• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Asange "rape" case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I reckon he must have his hands on something big. I can't see why they are so desperate to shut him down otherwise, because this latest stuff is pretty tame. I understand it causes embarrasment, but is it enough to orchestrate such a large, legally sketchy campaign to take him out?

Or maybe I am reading too many crime thrillers.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lots of theories that his stuff on an American bank is what's big. Rumours circulating that what he has will prove that BoA has been basically insolvent since the GFC (it is believed that they have a hard drive from a BoA exec's computed). If that's true, then the US financial system will take a huge hit. Also rumours that he has stuff on the Vampire Squid. Again, lots of rumours and theories.

Like a lot of people, I am waiting to see exactly what it is that he has on a US bank.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, sorry for the three posts in a row, but it's nice to know that the US is finally doing away with the pretense that it obeys international law or cares about it and is now just out in the open saying what had been previously implied, which is: "you mess with us, and we'll find a way to screw you".

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does anyone know the legalities of someone publishing material that has been illegally obtained? E.g. if person X steals something from person Y but gives it to person Z, why is person Z permitted use that information in anyway they please (especially for personal gain) even if they know person X obtained it illegally? It doesn't sound quite right to me.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Does anyone know the legalities of someone publishing material that has been illegally obtained? E.g. if person X steals something from person Y but gives it to person Z, why is person Z permitted use that information in anyway they please (especially for personal gain) even if they know person X obtained it illegally? It doesn't sound quite right to me.

It is what newspapers do every day. Leaking of information is also a major tool of governments for dissemination of information. The bigger issue I see here is that it is a 'new' media source that has published the information and it is not being received well by the governments that have been embarassed. The reaction of the governments is pretty scary. If the Times or the Washington Post was running with these stories, their journalists would not be being arrested on trivial charges, the main purpose of which seems to be to get them into US Custody for prosecution under a law that hasn't been written yet.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
From my 2 mins of research, it seems that wikileaks is very careful to not solict specific material and is presented as a not for profit organisation so the legality of their actions would be hard to prove. I also found reference to Joolyas actual words yesterday http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2010/s3086783.htm and, as usual when its a pollie, when read carefully her message wasn't quite what it appeared. So all seems above board to this bush lawyer.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Brandis, Rudd, Turnbull and even Howard are saying sensible things. Only Gillard and McClelland are assuming guilt.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lots of theories that his stuff on an American bank is what's big. Rumours circulating that what he has will prove that BoA has been basically insolvent since the GFC (it is believed that they have a hard drive from a BoA exec's computed). If that's true, then the US financial system will take a huge hit. Also rumours that he has stuff on the Vampire Squid. Again, lots of rumours and theories.

Like a lot of people, I am waiting to see exactly what it is that he has on a US bank.

What's the Vampire Squid story??

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Oh, sorry for the three posts in a row, but it's nice to know that the US is finally doing away with the pretense that it obeys international law or cares about it and is now just out in the open saying what had been previously implied, which is: "you mess with us, and we'll find a way to screw you".

To be followed by more propaganda about how America is all about "freedom" and "democracy". They really are an evil totalitarian regime & the biggest threat to world peace. The bemusing part is they simply cannot comprehend that they are the bad guys.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Someone may have already mentioned it because it occurred a few days ago but did anyone else think it was funny that Sarah Palin thought it was a treasonous act and that he should be charged.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Funny or sad?
To think she was the running mate in a presidential election sums up everything that is bad about the good old America.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I also found her to be quite funny when she earlier in the month said that the USA should support their ally North Korea during the recent tensions on the Korean Peninsula. THis women will make history for all the wrong reasons. Just dont give her the launch codes. I cant believe that the Fox News network guys dont break out laughing when they defend her. The shit's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.