over a decade (seemingly largely) through his actions. Yet one of them is still undoubtedly an active part of the Wallaby setup while the other may not be, just a little bit funny to me".

QC (Quade Cooper)'s current situation is unfortunately wholly self-inflicted, however I have absolutely NO Doubt that Hawker did not put the offer back on the table without talking to Deans first, about what was - and was not - possible this year.

I also have zero doubt that the ARU will be swapping Deans for McKenzie at the end of what might just be a regrettable Lions Campaign for Australia...

To me the oddest thing is that Deans showed unquestioning faith in Cooper at the World Cup - (didn't he play him in every match)? I would love to know what happened between that campaign and the apparent bust-up, as on the surface, it seems unfathomable.

However - I must take exception with your statement that Deans has brought the Wallabies to their lowest point... With the exception to the packer-of-fags-and-a-few-VBs-before-the-match days that I grew up on as a kid, No-one will ever touch Eddie Jones as a coach(???) 2001-2005 who brought Australian Rugby to its knees, and squandered the best quality Rugby Talent Australia has ever produced - at least in terms of so many high-quality players being available at the same time... I would place them against the 1984 Wallabies as the best we have had - talent-wise.

If only Australia had not performed beyond expectation at his first World Cup - we could have been spared the ignomy of the whole 'Jones-era/debacle'... such as it was... Those Years were a lower-ebb than I ever want to see again... Deans has done almost as badly - but he has done it with less talent in IMHO.

And yet, even with Jones' embarrassing record, he still sees fit to express his opinion on EVERYTHING.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I had to get my dictionary out there....

Personally I don't mind the yellow. The shepherd's crook however....

I think the ARU should be blockaded in their Offices until they unconditionally submit - and promise to stop &*^%$@# around with the Jersey. Its Green and GOLD, Green and GOLD, Green and GOLD.

One last thought on Cooper - when he made his rant lasy year, NOT ONE Player, made any attempt to defend or cover for him. That suggests his comments lay well outside the perceptions of others in the squad... Could it be that RD is simply aware of a significant section of the Wallaby squad who have said "Enough is enough"?

I am a serious Cooper 'fan' - but in my book, If the ARU took the stance that someone who made comments about not being willing to play if selected, should never be allowed to play for the Wallabies again, I would support it - and I think it would be good for Rugby in Oz in the long term...

As would be locking Cooper's Agent out of the Game.

A culture where everything is ultimately forgivable, is not a culture at all...

While I am on it, RD should be speaking to Digby and suggesting that 'signage' shaved into the side of heads is not a 'Wallaby Look' either... maybe that would look better in France.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Digby's hair signage is no worse than all of the ink the players have on them these days. You could argue that it is better as it's only temporary! But we digress.......

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting stats from last weekend with all the talk about the importance of defence for a #10 and defending in the line or not.

To'omua defended in the front line v Highlanders and made 7 tackles whilst missing 1.

Cooper didn't defend in the front line v Chiefs and made 7 tackles whilst missing 2.

JOC (James O'Connor) made 5 tackles and missed none v Kings.

SNK made 12 tackles and missed 1 v Crusaders.
JOC (James O'Connor) is a great defender. Probably the best out of that bunch.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I haven't got an issue withthe Ink - don't like it & don't dislike it... but Grown Men fussing with their Hair - and in (Ma’a Nonu's case; His Eyebrows), is wayyyy to Metrosexual for my tastes...

Having said that - the 'gang/ggangsta' nonsense spread about by some high-profile players is a major turn-off. If that was allowed to go too far, my kids would NOT be playing Rugby...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I haven't got an issue withthe Ink - don't like it & don't dislike it. but Grown Men fussing with their Hair - and in (Ma’a Nonu's case; His Eyebrows), is wayyyy to Metrosexual for my tastes.

Having said that - the 'gang/ggangsta' nonsense spread about by some high-profile players is a major turn-off. If that was allowed to go too far, my kids would NOT be playing Rugby.

All of this is surely just a reflection of youth culture rather than anything specific to rugby.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For a truly gansta experience try searching for some of your favourtie pages using gizoogle. Translates most pages into fully pimped out gangta hollarin'. No idea what it's got to do with Rugby, but since this thread is reducing itself to haircuts and youth cultures I thought why not. ;-)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Just out of interest, how did you (and others here) feel when the ARU itself decided to entirely dispense with any pretence of actually providing our Wallabies with a gold jersey, but inexplicably (as far as I know) moved to various yellow-ey shades from daffodil to near-canary?

Could this not be protested as something of an unjustified abrogation of a deeply-rooted national symbolism?

I prefer the lighter shades, because it provides consistency with (most of) our other athletes. If it's gold for them then it's gold for us. Calling it yellow's the problem.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
"Quade got absolutely sledged for what he said on television yet Deans has held his position largely unchallenged now even after years of clearly trying to force a game-plan which has not worked and after countless dubious selections for which he was never once called to answer for, at least not in any official capacity. On one hand you have Quade disrespecting the G&G through his words, and on the other hand you have Deans bringing the G&G to their lowest point in over a decade (seemingly largely) through his actions. Yet one of them is still undoubtedly an active part of the Wallaby setup while the other may not be, just a little bit funny to me".

QC (Quade Cooper)'s current situation is unfortunately wholly self-inflicted, however I have absolutely NO Doubt that Hawker did not put the offer back on the table without talking to Deans first, about what was - and was not - possible this year.

I also have zero doubt that the ARU will be swapping Deans for McKenzie at the end of what might just be a regrettable Lions Campaign for Australia.

To me the oddest thing is that Deans showed unquestioning faith in Cooper at the World Cup - (didn't he play him in every match)? I would love to know what happened between that campaign and the apparent bust-up, as on the surface, it seems unfathomable.

However - I must take exception with your statement that Deans has brought the Wallabies to their lowest point. With the exception to the packer-of-fags-and-a-few-VBs-before-the-match days that I grew up on as a kid, No-one will ever touch Eddie Jones as a coach(???) 2001-2005 who brought Australian Rugby to its knees, and squandered the best quality Rugby Talent Australia has ever produced - at least in terms of so many high-quality players being available at the same time. I would place them against the 1984 Wallabies as the best we have had - talent-wise.

If only Australia had not performed beyond expectation at his first World Cup - we could have been spared the ignomy of the whole 'Jones-era/debacle'. such as it was. Those Years were a lower-ebb than I ever want to see again. Deans has done almost as badly - but he has done it with less talent in IMHO.

And yet, even with Jones' embarrassing record, he still sees fit to express his opinion on EVERYTHING.

And yet despite him squandering everything, we came closer to winning, and looked far more like a team that actually had some semblance of a game plan, than at any point under Dingo.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
And everyone seems to be conveniently ignoring the fact that Cooper said he wouldn't play if selected, because he didn't feel he would be able to do his best. His mindset was negative, confidence low, the coach had just publicly slagged him and thrown him to the Wolves against NZ with no extra fitness or physio than the previous weekend (when he was deemed not fit and ignored) and was obviously therefore not feeling up to it.

Cooper is just not eloquent enough to say that, and was unfortunately playing to Khoder Nasser's script. Nasser should be black banned from representing players wishing to negotiate with the ARU.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Brumby runner interestingly on ESPNSCRUM last weekend your 9,10 & 12 made 35 tackles compared to the Reds 9,10,12 = 15. Your no9 was 6th on the tackle count. Brumbies defence is obviously the responsibility of all. I wonder tho if that's going to effect their attack. This weekend should tell a few tales but won't be end of either team this season. Great to see 2 Aus teams going so well, looking forward to sat night.

That statistical fact has to be looked at in the light of who they played. The Chiefs play to the wings so 13,11&14 would have done the tackling in the backs for the Reds. The Highlanders however tried to dominate up front and around the fringes. Hence the disparity. Any use of statistics must be accompanied by a thorough discussion of why said numbers occurred, straight comparisons yield nothing of value except over a whole season where the team variables are removed, though you would still need to discuss weather factors etc.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd have Godwin in before Pat McCabe - he has much better attacking & passing ability and is definitely a Wallaby in the not-too- distant future
Since Giteau left and Barnes moved to 10, we haven't really had a natural 12. I like Tapuai and I think he and Godwin are the Barnes and Giteau of the next generation.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
... entitled to their opinion?

Cooper saying he "didn't want to be involved" in that kind of "toxic environment" and his "yellow jersey" comments were stupid statements.

For me they are not irredeemable, but I can see why others think this indicates an untenable relationship between the player and coach.

I would select QC (Quade Cooper) because IMO he can provide a better attacking platform and a better of chance of winning. But if Deans can't work with him then it's not going to produce those results, and he's unlikely to be selected anyway.

And it's looks to be heading that way at the moment, while Deans remains coach.

I am not sure Deans works with anybody. He doesn't seem to consult when working out how he wants the team to play and how he can get the best out of the players. I'm not suggesting the inmates should run the asylum though other coaches generally brainstorm and involve the thoughts of the players and to the benefit of the team. Link and JW through their respective assistants seem to do this and getting good responses from the players. My understanding is the cartel ran the AB's in a similar fashion for good reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.