• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plenty to work on this week if we are to be competitive in Wellington.

Welcome to the real world of Test Match footy, Link.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Horrible support running. Line breaks going nowhere because nobody in support. And how fucking hard is it to feed the ball straight into a scrum when you've already been pinged for a crooked feed?

Yep, support play was just non existent.......

How many balls were thrown away after a linebreak?

Yeesh...........

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The individual performance from most of our forwards was good, but that was the problem - they were individual performances (I think individually the only forward I was disappointed in was MMM, and maybe Mowen slightly). The All Blacks worked as a pack, we didn't seem to.

Really, we made a lot of mistakes, and the All Blacks just made us pay. A charge down try, a try from a ball not being hooked in the scrum and it going straight through the channel, a try from the ball flying out the side of the ruck as the player drops it trying to run it from the 22, and a few other tries from some turnovers where they made up pay.

Oh, and I think Quade's running may be permanently shot as I suspect he will have chronic knee problems. It was bandaged up when he came out and he seems to have lost all of his pace. I hope it isn't, but I am just reminded of what happened to Ben Ikin.

That being said, To'omua needs to watch what Quade does - long passes at pace, short pops to forward runners, and holding up inside runners with nice balls. Lilo thrived once the defence got in two minds and he got some space to run. It was an OK debut from To'omua, but that's all that could be said. He didn't put the defence in two minds - if he does that, then he could be a complete package. To'omua is a better player than what he showed tonight.

Mogg's defence is seriously worrying.

Oh, and fucking learn how to clean out McCaw. The guy is a magician at avoiding clean outs.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
I don't think Mogg deserves a reprieve for his attempted Conrad Smith tackle. I'd persist with Tooma. OConner is a super sub. Forwards are still off the mark when in matters at crucial moments.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Lilo has to be there for his kicking but really want to start see more from him with the ball. Play him at 10, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 12, & Kuridrani 13?

Otherwise i prefer Cooper over To'omua, with a 10 that attacks the line more, Lilo may find more space and width. To'omua wasn't bad though.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And if we insist on going from side to side, we either need two things (preferably both):
- forwards over the advantage line, and
- some deception in our attack.

We just threw the ball through the hands and the All Blacks had a compressed drifting defence which picked it off every time. A change of angle or inside ball would have been deadly. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made breaks between 12 and 13 by straightening into a hole, as an example.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Mogg & O'connor out for mine. Folau to fullback, Cummins or even Kuridrani to wing.

Leilifano should be kicked in the nuts a few times re that charge down, but not dropped yet.

Wouldn't mind seeing Sio start.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mogg and Mowen very disappointing IMO. Hooper very good and I thought Gill looked sharp when he came on. 3M was very anonymous in the 2nd half despite an overall positive half by the OZ forwards.

Moore another good game and Kurindrani has a future at this level.

Link may be tempted to start JOC (James O'Connor) at FB next week

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Mogg deserves some more time in IMHO. Yes, he has some issues to address like most everyone else in the green & gold does. He has the potential to be very, very good at test level and deserves a fair crack at it. Yes, he may struggle against the darkness but give him a chance to build some confidence in the test arena and I reckon he will go on to be something special. Also, keep in mind who he has running at him and the context of the tackle is charged with making.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Mogg and Mowen very disappointing IMO. Hooper very good and I thought Gill looked sharp when he came on. 3M was very anonymous in the 2nd half despite an overall positive half by the OZ forwards.

Moore another good game and Kurindrani has a future at this level.

Link may be tempted to start JOC (James O'Connor) at FB next week

I thought Kurindrani did well creating some holes in the ABs defence. But the rest of the back line didn't support him or anyone else who made a break or committed the ABs defence.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Normally agree with a lot of what Michael Lynagh has to say but I can't agree with his praise for JOC (James O'Connor)'s performance.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Marto talking about moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to fullback. Someone shoot that idiot.

In fact, if anyone is thinking about moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) away from 13, please give your selves an uppercut

-------------------------------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.