• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Personally, I think this should have been a 5 match series. The quality of cricket we will see from the Windies is probably not going to be at the same level as we've seen from the Kiwis..

Neither board will play away on Boxing Day (which is fair enough).

If you can't have the boxing day test in the schedule then a 5 test series becomes pretty much impossible doesn't it?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I miss Johnson already. Was a big fan throughout his career and very happy to see him finish on something of a high with taking 2 good wickets in his final spell.

With injuries to the young guys who are meant to be the next generation i think he will be missed more than a lot of people realise. Even when fit they are some way off Johnson's best.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Aus lost the impetus needed to win with the manner in which they finished their first innings. To all appearances, they really didn't know whether to bat on in the second day or go for quick runs. In the end they did neither and just allowed the "ëbb and flow of psychic energy" to shift to the Black Caps. IMO they really should have batted out the second day and even more had they had wickets in hand and established a total that would have, in theory, given them a chance of dismissing NZ twice in the time left. As it is though, on the evidence of the first four days, there is next to no chance of either side taking 20 wickets on this abortion of a pitch. If that's what the WACA is going to serve up, then move the tests elsewhere just as soon as is possible.

I said this to a few guys at the office. They should have batted to halfway through the last session on that second day. Another 100+ runs and with the kiwis having to face a nasty period before tea.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good to see young Steve O'Keefe in the squad. IMO he is the future and his FC stats are phenomenal.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There was more than a little hint of sarcasm in my post.

Agree it should have been Agar.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What's going to kill test cricket is pitches like the one we've just seen. No contest between bat and ball at all. Nearly every wicket could be put down to either fatigue or tyring to score quick runs.

My only reservation about the day/night test is the ball. From what we've seen in the first two tests Kookaburra can't even get the red ball that they've been making for 100 years right.

No doubt. Tracks have been getting flatter for at least the last decade and it's a travesty. When you take the most thrilling part of test match cricket, an even contest between a hostile fast bowler and a skilled batsman, out of the game the game is dead.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not too fussed by O'keefe's selection, no matter who gets picked they're going to be the 2nd option to Lyon. Agar is the future so leave him in Sheffield Shield and get some experience there rather than running the water out to the team in Adelaide.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'm not too fussed by O'keefe's selection, no matter who gets picked they're going to be the 2nd option to Lyon. Agar is the future so leave him in Sheffield Shield and get some experience there rather than running the water out to the team in Adelaide.

Siddle has been 12th man in the last 2 tests and been made available to play for Victoria in the shield.

Marsh is the big surprise for me after all the talk of Bancroft being the favoured over Burns for the first test and now he is overlooked again. With Warner, Smith, Burns and Voges all in pretty good touch it seemed like a great opportunity to give him a couple of tests. Khwaja will return when fit so it would have been interesting to see him without the pressure of needing to retain his place. S Marsh is very talented one of my favourite players to watch in short forms but I hope this is his last chance in the test side.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Siddle has been 12th man in the last 2 tests and been made available to play for Victoria in the shield.

Marsh is the big surprise for me after all the talk of Bancroft being the favoured over Burns for the first test and now he is overlooked again. With Warner, Smith, Burns and Voges all in pretty good touch it seemed like a great opportunity to give him a couple of tests. Khwaja will return when fit so it would have been interesting to see him without the pressure of needing to retain his place. S Marsh is very talented one of my favourite players to watch in short forms but I hope this is his last chance in the test side.

Very true, it's good to get the players back to Sheffield shield if they are left out of the 11 we need them playing as much as they can, especially young players like Agar.

I can't beleive it with Marsh, granted he's been alright for us in the ODI's but why give him this opportunity, as you said we have players in form so get the young blokes in there and get some experience. They'll need it come the series against SA and the Ashes rather than just thrown in when the pressure is highest!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No doubt. Tracks have been getting flatter for at least the last decade and it's a travesty. When you take the most thrilling part of test match cricket, an even contest between a hostile fast bowler and a skilled batsman, out of the game the game is dead.

It should be difficult to score runs on day one with pace and bounce in the wicket - teams should really have to work hard to be 300 on stumps day one and being one or two down should be a rarity not the norm. Days 2 and 3 batting should be easier, but still something for the bowlers. Days 4 and 5 should see variable pace and bounce and teams really having to work to survive and/or win.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It should be difficult to score runs on day one with pace and bounce in the wicket - teams should really have to work hard to be 300 on stumps day one and being one or two down should be a rarity not the norm. Days 2 and 3 batting should be easier, but still something for the bowlers. Days 4 and 5 should see variable pace and bounce and teams really having to work to survive and/or win.
I reckon the perfect cricket wicket is one where the captains have to think about whether they would bat or bowl first on day one.

Even better if it turns out they make the wrong choice.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Disappointed that SMarsh is back in the frame. He's contributed very little at test level for us and I don't think he's quite good enough (with the greatest respect to Shaun). There are better players out there but unfortunately none of them stuck their hands up when the opportunity presented itself. I'd be astonished if we didn't see Bancroft or maybe even Maddinson in the team in the next 12 months.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought after the disastrous Ashes campaign that the selectors acknowledged their errors and started afresh - it seems not as we're back to SMarsh - again. How many chances does a 32 year old get?

You'd have thought that this was the perfect summer to bring young batsmen into the squad - two or three weeks ago Bancroft was unlucky to miss out and now he's been passed over for a multiple failure.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I thought after the disastrous Ashes campaign that the selectors acknowledged their errors and started afresh - it seems not as we're back to SMarsh - again. How many chances does a 32 year old get?

You'd have thought that this was the perfect summer to bring young batsmen into the squad - two or three weeks ago Bancroft was unlucky to miss out and now he's been passed over for a multiple failure.
Omitting Bancroft is at least justifiable. He's not in great form (ave 28 this year) and the selectors may not want to chuck him into the night/pink ball lottery against some very good swing bowlers.

There's plenty of batsmen I would have had in ahead of Smarsh though.

The Marsh family do know where the bodies are buried.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Assuming Khawaja is straight back into number 3 when fit, SMarsh is much easier to be in and out. Rather than say, bringing in a Bancroft, or Handscome, or a Maddinson or whomever, and on the chance they hit a vein of form, trying to keep both them and Khawaja in the side would require a major reshuffle in the batting order.

Status
Not open for further replies.