• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia domestic rugby 2020

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not to be overly negative, I'm stoked we get rugby back but how did AFL and NRL organise their incredibly more complex 18 teams from all over Aus to start a month before ours?

Maybe because they tried to get the Moondogs involved and because the teams are spread out further?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well as it completely seperate form NZ comp I can throw my hat in ring as Reds man with no distractions, so you Tahs bastards are lucky I can't get to Suncorp for first game to tell your players what lowlifes they are!!!;)
If crowds are back I might do a away game for super yet too, maybe comedown and with Reds give the Rebels or Brubies a hiding!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not to be overly negative, I'm stoked we get rugby back but how did AFL and NRL organise their incredibly more complex 18 teams from all over Aus to start a month before ours?

I would guess because it involved starting from scratch to get the broadcast agreement across the line because it wasn't the existing competition (which was essential for it to take place) versus NRL and AFL which were just running shortened versions of the exact same competitions they already had agreements for.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
There was also a certain amount of risk to go first. The NRL could easily have started and then had to stop again if a 2nd Wave had hit about now.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Confirmed law variations:

1. When an attacking player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal or knocks the ball on play restarts with a goal line drop-out
2. When a kick enters the in-goal area and is forced by the defending team play restarts with a goal line drop-out
3. A kick originating in the attacking 22m area cannot be marked by the defending team within their own 22m area. The kick can however be marked within the defending team’s in-goal area and play restarts with a 22m line drop- out
4. Red Card - A red carded player can be replaced after 20min
5. 50/22 - A kick taken from within the defending team’s 50m area that travels into touch within the opposition’s 22m area having first bounced in the field of play results in a lineout throw to the kicking team
6. 22/50 - A kick taken from within the defending team’s 22m area that travels into touch within the opposition’s 50m area having first bounced in the field of play results in a lineout throw to the kicking team
7. Super Time - (2 x 5min periods of extra time) in the event of a drawn game after regulation time where the first points scored wins the match for the scoring team

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Red card is good.

I'm torn on 3. I think this could be way too hard to defend and way too big of an advantage to the attacking side but it does encourage more attacking kicks which is good.

What on earth is the logic for #2? That'll just delay the game even more to get the whole team behind the tryline rather than just the 22.

I don't understand why there's this punishment for getting held up? You're getting the same penalty as a knock on - your attacking chance is completely gone. Stupid.

The 50-22/22-50s are total gimmicks that we barely even saw happen in the NRC. Which is strange because they seem too easy. Teams already have players back to receive kicks.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd like to see all cards just be yellow. Less pressure on the onfield ref and the game isn't stopped for a significant period. TMO reviews the card in the 10 mins and makes a decision to stay a yellow or change to a red. If it is red the player can be replaced after 20mins unless the it is for deliberate foul play such as punching.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd like to see all cards just be yellow. Less pressure on the onfield ref and the game isn't stopped for a significant period. TMO reviews the card in the 10 mins and makes a decision to stay a yellow or change to a red. If it is red the player can be replaced after 20mins unless the it is for deliberate foul play such as punching.

I do like this suggestion.

We need to get the decisions right but sometimes that takes far too long (and the decision isn't always right anyway). Giving the TMO 10 minutes to look at it and reach a decision is good.

There are also no issues for the team who has the carded player because if it does get upgraded to red they have another 10 minutes to get a replacement ready.

I think too much now we have what are deemed red card offences in terms of suspensions only given yellows in games (which I am happy with because whilst I want to eradicate the dangerous behaviour I don't want too many red cards).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have to say I not overly keen on some of those law variations, if you want league rules play league. I understand the desire to trial new laws, just personally I find it hard to switch onto a game that is neither Rugby or League. Still we will wait to see what happens, and try to keep an open mind.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Red card is good.

I'm torn on 3. I think this could be way too hard to defend and way too big of an advantage to the attacking side but it does encourage more attacking kicks which is good.

What on earth is the logic for #2? That'll just delay the game even more to get the whole team behind the tryline rather than just the 22.

I don't understand why there's this punishment for getting held up? You're getting the same penalty as a knock on - your attacking chance is completely gone. Stupid.

The 50-22/22-50s are total gimmicks that we barely even saw happen in the NRC. Which is strange because they seem too easy. Teams already have players back to receive kicks.

I assume that the reason behind #2 is to give the added advantage to the attacking team.

I assume that the purpose of #1 is to get rid of the 5 metre scrum, but still give the attacking team territory and a chance of possession - not saying I necessarily agree with it. Seems odd that you get the same result for dropping the ball as for being held up.

My view is that the scrum has been allowed to take a prominence in the game over the past 20-30 years way out of proportion to what it was ever envisaged to be and way beyond its traditional place. The effect has been the time-consuming tedium and over-refereeing of scrums that we see today. The reaction to this is that if rugby wants to remain in the entertainment business, it will either need to go back to the original purpose of the scrum which was to decide possession of the ball after a minor infringement OR have less scrums. We simply can't go on as we are and expect to compete in the sporting landscape.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If there's one scrum you DON'T want to get rid of it should be the 5m attacking one. That's the one where a team should rightly be allowed to exercise their scrum dominance and a team with a weak one get found out.

If you want to tidy up scrums and reduce their prevalence how about restricting how much a defending halfback can interfere with the opposite halfback and/or #8 getting rid of the ball from a scrum.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If there's one scrum you DON'T want to get rid of it should be the 5m attacking one. That's the one where a team should rightly be allowed to exercise their scrum dominance and a team with a weak one get found out.

If you want to tidy up scrums and reduce their prevalence how about restricting how much a defending halfback can interfere with the opposite halfback and/or #8 getting rid of the ball from a scrum.
Just abolish scrum resets. Save everyone 30 minutes a game of watching props get a leg massage.