• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus v WI

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BillyWebb

What?!! No thread on the first test currently taking place?
I thought you Aussies were all cricket-bevok? [mad]

Anyhooooo... I digress.
Point I wanted to make was about Marcus North.
He's currently on 40-odd not out and (without placing the mockers on him) I must say this guy impresses me.
He always seems to deliver. But somehow he flies under the radar. No-one ever makes a big fuss about him? :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Billy this is a rugby forum. Tried to talk cricket and not many replies , so I leave it. Fits me well at the moment the way our lot performs. :angryfire:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BillyWebb said:
He always seems to deliver. But somehow he flies under the radar. No-one ever makes a big fuss about him? :nta:

Quiet achievers like North often do in a team of rock stars like Clarke and Ponting. He's like a Darren Lehmann - just gets on with it, Boony-style.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lehmann was a Boony, North doesn't have the drinking or weight problems that make a true cult hero

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
plenty of cricket tragics here but most of us are suspicious that the windies are completely shite and don't give a rats about test cricket. Then there is the way the windies players held their cricket board to ransom. I hope we smash them 3-0.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Moses said:
Lehmann was a Boony, North doesn't have the drinking or weight problems that make a true cult hero

I meant in terms of batting. Nothing flash - doesn't bignote, just gets in there and uses the willow.

NO-ONE holds a candle to Boony's drinking prowess.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Did anyone tell Gayle it's a test match? He's 20 off 12 balls, WI are 0/28 in the 4th over!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
Did anyone tell Gayle it's a test match? He's 20 off 12 balls, WI are 0/28 in the 4th over!
:lmao: Thats the way they play cricket and end up all out under 150. :nta:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Referral system has so far proved that these umpires are on the ball. Shame we didn't have this during the Ashes :(

In any case, Gayle looks like a prat for calling the referrals on himself, but no doubt it will even out just like... well umpiring decisions even out ::)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can't take it anymore. Watching Hussey bat is like a race between grass growing and paint drying.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watching Watson bat was fun ... well until he CHOKED like a little bitch that is. Going for the big shot when you've got the visitors at your mercy is typical of the idiot.

Our current bowling attack appears to lack real spine. Letting the last wicket put on 68 runs in a lacklustre second day effort in the field, is atrocious. Notwithstanding the road bed that is the Adelaide Oval pitch these days, the fact is they don't bend their backs enough to clean up the tail.

At least we avoided the follow-on.

Ponting appears to be well into his twilight. There are some bowlers he finds more difficult than others (Sharma, Flintoff, and this Roach bloke) and unlike his younger days he appears unable to change his game or buckle down in the manner of e.g. Steve Waugh.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well the windies are in the box seat for mine. They have a small lead but, more importantly, the game is coming down more to a 1 day type finish which should suit them. Plus the windies have the better spinners on a pitch that is turning quite nicely. I can see Gayle blasting a big/quick score and Aus having to chase 350 or so to win on the last day. My tip is for a draw.

For Aus, our batters (once again) have let us down. Hussey looks scratchy, as he has since the indian tour in 2008, bar the last ashes test. Win, lose or draw I would really like to see Hussey rested for the next test. Clarke to 4, Watson to 5 and Hughes in to open. Not saying that our batting form is all Hussey's fault - there was poor shot selection alround (nearly all of the top order could be accused of complancy).

How times have changes, the windies open day 3 of the test with an hour of spin from both ends - who ever would have imagined this 20 years ago?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nobody. But at least our middle order finally showed some spine. Our bowling is still a concern.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The current malaise in Australian cricket can be sheeted home to poor selection, as it has for the last few years. It's surprising Hilditch, a lawyer, seems to not have a grasp of proper structure in a cricket team nor has the ability to spot emerging talent. But I'll accuse this panel of having blind spots about certain players as well as playing favourites.

Batsmen

There are currently two very good Test opening batsmen knocking about in Shield cricket (Hughes and Jaques) together with another young bloke who's been in great form the last few years (Rogers) who are currently ranked behind a flakey journeyman, Watson. Personally, I wouldn't have Watson anywhere near an Australian Test team, unless the first twenty players were injured in a bus accident. It is imperative a Test team have two solid openers who have time to develop a long-term partnership. Does Watson fit into this category? Obviously not.

Ponting's great powers seem to waning (a little but noticeable), and as is the way of great batsmen in their twilight years he should shift down the batting order to 4; in fact I could see him batting at 5 in the near future. But, conversely, the batsmen who SHOULD be picking up the traces and accepting (demanding?) more responsibility by insisting on going in at first drop is Clarke. These should be his best years and it would bode well for Australian cricket if he started to take a more prominent role. Coming in at 3 wouldn't in any way be seen as undermining Ponting but the extra responsibilty could lift this team enormously.

Hussey's been going through a bad patch for a while now (possibly terminal) and doesn't deserve his spot in the side. His continued selection contrasted with Brad Hodge's continued omission illustrates for me the pig-headedness of this selection panel. Or their absolute commitment to favourites. Can anyone honestly say the best six Australian batsmen are currently in the Test team?

Bowlers

The three fast bowlers the panel's stuck with have done a reasonable job the last two seasons. There have been times when one of them's lost form and probably should've been replaced by Clark but it's hard to criticise the selectors for trying Siddle and sticking with Hilfenhaus. But if any of the three get injured, or lose form, Clark should be slotted straight into the team as his metronomic accuracy will always strangle opposing batsmen. In fact I'd go so far as have the selectors tell Clark he's got two more years in the Test team, barring injuries and loss of form, as they run their rulers over long-term replacements.

Finding a replacement for Warne would try the patience of Job, or possibly someone higher up. We're up to, what is it, six spinners used since Shane retired? The standout performance for me was Krejza's performance in the last test in India, the fourth best figures by a bowler on debut. The bloke MUST have some talent to take wickets in India against blokes who lay spin in their sleep. To be discarded after getting tonked on a hard, flat track in Perth is unconscionable. Hauritz has had more than enough opportunities to prove he's good enough, and he isn't. To be shown up by an ordinary West Indian spinner on an Australian pitch should be cause to pack his bags.

All-rounders

After Flintoff's magnificent performaces five years ago the selectors have been myopic in their quest to shoe-horn an all-rounder into the Australian Test team. Watson, or McDonald or Symonds, have to justify their selection with either bat OR ball before getting a guernsey. It's hard to see any of that lot as a front-line seam bowler so they have to score runs, consistently. Or, preferably, bugger off.

End of rant.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree with alot of what you have had to say Lindomer, except I think Clarke position should be 4, not 3. Some hard decisions are going to need to be made re Ponting at some stage in the next two years. His form is still decent, but he is never going to volunteer to move down the order - it will take an ultimatum from selectors that is shuffle down or retire.

I reckon Watson has done enough to keep his position in the team as a respectable all rounder and I have no doubts that he will score test centuries, particualrly from down the order. He is still ahead of Mcdonald who never showed anything with the bat but was consistently nagging with the ball. Jacques is only just working his way back so Hughes should be next cap off the rank - particualrly given his harsh tratment in England.

I am very very far from convinced re Kreja. You can look at his debut either way, one of the best or worst ever. I am more in the latter camp and want to see that he can consistently bowl tight spells before I would trust him in the Aus team again. Hauritz seems to have become a Peter Taylor type spinner. Good (even a match winner) at the short forms of the game, but only reasonable at the long form of the game. It was not unusual for Aus to pick two spinners in years gone by when the wicket looked like it would turn. Now its a process of elimination to see who is the least crap.

I was thinking of Hodge's treatment last night. How many other players can say that their last test innings before being dropped for good was a double century?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hughes was found out in England, and rightly dropped. He had a glaring weakness in his game, and it hadn't been found due to his short time in Shield cricket. Hughes was a young 20 year old on tour that was caught out by second rate county bowlers, and should have been told he has a season of state cricket to get his flaw right. Hughes worked hard in the off season to adjust his style, and is showing that he is getting it right. And should be in line for a recall after this state season, if he continues to score runs. We'll see what the selectors think, though.

The man management should have been better, and I think that it's a real issue in Australian cricket. Maybe because they struggle to justify some of their continued selection of favourites despite better performing players at the state level.

Regarding Watson, it was a desperate choice to put him at opener, I think. While he continues to score runs they won't drop him. But then again, Hussey has struggled for a long time, is at an age where he is only likely to deteriorate and he doesn't get dropped...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i wouldn't have watson as an opener. i think his two inning this match are a good example of him showing his talent but not having the mindset of an opener with his dismissals. both were pretty stupid/weak. that said, i think his versatility is a benefit to the squad. i'd prefer he batted before the tail. i think he's maybe still coming into himself in the test format now that he's been able to go a while without blowing a hammy. not as bad as lots make him out to be.

hussey is a bigger worry for me. seems like his good innings these days are becoming exceptions rather than the rule. hughes should come right with a bit of time and will help. anyone think warner can adjust to success in test matches? also henriques as an allrounder in the future?

though hauritz isn't up to the standard of previous aussie spinners, i still can't help but admire his effort. handy player in my book and i don't see too many better these days.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Newb said:
though hauritz isn't up to the standard of previous aussie spinners, i still can't help but admire his effort. handy player in my book and i don't see too many better these days.
Poor Hauritz, it's a pretty big yardstick to come straight after Warney, a leggie with the control of an offie.
Had Hauritz being English he'd be hailed as the second coming of Ashley Giles MBE.

The young NSW leggie Steven Smith looked very handy opening in the T20 world championships, one to keep an eye on.

B

BillyWebb

NTA said:
Watson's a fucking pillock. But then if I was hammering Lee Furlong I'd also feel justified in being a prat...

She's worth a couple of minutes of my time :thumb

....and yes, before any smart-ass comments, a couple of minutes will be plenty of time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.