• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie advice needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Next week my oldest laaities Aussie pal is come to visit us in Paarl. They were great pels (mates) in the UK and he sure help my laaitie to find his feet op north. So much that I have trouble now with my kid supporter all Aussie sport teams with his "Aussie, Aussie" chantings when you lot plays all sport.

Pretty sure he'll show him all the drink stuff around Paarl but I want to give this Aussie a very special Boere braai.

If it was you visiting, what would you enjoy most on the braai?

Steak (which type), T Bone, Lamb leg or rib chops, lamb rib, pork neck choppies, pork rack spare ribs, Chicken leggies (leg + thigh), whole lamb spit, whole leg of lamb in pot of spitter or braaied plus rooster koeke or rooster sandwiches or patoto salad with cowboy food (beans in tomato sauce) beet root salad or compression beans.

I'll make sure he have to swallow this with a 2006 KWV Roodeberg red wine.

:nta: Need your advice here, he is a Tah supporter , maybe invite RedInCT to help me here making the Aussie feel comfortable in Paarl.

My Plan B is to take him to Snor, to keep up the good spirit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just have beer & meat, Anything else is a bonus
Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
You had me at T Bone Paarl, any sentence that contains the words lamb, rack, ribs or pork is also bound to grab my attention. The salad and beans combo sounds perfect as well. Whatever you decide to go with please post a photo, love your braai work!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You should give him a good Saffer welcome, PB, he'll love it. Make sure you've got plenty of that good KWV, and Anwilka, wine.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You should give him a good Saffer welcome, PB, he'll love it. Make sure you've got plenty of that good KWV, and Anwilka, wine.
The laaitie will take him to our wine farms Lind, we have some nice cheese and wine farms around. Will make sure he get enough biltong.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Add some distinctively South African things to the braai, like boerewors and koeksisters. When I first went to South Africa some friends in Jo'burg put on a braai and included those. It was great to try things we don't normally have in Australia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Paarl, I wouldn't sweat it. You know how to entertain, that's a given. Any of the braais you have photographed for us will do. As Lindo said, some cold beer, and some fine local wines, and who could complain, mate? It'd do me, that's for sure!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've seen some of ur picks from the cooking meat outdoors thread, it all looks great. My main question is what beer you'll have available?

On a side note, you sound like an awesome host if ur going to this much effort and will be getting my vote for the scarf of international friendliness (can't remember the actual name) award. Well done

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I've eaten Yak in Tibet, befe de chorizo in Argentina, haggis in Scotland and curry in England - all were excellent, and a bit special because it was local.

Pick a local speciality. I'm keen for one of those massive sausage things when I get to Africa, with Brandy and coke.

And don't forget, nothing makes an Aussie more at home than just a smattering of casual racism.

I like fishing.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I've seen some of ur picks from the cooking meat outdoors thread, it all looks great. My main question is what beer you'll have available?

On a side note, you sound like an awesome host if ur going to this much effort and will be getting my vote for the scarf of international friendliness (can't remember the actual name) award. Well done
We got some good beer this side. Dunno the Aussie beers but I am sure my laaitie will sort that. He work in a English pub in London and think thats where he met his friend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
If I was visiting I would love it if it was pure south African. I would love to taste a bit of someone else's culture. The added bonus is the SA BBQ's I have been to have been sensational.

Sully you dont want me to give the guy true Boer food, like a baked sheep head or afval (tripe?). I love those but dont think he will appreciate it. My Mrs will probably make him a roast Lamb leg in the oven with potato and onion served with rise and sweet potato.

Koeksusters sound just about right for pudding.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't doubt it will be better than english beer, the only place where u can get a warm beer and a cold pie :fishing

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I've eaten Yak in Tibet, befe de chorizo in Argentina, haggis in Scotland and curry in England - all were excellent, and a bit special because it was local.

Pick a local speciality. I'm keen for one of those massive sausage things when I get to Africa, with Brandy and coke.

And don't forget, nothing makes an Aussie more at home than just a smattering of casual racism.

I like fishing.
Bolded = Charge Office Coffee, my favourate.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I havent included a potjie, do you guys like your stew? Potjie is great, gives you lot of drinking and around the fire time. Maybe Oxtail, lamb shanks or beef curry?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I havent included a potjie, do you guys like your stew? Potjie is great, gives you lot of drinking and around the fire time. Maybe Oxtail, lamb shanks or beef curry?

Paarl, any of the above in a stew sound AWESOME! Can never go wrong with lamb shanks, and a beautiful local red. And I'd have to have a charge office coffee, after seeing how much you like them!!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl, any of the above in a stew sound AWESOME! Can never go wrong with lamb shanks, and a beautiful local red. And I'd have to have a charge office coffee, after seeing how much you like them!!

can make a very good chicken potjie aswell but it sound like you lot are meat eaters like us.

Status
Not open for further replies.