• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd pay to watch the Wallabies play the overseas former Wallabies.

As i said, i look forward to the young guys stepping up.
Coleman locking partner is from South Africa.
Skelton possibly locking partner from South Africa being Jackpot.

All I'm saying is I hope we have the young guys step up instead of pulling more players from Over Seas.

Steenkamp isn't eligible. He played for the Emerging Springboks. He's 27 or so and he isn't that flash a lock. He runs a good line-out, but I would take Rob Simmons over him every day of the week (and I don't particularly like Simmons).

Coleman I do rate. He's young and is playing well in his first full season. I reckon he'll be a Wallaby eventually.

As we are, the Wallabies will do alright for locks in tests if there aren't too many injuries and/or players out of form (Horwill). But at a Super Rugby level with each squad needing at least 4 locks, we are thin on depth.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd pay to watch the Wallabies play the overseas former Wallabies.

As we are, the Wallabies will do alright for locks in tests if there aren't too many injuries and/or players out of form (Horwill). But at a Super Rugby level with each squad needing at least 4 locks, we are thin on depth.

and this goes to the heart of the issue. we simply do not have the depth required to allow sabbaticals from a business perspective in the short term. so often the kiwis are raised as an example of why we should do it, but they have one real sport for males in the winter and because of this have the depth across the park.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many pages do I have to go back through to find a Fantasy 1st XV of Aussies Overseas? Of those who will be overseas by the end of the year? Just started thinking about this again last night after Pulver said he had zero appetite for sabbaticals.

Could the overseas team beat the current Wallabies team?

4. Douglas
5. Timani
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Houston
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. Giteau
14. Mitchell
15. OConnor

If Dan Palmer isn't coming home to help out with the Wallaby front row depth issues, then he would be a certainty for @Tangawizi's fantasy overseas Wobs.

And to answer the question of who would win, the current Wobs would beat that mob by 30 points.

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Now I wish I had got onto this thread earlier! The player drain will stay steady. The player supply will increase with my pet comp the NRC starting. Just hope it's given time to bear fruit.

Won't carry on about France' performances and t14 ruining their national side as its been done ad nauseum. Surely their supporters will realise how bad it is and stop going to league games in protest? Just a thought...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Won't carry on about France' performances and t14 ruining their national side as its been done ad nauseum. Surely their supporters will realise how bad it is and stop going to league games in protest? Just a thought.

No. The supporters care more about their club than their national team. The club represents their local area and play in their town every 2nd week for half the year. While I'm sure people like to see local representation, they care more about their team performing well. If the foreign players embrace the area and the team, and play well then the locals will embrace them as their own. They get adopted by the tribe.

Most of the major team sports in the world are primarily based around club competitions for this reason.

T

Train Without a Station

Kurtley Beale says he has no choice but to look at options beyond rugby

After three Test appearances off the bench against France this month, Beale is back in the Waratahs' fold and leading the charge towards the side's first Super Rugby finals appearance in three years.
In an interview with Fairfax Media, Beale said he wanted to play for the Wallabies in next year's World Cup but was also determined to look after his own interests after turning a one-year ARU lifeline into a season of career-best performances for NSW.
"I want it to be right for me. Especially if I'm not starting in the Wallabies, I have to look after my future," he said.
"There are a lot of players in front of me at the moment and I have to weigh up my options. The only thing that can help me is to stay focused, keep my head down, play good consistent rugby, and hopefully that will help me with the decision.
"I know where I'm at rugby-wise, but if they see it differently then that's when I have to start to look at the other options that I have."
In a week when the Waratahs look to have finally agreed to a new two-year deal with resurgent Test back Rob Horne, Beale's comments will sound alarmbells.
NSW coach Michael Cheika will be in no mood to take risks with his 25-year-old playmaker, particularly in light of second rower Kane Douglas' shock departure for Europe.
The Waratahs were helpless bystanders when Douglas's negotiations broke down with the ARU, who now negotiate directly with the top 25 or so players in Australia.
Beale has been a key figure in the side's climb up the competition ladder to second spot and, with two seasons' worth of Super Rugby finals experience, will play a crucial role in helping the side navigate the final three weeks of the regular season and beyond.
Fairfax Media understands the ARU have tabled an offer, but the 45-Test playmaker said he was in no rush to re-sign.
"The World Cup's around the corner, that would be pretty nice to be involved with, but I'm just sticking to what I know," Beale said.
"If people don't see my rugby the way I think it's going, then for my own sake I have to weigh up my options. I'm no different to every other player out there. That's the way it goes, unfortunately."

I understand that players and managers will say this sort of thing in order to pump up their value. We all make these types of professional comments in negotiations, though sports is just played out in the media.

But if there is any seriousness in his comments I've probably lost the last bit of respect I ever had for the bloke. He was thrown a lifeline essentially after numerous problems in Melbourne. This was on the back of a few prior and ultimately given plenty of chances to hit his peak.

If anybody can remember, prior to his Wallabies debut he was languishing in 2009 going nowhere fast as a player when he was given some hard truths and taken under his wing by the then Wallaby coach to reach the peak of his career and receive big money contracts.

Now that he's fallen down in the pecking order, rightfully so (not a reflection on him - a reflecting on the depth now) he's not happy to be a bit player in a winning national team?

Hope I'm off the mark but that's my $0.02.

T

Train Without a Station

Beale needs to see how his own rugby is going to. Let's look back at him:

• Came on the scene young, promised a lot but was found out and ended up delivering little - Was quite good his first season though if I recall;
  • Got fat, floated between 10 and 12 and his form suffered;
  • Was taken on a Wallaby tour in 2009 despite not really being deserving;
  • Debuted on the wing;
  • Pulled his finger out, dropped the puppy fat and had a great 2010. Stood up at fullback when we really had no other quality options and showed himself to be one of the top players in the world in that time;
  • Form dropped in 2011. Was still at a good level but failed to replicate the heights of the year before;
  • Went to the Rebels in 2012. His time was marred by average form with the odd outstanding game and injuries;
  • During this time was consistently picked for the Wallabies based on his 2010 ability despite no longer showing it;
  • Has had a great year in 2014. Despite this has weaknesses in his play (defence and lateral attack), is not playing at the level he was in 2010 and is considered a bench option for the Wallabies due to greater depth developing in key positions.
Perhaps when he can have great seasons without a 3 year gap between them, others may see his rugby going the way he does.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"beyond rugby" is interesting, I don't see him ever leaving rugby. Possibly overseas but I reckon it's all talk to get his price up.

His contract at the Tahs must be seriously low which wouldn't be unexpected given no one else wanted him. He obviously feels he's repaid the faith and is now able to command a higher a salary given the way he is playing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not reading too much into his comments really. I think he could have chosen his words a little better but I don't think it is much different to interviews with many players when contract negotiations come up.

I was at a Norths Rugby lunch (Bon Andrews) last Friday and it was interesting hearing Cheika talk about Beale. He said when Beale came back to the Tahs during the off season Cheika would receive multiple anonymous emails every week (many of which he thought were from the same people) claiming that they'd seen Beale out drinking and getting into trouble etc. Cheika's take on it was that people were trying to white-ant Beale with little or no basis behind it.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This game of Russian roulette for contracts through the media is the realm of pimps and charlatans.

Instead of throwing the toys out of the pram and trying to bluff your way into a starting role, pull your finger out, put your head down and graft.

All it takes is an injury/poor form/act of god and he's a starting Wallaby with goal kicking duties.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
"beyond rugby" is interesting, I don't see him ever leaving rugby. Possibly overseas but I reckon it's all talk to get his price up.

His contract at the Tahs must be seriously low which wouldn't be unexpected given no one else wanted him. He obviously feels he's repaid the faith and is now able to command a higher a salary given the way he is playing.

he hasn't yet repaid the faith, and by taking his negotiations public will actually undermine the growing belief in his sincerity. this smacks of a troublesome teenager whose just come off a grounding pushing their luck too far too quickly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
he hasn't yet repaid the faith, and by taking his negotiations public will actually undermine the growing belief in his sincerity. this smacks of a troublesome teenager whose just come off a grounding pushing their luck too far too quickly.

Only because there are still six weeks left in the Super Rugby season.

The faith shown in him was to give him a one year contract (at a far lower rate than his big contract at the Rebels).

This isn't the Catholic Church. In terms of repaying the faith, that only lasts as long as their faith in him lasts (in terms of contract length). He'll never make up for underperforming and behaving poorly at the Rebels. It's pointless for him to think that he has to appease people for those previous mistakes because I don't think anything he can do in the future changes what happened in the past.