• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t think NRL players leaving for France really hurts their feelings too much.

They’ve lost a number of top line stars to French rugby over the years and it’s clearly a money grab. Very different if he signed with a Super Rugby side.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Manu is a big fish though. The NRL do quickly move on and the next star will appear but never good for a sport to lose the premier player in the position.

I have no reason to think he won't excellent in Rugby. 6'4, 100kg centre and he's 27. No idea if he's played any Rugby growing up but his style isn't the simple crash and barge. Classy player.

Roosters could offer 800k and his French offer is 1.1m. Both parties doing the right thing.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
yep, as always he said he played loads of rugby as a kid. I would suggest going to league was a money grab, and the prodigal son is returning. I look forward to the days again when French rugby picks the eyes out of league. The NRL are no friends of rugby. That was evident when the game was on its knees last year ( still is) and many loig pundits were calling for NRL to kill off rugby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
yep, as always he said he played loads of rugby as a kid. I would suggest going to league was a money grab, and the prodigal son is returning. I look forward to the days again when French rugby picks the eyes out of league. The NRL are no friends of rugby. That was evident when the game was on its knees last year ( still is) and many loig pundits were calling for NRL to kill off rugby.
I think NRL is a richer league than Top14 no?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
For the NRL - it's the payments outside of the salary cap. Manu is a big name, but isn't a big enough name to get the really big league dollars that Cleary etc can attract.

What players can earn outside the salary cap​

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved by both a Player’s Club and the NRL. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
For the NRL - it's the payments outside of the salary cap. Manu is a big name, but isn't a big enough name to get the really big league dollars that Cleary etc can attract.

yeah but there is plenty of cases of opportunities to meet business ppl who off very smart investments though club ppl but not with that club person

Uncle Nick is an expert at it & so is Matt Tripp

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Manu would have a few, they just aren't as in your face as others. 2022 Golden Boot winner following the RLWC where he was great. They also get comp cars and jobs for partners which can't be underestimated as a good boost.

Roosters will keep the door open if he wants back one day otherwise it gives them a lot of cash to go to market with. Other sides will be happy to see the Roosters lose a player of his calibre but also scared of who they will go after now. Players seem to want to be there and if your a team like the Tigers you now have to pay overs to compete with them.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know Rugby Australia is broke and incompetent but good to see the news about Angus Chrichton has a foot out the door at the roosters and headed for French rugby.

League fans kick rugby when we are on life support but their game can’t even offer a grass is greener scenario for their players to go abroad.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know Rugby Australia is broke and incompetent but good to see the news about Angus Chrichton has a foot out the door at the roosters and headed for French rugby.

League fans kick rugby when we are on life support but their game can’t even offer a grass is greener scenario for their players to go abroad.
That’s awesome, looking forward to watching him over there, what club? If he kills it he could genuinely go Wallabies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All the best for Chrichton, he has had a rough 2 years and faced some challenges. Would be good to see him back to his best again, and doing it in union.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
We should be supporting the Japanese, French and English clubs pinching NRL players. Let those clubs pay for their development in rugby then if they are good just pay the price to get them back.
Exactly. We should never waste money on NRL players. But it’s a win for the game when other leagues around the world poach them.

With a 5 year residency to change national eligibility all these guys leaving in their mid 20s their only realistic option to play test footy is for us

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The NRL won't even miss them. Watching the SG Ball and Jersey Flegg squads go around, there are multiple bodies ready to step up.

Watched Eels v Raiders U18 play on our field one day. Scary amount of talent for two clubs with another dozen in that comp and more just outside of under NSWRL umbrella.

pnut

Billy Sheehan (19)
The NRL won't even miss them. Watching the SG Ball and Jersey Flegg squads go around, there are multiple bodies ready to step up.

Watched Eels v Raiders U18 play on our field one day. Scary amount of talent for two clubs with another dozen in that comp and more just outside of under NSWRL umbrella.
Keep waving the Pom poms them

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Exactly. We should never waste money on NRL players. But it’s a win for the game when other leagues around the world poach them.

With a 5 year residency to change national eligibility all these guys leaving in their mid 20s their only realistic option to play test footy is for us
Wouldn't they most likely be contracting out of test football?