1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by RugbyReg, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Up the Guts Mark Ella (57)

Agreed but it was nice to see Botham talking about “how easy it was for Archer” get a bit of egg in his face.
  2. John S Bob Loudon (25)

Well, this is what I had hoped for. Best bit was I was having dinner with a pom mate, with the TV on silent, so just watching it while talking. England seem to still be on One-day mode, they need to leave balls.
  3. Up the Guts Mark Ella (57)

Hahaha, imagine how much you’d have won if you bet on Australia having a 100+ lead this morning.
    Hound likes this.
  4. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

Wow. The Chariot has blown 2 wheels, and the horses are dead.
    Now, as long as we don't get rolled for 80.
  5. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Well we're already one down, but in the context of the game the lead is already significant.
  6. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

Hmmm. Still think this game is up for grabs. Unless we get a big lead, you have to think this pitch will flatten out some. Chasing might be easier than we hope.
  7. John S Bob Loudon (25)

Yeah, Warner has been Broad's bunny this series though. We just need to hold out and get a good lead. Either way, England will have a few days to chase, unless we really drag it out and bat for rest of today, and all tomorrow.
    cyclopath likes this.
  8. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

Some real lack of technique on display today from both teams. Last 2 Aussie wickets were weak shots from Harris and Khawaja.
  9. John S Bob Loudon (25)

Both teams need to go back to batting for tests - you can leave the ball occasionally
  10. Lindommer Steve Williams (59)

Lyon went wicketless in the Poms' first innings. Look out for revenge when they bat again.
  11. Hound Jimmy Flynn (14)

Wow What a night. Great bowling by the Aussies. Hazlewood and co left teh Poms for dead. Warner catching was bloody good. Good lead and if we can push that out to 350 or so it will be our game to lose.
    RugbyReg likes this.
  12. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeah I reckon we only need another 50 to put the game out of sight (in the context of a low scoring contest). Marnus again showed his mettle out there. I think we're starting to see what the selectors saw in him, even though his first class record has been pretty modest. He's a bloke with a pretty solid technique and most importantly a good temperament for test cricket. I'd love for him to push on from here and make a hundred. I also like how he pushes for the singles and rotates the strike, that's important.

What can you say about the quicks yesterday, they were as ruthless as we'd hoped.

Let's push on and put it beyond doubt boys.
  13. Finsbury Girl Bill McLean (32)

Great to see some clever intimidating fast bowling.

The boys were magnificent (and yet again covered for the batsmen).

Some of the shot selection from both sides was absolutely woeful and lack of footwork never more apparent. What the hell was Wade thinking?

England fielding atrocious whereas we've improved massively.

Surely we cannot carry Paine forever. He looks completely at sea ; case in point that bloody review?? Utterly perplexing. With the urn in hand time to move him on quietly.

Khawaja & Wade will probably owe their continued careers to the 3 quicks if we win from here (which we should). Having said that, it looks like batting is getting easier.
  14. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Paine will retire at the end of the Ashes I reckon. A winning captain who took the job over at the hardest time since AB in 1984. He's done a fantastic job.

Alex Carey will came straight as keeper. No idea who captain will be. I'm old school and can't quite get my head around a bowler as skipper
    Sully and The_Brown_Hornet like this.
  15. Up the Guts Mark Ella (57)

Head is the anointed future captain. I think Paine will hold on until Head is ready or until Smith’s ban is over and Smith can take the reigns till Head is prepared.
  16. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeah Paine is not going to be the long term option, I think everyone knows that. He's still the best 'keeper in the country by some distance though.
    RugbyReg likes this.
  17. Sully John Eales (66)

I thought Smith's ban was permanent?
  18. John S Bob Loudon (25)

Warner has a permanent ban on any leadership, Smith and Bancroft a ban of one year after return to play for any leadership
    Sully likes this.
  19. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

I don't think Smithy should be captain again. I reckon the job got to him and even though he performed with the bat, it weighed on him in the decision making stakes.
    Up the Guts likes this.
  20. Up the Guts Mark Ella (57)

I agree, just let him bat in the nets all he wants without all the worry of tactics, media obligations, off-field functions. He may be a useful stop gap for 6 months to a year though.