• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My team would be the below given it looks as though Simmons & To'omua are gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone:

Slipper
Fainga'a
Kepu
Carter
Skelton
Fardy
Hooper (C)
Higginbotham
Genia
Foley
Tomane
Horne (Beale cannot defend here in Test rugby)
Kurindrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Bench - Hanson, Alexander, anyone but rolly polly Robinson, Horwill, Hodgson, Phipps, Beale & Lea'liafano.

The likes of Genia, Cooper, Pocock, TPN, Moore, Speight, Sio, etc cannot return fast enough. I think he's a pest and really hope he's grown up but the same goes for O'Connor - the kid can play.

Can't see Link putting either Skelton or Schatz in the starting lineup. Surely, they've been called up as reserves or injury cover. So, I believe Horwill will start with Skelton on the bench. Otherwise, I agree with the team you have nominated, but would be happy to see Robbo given another go off the bench. Just hope the bench only gets a run late in the game if it is already won or lost, other than for injury replacement earlier. Think that was the biggest issue with the test loss to the SAffas. Game was still in the balance and players who had been giving their all were brought off. Not a good tactic imo.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
for mine, this is a perfect opportunity - dead rubber, can't finish last in the tournament - to try the 12. Kuridrani 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) combo.

remember Rod Macqueen - a great, experimentalist and innovative coach - uncovering one of the world's all-time great 5/8s by sending a fullback to that position when an injury occurred? nothing game, Scotland the opponent.

it won't be done in this case.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
for mine, this is a perfect opportunity - dead rubber, can't finish last in the tournament - to try the 12. Kuridrani 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) combo.

remember Rod Macqueen - a great, experimentalist and innovative coach - uncovering one of the world's all-time great 5/8s by sending a fullback to that position when an injury occurred? nothing game, Scotland the opponent.

it won't be done in this case.

Why why why? Fuck me. Kuridrani just looked like a world beater at 13 and you want to move him to a spot he has never played, at least at a high level.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why why why? Fuck me. Kuridrani just looked like a world beater at 13 and you want to move him to a spot he has never played, at least at a high level.

clearly, because Bob Dwyer is an incompetent?

btw, Bernie was going very well at fullback before he was given the morph to 10, wasn't he?
so, Macqueen is also a certifiably incompetent coach?

T

Train Without a Station

btw, Bernie was going very well at fullback before he was given the morph to 10, wasn't he?

Australia had a hole at 10 and it was discussed with Larkham well prior to that game about playing at flyhalf actually. It wasn't rolled out for a test where they arrived without their luggage 5 days before kick off.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Having a giant at 12 isn't fantasy though. Just an option the Wallabies haven't explored for years. And given our results over the past decade, maybe it's time they did.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No mention of S,Fainga and his improved scrum work. I was impressed with out scrum last weekend and even more impressed we were able to dominate at times with Fainga in there. Seems like his scrum is no longer a weakness for him.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having a giant at 12 isn't fantasy though. Just an option the Wallabies haven't explored for years. And given our results over the past decade, maybe it's time they did.

it's not as simple as "putting a giant at 12".
there is far more to "it" than that.
for example, 12. Kuridrani 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a very different animal to 12. Kuridrani 13. Beale or The Brand.

watch the play of the top team now.
attack features very strongly sheer boshing through the channels of the centres.

yes, it is time for Australians to re-appraise how we play the game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
it's not as simple as "putting a giant at 12".
there is far more to "it" than that.
for example, 12. Kuridrani 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a very different animal to 12. Kuridrani 13. Beale or The Brand.

watch the play of the top team now.
attack features very strongly sheer boshing the the channels of the centres.

yes, it is time for Australians to re-appraise how we play the game.

I agree generally but the progress of M Nonu from bulldozing winger to ball playing 12 is worth remembering.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Australia had a hole at 10 and it was discussed with Larkham well prior to that game about playing at flyhalf actually. It wasn't rolled out for a test where they arrived without their luggage 5 days before kick off.

can you assure us that The Coach isn't talking with his backs about how they will play the game on Saturday prior to the event?
i certainly hope he is.

what has the arrival/ non arrival of baggage got to do with thinking, talking and rehearsing for a rugby game?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree generally but the progress of M Nonu from bulldozing winger to ball playing 12 is worth remembering.

noted.
it's been surprising.
Nonu hasn't dropped the bosh from his game, though.
when the AIGs want the ball over the gain line and momentum rolling forward they don't give it to Beau or Aaron for some stepping, do they?
then, Ma'a is the man.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Why TK though, I would say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be my 12, he has more skills then TK in a pass and a kick. TK offloads and straightens, his not likely to ever be able to have a clearing kick

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Mate can we please stop referring to Skelton as assisting the scrum. He scrummages too high and therefore appears to be less effective (when comparing scrum performances in games between when he is on and when he isn't) primarily due to his biggest strength, his bulk.

Will will be in the team no doubt but his unique skill set, etc. have been less effective against top tier opposition so let's not get carried away as if he will undoubtedly be the savior.

And speaking about Will's, I can only hope Genia does not get anywhere near the starting line up as with the exception of 1 or 2 games he was pedestrian in 2014.

Fair point with regards to his scrummaging but training and playing test rugby is only going to improve the guy dramatically in a short time and lord knows we lack size & strength up front.

Don't think I ever mentioned Skelton would be 'the saviour' but you'd be ignorant to ignore the fact he has unique skills and again these will only get better (& could be developed as decoy options attracting 2-3 defenders) being in and around the test environment. We've seen what Simmons, Horwill, etc can offer and it's not setting the world on fire so what do we stand to lose here?

Genia was playing injured in a losing Reds team and is the best halfback in the world when fit and firing. If only we had blokes across the board half as mentally tough right now.

"Will has demonstrated enormous mental fortitude to play through the injury although it has reached a point where it’s important he gets it surgically repaired so that he can get back to 100 percent fitness," McKenzie said - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/will-genia-ruled-out-for-eight-weeks-with-ankle-injury-20140615-zs8bs.html#ixzz3EmaDQ2XW

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why TK though, I would say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be my 12, he has more skills then TK in a pass and a kick. TK offloads and straightens, his not likely to ever be able to have a clearing kick

very good point.
thanks for bringing that up.

my point is that the structure is the issue, rather than just the players.
i want to see us try two big, tough centres who can bosh with the best, dash a little, bash a lot and handle marauding big opposition centres and back rowers.
i want us to have serious boshing power in the centres' channels.
how we get that is, to me, the real question.

i have commented elsewhere that some very smart coaches are procuring monster (120 kg and +) wingers.
other coaches are assembling veritable arsenals of monster centres - The Bomber has Tuilagi, Burrell, 36 and others and soon S. Burgess, all 110 kg+.
some coaches are deploying fast monsters for the back row to bosh in the centres' channels.

i have seen the future and it's on the rugby fields right now.
thankfully, The Great Cheik also has seen it.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
can you assure us that The Coach isn't talking with his backs about how they will play the game on Saturday prior to the event?
i certainly hope he is.

what has the arrival/ non arrival of baggage got to do with thinking, talking and rehearsing for a rugby game?

Biffo, I would have thought that you, of all people, would appreciate having your own 'hair product', deodorant, and toothpaste when preparing for an important event!

Status
Not open for further replies.