• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie advice needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Depends where he's from in aus, you tend to find anyone who grew up in the bush isn't the biggest fan of fish, if he's from the coast no worries

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Chicken isn't a meat in The Republic? If I ever get to Paarl, you can put chicken in the potjie. :)

Chicken potjie is very easy and pretty quick. 1 hour and its done and on very slow coals. Ingredients is chicken, peas,carrots, bacon, mushroom,raw garlic, potatoes, red wine and chicken & muchroom soup/sauce/thickener. Frirst fried the onions/bacon/mushrooms/garlic, spoon out when done(if you leave them it burns black at the bottom of the pot), fry the chicken till done, spoon out half of it and the hard work is done. Then pack your potjie layers, chicken/onions,bacon,mushrooms,garlic mix/half of your potatoes/half of carrots/half of peas/half of rice (remember rice is a real sauce sucker) and start with the rest of chicken/mix/potatoes/carrots/peas/rice. Chuck in some red wine/thickener for taste and let this summer very slowly. I use a wooden spoon down the side to feel if everything is OK at the bottom of the pot. Just before serving you can mix the potjie but before its done. Keep it in this layers and you'll end up with the chciken pieces in tact, mix it to early and you end up with chicken alla Landmine.

If you dont do potjie, use the same stuff on the stove.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
PB, I reckon a snoek on the braai would be great, they dont braai fish here like back in SA. I have also never met an Aussie who did not like boerewors. Throw in some roosterkoek and he will be a happy man. As for drinks, I would give him some Winhoeks to set him straight.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ask your boys to lay down nicely in the cricket, wouldn't want to offend your guests! ;)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
So much that I have trouble now with my kid supporter all Aussie sport teams with his "Aussie, Aussie" chantings when you lot plays all sport..

Don't worry fella, as a bright eyed 22 yr old in London, I went through the same trap of supporting the Aussies with the Aussies, chanting the old aussie aussie etc etc - I grew out of it.

Mind you it was a lot easier back then.. they were world champs in rugby, netball, league, cricket & the best at a plethora of other sports... and the sydney olympics were on too!

On the food side, do have to agree with what somebody said above - go local. I did exactly the same thing when I was in SA in 2002, met up with my flatmates folks who put in a bbq. Cant' remember what had, but it was awesome as it just felt really really South African - they were doing what they do, and I just blended in.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Next week my oldest laaities Aussie pal is come to visit us in Paarl. They were great pels (mates) in the UK and he sure help my laaitie to find his feet op north. So much that I have trouble now with my kid supporter all Aussie sport teams with his "Aussie, Aussie" chantings when you lot plays all sport.

Pretty sure he'll show him all the drink stuff around Paarl but I want to give this Aussie a very special Boere braai.

If it was you visiting, what would you enjoy most on the braai?

Steak (which type), T Bone, Lamb leg or rib chops, lamb rib, pork neck choppies, pork rack spare ribs, Chicken leggies (leg + thigh), whole lamb spit, whole leg of lamb in pot of spitter or braaied plus rooster koeke or rooster sandwiches or patoto salad with cowboy food (beans in tomato sauce) beet root salad or compression beans.

I'll make sure he have to swallow this with a 2006 KWV Roodeberg red wine.

:nta: Need your advice here, he is a Tah supporter , maybe invite RedInCT to help me here making the Aussie feel comfortable in Paarl.

My Plan B is to take him to Snor, to keep up the good spirit.

Before I forget, Oom - had a 2002 Roodeberg recently. Exquisite.

I'd suggest going to Fairview on a tasting, because kitsch and all as the goats are, it's brilliant. I should be able to get my Matie matjie to have a word with the marketing manager there, who he knows. And go to Kalk Baai, if you're going outside the Boland. Because it's just brilliant. :D

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Sully you dont want me to give the guy true Boer food, like a baked sheep head or afval (tripe?). I love those but dont think he will appreciate it. My Mrs will probably make him a roast Lamb leg in the oven with potato and onion served with rise and sweet potato.

Koeksusters sound just about right for pudding.

God, yes. I love them. That said, asyn pudding or a good melktert as great, too.

For beer, I'd go with Windhoek.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Chicken isn't a meat in The Republic? If I ever get to Paarl, you can put chicken in the potjie. :)

Oom is from right up by the Namibian border. Once you're north of the Van Rhynsdorp pass, the vegetarian option is chicken. By the time you get across the Orange, I doubt even pork counts as meat any more.

Seriously. I got asked if we were vegetarians, and if so, would we like chicken, in Sesfontein.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Before I forget, Oom - had a 2002 Roodeberg recently. Exquisite.

I'd suggest going to Fairview on a tasting, because kitsch and all as the goats are, it's brilliant. I should be able to get my Matie matjie to have a word with the marketing manager there, who he knows. And go to Kalk Baai, if you're going outside the Boland. Because it's just brilliant. :D
Find out now they are a family of five coming this way fromteusday to thursday. Fairview a very good option. The son will go through now.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Find out now they are a family of five coming this way fromteusday to thursday. Fairview a very good option. The son will go through now.

Oom, want me to have a word with Pieterjie?

BTW, nearby on that ridge of Pinotage country running up the R44 from Die Dorpie up to Paarl, not only Kanonkop and Beyerskloof but Glen Carlou are on ferocious form at the moment, too. Their 2005 Classique is currently on sale here for €15, and it's worth twice that. Miskiens ook 'n kuier Oom Hempies (en Bliksem) toe...?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oom, want me to have a word with Pieterjie?

BTW, nearby on that ridge of Pinotage country running up the R44 from Die Dorpie up to Paarl, not only Kanonkop and Beyerskloof but Glen Carlou are on ferocious form at the moment, too. Their 2005 Classique is currently on sale here for €15, and it's worth twice that. Miskiens ook 'n kuier Oom Hempies (en Bliksem) toe...?

Dont worry Boet, laaitie hanging out at these wine farms and know them well. I may braai them TBones.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK so at last they get all organised. Its six Aussies from Brisbane. Weather aint lekker today and they wikll go up the brand new wonder Table Mountain today and will drive out to Paarl tomorrow. Decided to braai them T Bones, biltong appetiser and koeksusters for pudding. Thanks for that koeksuster tip, my Mrs wanted to bake them some pudding but I throw the koeksuster one in. Will go and buy that TBones today and get them ready for the big one tomorrow. Understand this lot dunno anything about rugby, only AFL and cricket, so we obvious wont talk much sport. Maybe they'll know Schalk Burger and drive them through Paarl Gym to let them feel the rugby ghosts and spirits around the block.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Shit I'd kill for a Snoek braai.

Make him a venison potjie Oom. (wildsvleis.)
Was waiting very long for your reply. Snoek will be easy but we have already decided on TBones. Much more expensive but super quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.