• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU take over the Western Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My perception is the opposite,the more we focus on early Jnr programs, the worse we do at jnr world champs.
Maybe the current programs are answering the wrong questions?

And if people don't want to believe you and I, there's a significant body of scientific evidence out there which suggests that these early junior programmes actually limit skill aquisition and lead to low retention rates.

Sound familiar?;)

http://nsw.baseball.com.au/Portals/...gagement from a Developmental Perspective.pdf

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am confused who teams should be recruiting and selecting.

New Zealand selects the best young players big or small and they consistently are better than our best players, big or small.

It seems that many are arguing for a bygone era where there isn't competition to sign players and you can wait until everyone has played club rugby for a few years before taking your pick.

I don't think I've ever watched one of our schoolboy or under 20s games against NZ or South Africa and thought that their players looked small relative to ours. Generally it is the other way around.
Probably because the Union players in NZ are their best athletes. In OZ the best athletes firstly pick AFL or NRL and then Rugby Union. Joe Tomane couldn't make the 1st grade at the NRL and went straight to Union. Taqele couldn't make the first grade at the NRL, and went straight to Super Rugby. and now Caleb Timu.

With guys like Johnathan Thurston, Matt Scott, Sam Thaiday, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith playing Union the Wallabies would smash the ABs every year

T

TOCC

. Joe Tomane couldn't make the 1st grade at the NRL and went straight to Union. Taqele couldn't make the first grade at the NRL, and went straight to Super Rugby. and now Caleb Timu.

Different skill-sets and attributes..
Will Chambers went the other way, was a starter at the Storm before he switched, had a good season in Super Rugby in 2010 but was a bench player at the Reds in 2011, went back to NRL where he is a state of origin and Kangaroos representative.

Joe Tomane was also a regular starter in the NRL before he switched over to union, not to mention he had a background in rugby.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Different skill-sets and attributes..
Will Chambers went the other way, was a starter at the Storm before he switched, had a good season in Super Rugby in 2010 but was a bench player at the Reds in 2011, went back to NRL where he is a state of origin and Kangaroos representative.

Joe Tomane was also a regular starter in the NRL before he switched over to union, not to mention he had a background in rugby.
Ok but the thing is that OZ has 5 times the population of NZ, is a larger economy by far and can't compete against the Kiwis. Indeed, the Union players aren't the best athletes in OZ. Imagine if the Roosters or Broncos would be Super Rugby franchises. The reality would be different against Kiwis

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hmm, I'm not so in love with your Broncos & Roosters.
Undoubtedly outside backs have similar skill sets.
There is zero place for League props,where are your League back rowers going to play?
IMO league halves are over coached and very one dimensional.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is zero place for League props,where are your League back rowers going to play?

I want their sponsors, their advertisements, their kids playing grassroots, their crowds and then their players. Of course the current League players can't play at the Union tight-five positions. In the first years you will have an overpopulation at the backline and backrow but with some years of development guys like Sam Thaiday, Matt Scott, Paul Gallen and others physical players could be Union forwards like Brad Thorn.

However, this is bullsh*t. We are talking about something that will never happen

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just what we need, another proven failure.

Actually I wonder how Lancaster would have gone if he'd had the political backing to dump Farrell. England were playing some very good Rugby prior to the RWC and I would have backed them to run for the finals, but just like Deans in 2011 decided to go all conservative and risk free come RWC time. The players didn't know whether they were Arthur or Marther and it showed in attack and defence, just like with the Deans Wallabies. I wonder how much of this was the input of Farrell. Lancaster has to take the fall being the "head" coach but many reports say that Farrell had a extremely high level of decision making power for an "assistant".

As with any system the Head Coach is only the first step and some significant support would be required from a complete coaching and fitness group.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The vast majority of the creative players in the NRL generally come from backgrounds where the early elite coaching programmes aren't accessible.

Indigenous kids, Fijians etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.