• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
these days its almost a good result we lose them to rugby overseas. Means they arent lost to jail rugby. I find it nauseating when the slackjawed league media crow when we lose one - almost unbearable.
We'll get him back - look at Harry Potter and how he developed os.
How is the temperature of the sand?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

If this ends up coming true I am hoping that Wilson and Tuipolotu get some decent minutes this year in the centres- in particular Tuipolotu who let's face it is going to have Scotland throwing lots of cash at him.
Dragons chase Petaia

I'd rather lose a player to the NH than to the NRL

Wilson

David Codey (61)

If this ends up coming true I am hoping that Wilson and Tuipolotu get some decent minutes this year in the centres- in particular Tuipolotu who let's face it is going to have Scotland throwing lots of cash at him.
Not too surprising to see the bidding for Perese heating up, I've had mixed opinions of him in the past particularly as a test level player, but he's really coming into his own this year. Positional play has improved significantly and he seems to be getting the brain explosions out of his game.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
what losing a player to rugby overseas is worse than to NRL?
That we're getting rid of a team (or two) with this idiotic notion that the player pool will be concentrated. When, in fact, the best players will still go to where the $$$ are (good for them).

We should be focused on keeping the best here, otherwise you're going to have squad players playing against squad players - how is that improving the talent pool?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Not saying I'm ok with them heading Overseas - if anything it shows we have the talent and hence why I have always said that we have the talent in this country - its a sad state of affairs that its what happening. Just saying its less bad than going mungo. ( for us in rugby that is).

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
I’m more worried about the risk of our u18-u20 talent going to France. In the French system if an overseas player enters a club academy system before he turns 20 he is not considered an import. Makes it a worthwhile investment for them. Hence losing the likes of Meafou and Miles years earlier. Currently Jaydon Villiamu is there with Stade Francais straight out of Australian Schools 2022 team and player managers are now fielding offers for a lot of these bigger kids in the u18-20 set up right now. Quite concerning.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m more worried about the risk of our u18-u20 talent going to France. In the French system if an overseas player enters a club academy system before he turns 20 he is not considered an import. Makes it a worthwhile investment for them. Hence losing the likes of Meafou and Miles years earlier. Currently Jaydon Villiamu is there with Stade Francais straight out of Australian Schools 2022 team and player managers are now fielding offers for a lot of these bigger kids in the u18-20 set up right now. Quite concerning.

I don’t think this is really happening.
If it’s happening for locks (then RA needs to fight to keep these prospects in Oz)

it will happen if you get rid of the rebels as there’s only so many super rugby teams to host the plethora of schoolboy rugby players entering the workforce.

A super rugby contract fresh out of high school must be a great feeling for a young rugby player but France/Japan seem more like greener grass situations once your super rugby career doesn’t look like its trajectory is wallaby mainstay.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think we underestimate the notion that Rugby is a job. Kids coming through now have no concept of the amateur era and while most will want to be Wallabies there will be some that will be content to miss it if they can get deals elsewhere immediately.

Some who want to be Wallabies will forego it for the cash. I bet many on here have moved from a place they like for more immediate gains.

I don't think it will be as dramatic and quick as some do but it will happen. It will happen in NZ, SA and PI as well. The PI should show us what happens. Their players are scattered throughout the world.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we underestimate the notion that Rugby is a job. Kids coming through now have no concept of the amateur era and while most will want to be Wallabies there will be some that will be content to miss it if they can get deals elsewhere immediately.

Some who want to be Wallabies will forego it for the cash. I bet many on here have moved from a place they like for more immediate gains.

I don't think it will be as dramatic and quick as some do but it will happen. It will happen in NZ, SA and PI as well. The PI should show us what happens. Their players are scattered throughout the world.
It's also not only for immediate gains, but for security and longevity. Who also wants to bet on RA atm? Gee, by the end of the year 20% of the opportunities in Australia will likely be gone.

It's a career, so to improve you need game time and also look where to learn and develop. We don't offer much in the way of game time and we don't offer much on the coaching / development / mentoring front. We are obsessed with finding the next Wallaby, while in the NH, they are making the best players from whomever is available. It why many of ours exports come back better.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
They need to keep the Rebels - yes its a shitshow - we have the talent and the production line. Just need more $ somehow.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
They need to keep the Rebels - yes its a shitshow - we have the talent and the production line. Just need more $ somehow.
The product needs to reimagined. So does the appreciation of the reality we face. This shit show imploding may eventually be a blessing.

IMHO, we need something akin to the dinosaurs dying out (pun intended) to get change. Or, for RA and the unions etc to end up like Pompeii. Buried and gone, and unearthed after we re-establish so there is no attachments, no history to bind, limit or influence us.

We can unearth the past later as something to look at as a warning; and wonder how it ended up as scorched earth by our own hands.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Sitting watching the 6 Nations and realised that with the exception of two matches - England v Wales and Ireland v Wales - every match had a player who could have been a Wallaby- or in the case of Dempsey was a Wallaby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Perese to Leicester is apparently a done deal:

Also Joey Manu to Toyota, which may see the Roosters going harder for Jorgensen.
I’m hoping that while they now have 800k to throw around at a back, they go for a Centre/Five Eigth with Keary coming towards the end as well. A lot tied up in outside backs with Tedesco, Marky N and Dom Young who arrived this year. Teddy looks like he easily has 2-3 years of good footy in him which I hope for our sake.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’m hoping that while they now have 800k to throw around at a back, they go for a Centre/Five Eigth with Keary coming towards the end as well. A lot tied up in outside backs with Tedesco, Marky N and Dom Young who arrived this year. Teddy looks like he easily has 2-3 years of good footy in him which I hope for our sake.
Yeah, there's a lot to still shake out there I'm not sure they're that serious on Jorgensen, not if they can get an experienced league player from one of their rivals. In that case Manu leaving may actually make them less likely to bother with Jorgensen, given they have a bit more cap space to play with.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was listening to Triple M for the first time in ages yesterday (phone was dead) and there was a decent discussion around NRL expansion.

The talking heads seemed to think Vlandys will make a mid season announcement about a 20 team competition from 2026 with the expansions coming in Christchurch, Perth & PNG.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah Roy Masters on Offsiders this morning was saying they need to add another kiwi team and 'take advantage of the Rugby Union talent over there'.
The hypocrisy of the media in jail rugby astounds me.
fucking fluffybunnys