• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not particularly concerned about long serving players going to Europe at the end of their careers. It would be nice if they didn't feel the need to do so, but it's not a big issue.

What is a bigger issue is the exodus of the next generation. Blokes who are in their early 20s who haven't played beyond NRC. These guys are the next generation super players and Wallabies - and they are the ones who are going in ever increasing numbers. I mean $140,000 for a SS first grader - no club in the SANZAR countries can compete against that and that is what we are up against if we want to reduce the exodus.

I repeat - there is no short term solution, the "problem" will get worse, the only solution is to get more money into the game other than in Europe, the only way that I can see this happening is for the US, Canada and Japan and prefereably also the PI to align with the SANZAR countries to form a 10 nation bloc. Such an alliance brings with it the possibility of bringing money into the game.

I can't see any other solution - it just has to happen or we need to accept the fact that the best players (past, present and future) will not be playing in the SANZAR countries.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It doesn't matter where he was born, he was doing okay in New Zealand as a junior. He was playing in the back-row.

No doubt he assumes that he had a better chance of reaching the top in Australia than he would have in New Zealand.

This is the brave new world, chaps, all the stuff about the honour of playing for your country, paying back the debt a player owes for the chances he has had, all that stuff is just.........stuff.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It doesn't matter where he was born, he was doing okay in New Zealand as a junior. He was playing in the back-row.

No doubt he assumes that he had a better chance of reaching the top in Australia than he would have in New Zealand.

This is the brave new world, chaps, all the stuff about the honour of playing for your country, paying back the debt a player owes for the chances he has had, all that stuff is just...stuff.

Only reason his place of birth matters is that it meant he could be eligible for a waratah and wallaby jersey almost immediately after coming over here.

We were lucky to get the seven years out of him, there must have been plenty of good offers before this.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Keps is a great fellow, and I think married with children.

He has given great service to Australian rugby and surely no-one can begrudge him for a lifestyle choice, coupled with extra dollars.

He remains in the top 3 most important players going into our RWC campaign.

An early thanks, Keps

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
IMO one of but if the pack don't work as one he is as useless as anybody else. Remember English game. Keps the poor bugger was let down by loc. flanker and No. 8. Absolutely not his fault but he copped a unfair amount of criticism

As did any other poor sod who found himself at THP.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm not particularly concerned about long serving players going to Europe at the end of their careers. It would be nice if they didn't feel the need to do so, but it's not a big issue.

What is a bigger issue is the exodus of the next generation. Blokes who are in their early 20s who haven't played beyond NRC. These guys are the next generation super players and Wallabies - and they are the ones who are going in ever increasing numbers. I mean $140,000 for a SS first grader - no club in the SANZAR countries can compete against that and that is what we are up against if we want to reduce the exodus.

I repeat - there is no short term solution, the "problem" will get worse, the only solution is to get more money into the game other than in Europe, the only way that I can see this happening is for the US, Canada and Japan and prefereably also the PI to align with the SANZAR countries to form a 10 nation bloc. Such an alliance brings with it the possibility of bringing money into the game.

I can't see any other solution - it just has to happen or we need to accept the fact that the best players (past, present and future) will not be playing in the SANZAR countries.

How many of these guys are there? Surely there aren't that many. And if this is such a huge problem, why don't we see the same in NZ? Maybe I'm just not in the know anymore but it doesn't seem like there a huge number of ITM Cup players flocking overseas for huge dollars like this. I would think that the ITM Cup would be a bigger target for overseas club than SS.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Carter & Nonu are at the end of their careers.

Halai and Thrush are probably not going to get a good crack at the ABs given the depth in those positions.

Franks, to me, is a loss but probably at 30 yrs old and still very much a fringe AB, I can understand.

Having these Wallabies leave is like seeing Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Kieran Reid, and Faumuina leave the ABs. (Bloody hell - I spose they probably will now I've gone and said it!!)

Should the Wallabies win the RWC then I suppose a lot of this changes.maybe they are backing themselves :)

Sort of the same then, some at the ends of their careers, some fringe units taking the money

As others have said, Kepu is the only one near a guaranteed starter.

Even AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is more likely to be a bench option in a injury free Wallaby squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's a reasonable number. For some it is the difference between being an amateur rugby player in Australia and needing another job and being a professional rugby player in Europe.

For the ones that are a bit further up the pecking order and have been on Super Rugby contracts for a few years, it's probably more about trying to make a bit of a nest egg out of their rugby career.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Sort of the same then, some at the ends of their careers, some fringe units taking the money

As others have said, Kepu is the only one near a guaranteed starter.

Even AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is more likely to be a bench option in a injury free Wallaby squad

Really...Genia at the end of his career or fringe?

White - end of his career or doesn't back himself to be one of the top 2 half-backs in the country?

Higgers - end of career or doesn't think he's going to be one of the best No. 8's in Australia?

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is definitely towards the end of his career which is why I didn't mention him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really.Genia at the end of his career or fringe?

White - end of his career or doesn't back himself to be one of the top 2 half-backs in the country?

Higgers - end of career or doesn't think he's going to be one of the best No. 8's in Australia?

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is definitely towards the end of his career which is why I didn't mention him.

White is the only one who is relatively early in his career. Genia is 27 and Higginbotham is 28. With ARU top up contracts reducing in number, Higginbotham is probably on the bubble of having a guaranteed top up and Genia has certainly dropped down the pecking order in the last couple of years mostly through injury.

We don't know yet what Genia is doing in 2016 but maybe he feels like his rugby has stagnated and he needs a change? Maybe he'll have a resurgence and he'll end up staying? White going offshore could influence him to stay as it's more likely that he'll get a guaranteed top up contract.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Really.Genia at the end of his career or fringe?

It is more are they going to still be going for the next RWC

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
White surprised me - being so young and in the mix. Genia doesn't surprise me - he needs a change to get his footy back on track.
Higgers did not. He will be the highest paid by far and the $$$$ made it impossible for him to stay

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm certainly hopeful we'll see the likes of Pyle, Douglas and Alo-Emile make their way back to Australia in 2017-2018 for a run at the next world cup. They've all commented that they haven't given up on playing for Australia 1 day.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
White surprised me - being so young and in the mix. Genia doesn't surprise me - he needs a change to get his footy back on track.
Higgers did not. He will be the highest paid by far and the $$$$ made it impossible for him to stay

Agree Nic White is a surprise really thought he would stay in oz rugby. I cant really blame the guy for wanting to experience playing in France as so many brumbies are now doing.