• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Hope he does to KiwiM, because funnily enough I reckon this is exactly what Qld Reds should be doing. Tana is the head coach by all means, but let Conventry and MacDonald have space to actually do their work. I suspect if he does Blues might actually look a fair bit better next year!

Yeah Blues have badly needed quality hands on coaches for a long time. It was super obvious this year Blues needed some quality hands on forwards coaching and a proper attack coach. They have now got both those things. I still think it will take more than 1 year to turn around because they simply don't have the cattle yet (Michael Collins is signed for next year lol) but there are some good signs for sure.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bloos may not be playing in front of tiny crowds at Eden Park for too much longer, the local Residents Association has just torpedoed a proposed charity concert by merely threatening a High Court challenge estimated to take five months (!) to hear & cost Auckland City mega bucks even before the inevitable appeal. Now BCCI wants matches in India's upcoming tour to finish well after the time EP events are permitted to finish. Add in the fact that even with an operating surplus of $5.5Mn last year (thank you B&I Lions) after depreciation that's a loss of over $3Mn taking total Trust Board debt to ~$200Mn. Shoulda bulldozed the place pre-2011 RWC & built that 50K capacity stadium down by the waterfront, the site for which I don't think is still available 'cos of the Americas Cup defence. Not, I hasten to add, that any of this is the fault of the Bloos, but it's worrying times for rugby in those parts (cricket already looking at Western Springs once the Speedway relocates).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Central city stadium? Yes. Waterfront? No. All that would do is cut off the city from the harbour like the current port does. The current proposal to stick it out near Vector/Spark Arena is much better.

EDIT: As for Eden Park, IIRC it's zoned for reasonably high density, and has good PT links that will only get better once the rail is upgraded. Thus, if they do demolish it, I hope it goes to a developer who sticks a bunch of apartments there. Will properly miff the snooty Eden Park Neighbours' Association peeps.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ my inner cynic thinks that maybe the EPNA is made up of actual or wannabe property developers who can't wait to see the "FOR SALE" signs go up.

Interesting interview with the guy trying to set up the charity gig that got canned: went to a meeting with the Neighbours, showed them a vid & presentation of the project he's fundraising for (essentially low-cost baby incubators for use in the Third World) & got told by one that "I don't want your propaganda getting in the way of what I'm trying to do to Eden Park".

As with what's now Westpac Stadium in Wellington or what will hopefully soon be the new Christchurch stadium, I don't care where Auckland's new stadium goes so long as they build it in my lifetime.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting interview with the guy trying to set up the charity gig that got canned: went to a meeting with the Neighbours, showed them a vid & presentation of the project he's fundraising for (essentially low-cost baby incubators for use in the Third World) & got told by one that "I don't want your propaganda getting in the way of what I'm trying to do to Eden Park".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Dkm8JzTU0AANZsX.jpg:large

In other news, we'll be holding a small memorial service for Dismal Pillock who died suddenly whilst reading the Auckland Blues twitter stream earlier today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ The fact Coventry has worked with him before at NH suggests that he at least rates the bloke so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. The old adage about great players being mediocre coaches does work the other way sometimes..........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^ The fact Coventry has worked with him before at NH suggests that he at least rates the bloke so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. The old adage about great players being mediocre coaches does work the other way sometimes....

I was mostly joking. As a Waratahs fan we felt the frustration of having him as our 10 for a number of years.

He's a smart guy and I am pretty confident his rugby brain is substantially better than his playing ability. He could very well turn into a good coach.

It's still kind of amusing though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Amusing? WTF? I'm mightily pissed off he's plying his trade over the ditch after all the money we in Oz rugby spent developing him. :mad: Does NZ rugby really need to import coaches?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Amusing? WTF? I'm mightily pissed off he's plying his trade over the ditch after all the money we in Oz rugby spent developing him. :mad: Does NZ rugby really need to import coaches?

:D I suspect they didn't so much import him but schooled him as a coach Lind, not sure he even coached over here, seems not a bad move to learn your coaching over there and then bringing it back when you got enough experience.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZR are buying back the 40% stake in the Blues they sold to Bolton Equities & will work with the Union shareholders (Auckland, Northland, North Harbour) to find a new private backer.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-rugby-to-buy-large-stake-in-struggling-blues

TLDR (IMO): the relationship between the Blues & Unions has broken down completely & the only way forward is to give Bolton the arse & try to find someone the Unions can work with.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
NZR are buying back the 40% stake in the Blues they sold to Bolton Equities & will work with the Union shareholders (Auckland, Northland, North Harbour) to find a new private backer.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-rugby-to-buy-large-stake-in-struggling-blues

TLDR (IMO): the relationship between the Blues & Unions has broken down completely & the only way forward is to give Bolton the arse & try to find someone the Unions can work with.

Gunston Rugby Teams. Aunt Doris will love it in the change room, and the boys can go do burnouts on the Eden Park paddock.

Isaia Toeava for Captain/President of the club.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I7d gladly pitch in $200, then a quick whip around with Zero and KiwiM etc shouyld bring us up to the NZ$500 or so required to buy the franchise outright. Surely, given the last 10 years of abject dogshit on and off the field it wouldnt be valued at any higher than that. My $200 should make me the controlling partner. Sounds fair.
Aunty Doris may as well start embroidering Mr Toeava's Lifetime Tenure Club Captain/El Presidente badge for his blazer right now.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The recent appointments of Leon MacDonald and Tom Coventry to join Tana Umaga's coaching group have been widely considered positive steps for the franchise, but other issues remain, including the thorny one of retention and development of talent in the region.

Talent development isn't really a problem these days. But retention is. The Blues franchise encompasses a population of over 1.5 million people and has 38 regular contracts available (both full and development, and excluding short-term). That's the exact same number of squad places as the Highlanders and their population of 200,000. So of course there's going to be an overflow of talent. It's simple, and very basic, math. They cannot retain everyone on those numbers.

To provide an example -- and IIRC -- the Blues at one point had to pick one of Akira Ioane (23), Taleni Seu (24) and Mitch Kaprik (23) to compliment the already signed Blake Gibson (23). In the end they chose Ioane, and the other two went to the Chiefs. Indeed, I'm pretty sure Rennie even said they were always going to sign whichever two missed out, regardless of exactly who they were. So off they go to Hamilton and they perform well in Super Rugby. Just as the Auckland/Blues academy said they would. Seu in particular. Then along comes the media with their predictable inane prattle of "oh meh gorsh, herez more guys frm Aukx who wst eva noticed by teh Bluz jeeez they are like so totes useles rite? lel". Bitch. They literally had no space on their roster despite wanting to retain all of them. Their only other option would've been to offer Seu and Kaprick development contracts. But why would they agree to that when they can just drive 90 mins down SH1 to the Tron and get full contracts there? Thus, even though they wanted to retain all of these players they had identified and developed, the limitations on squad size meant they couldn't.

That's not to say their development systems are perfect though. No system is. FFS the Crusaders academy is responsible for perhaps the single greatest talent ID balls up in rugby history by letting Retallick go, but that never comes up. Andrew Makalio would be the best example of a guy who was completely overlooked by Auckland/the Blues. But he came through at a time when the system was being transitioned from old to new, and was playing 1st XV for Onehunga High School. So was pretty much f*cked from the start on that basis alone.

If NZR really wanted to aid the Blues in player retention they'd expand the number of places available and/or the contract values for their development players. But this isn't the Crusaders, so hoarding away talent like that (cf. their four five eighths in one backline) isn't allowed. Instead the Blues will just have to continue gambling on 18-20 year old's, hope for the best and endure the inevitable media wankery that will slither forth whenever a former Auckland player goes well elsewhere, even though these players are likely in the minority.

I don't know diddly squat about governance though.