• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia domestic rugby 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If there's one scrum you DON'T want to get rid of it should be the 5m attacking one. That's the one where a team should rightly be allowed to exercise their scrum dominance and a team with a weak one get found out.

If you want to tidy up scrums and reduce their prevalence how about restricting how much a defending halfback can interfere with the opposite halfback and/or #8 getting rid of the ball from a scrum.

I didn't say I agreed with the decision.:)

EDIT: But from what I can see it's a method of speeding up the restart. What league has shown us with its 6 again change is that keeping the play continuous and/or getting it straight back into play has a significant impact in terms of fatigue and also the ability of the defence to use a stoppage to reset.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
What adding these law variations:
1. Attacking team held up over the line 10m tap to attacking team.
2. Drop kicks to be considered the same as general play kicks (i.e if it goes dead in goal it is a scrum from where it was kicked). Very important with Super Time
3. Addition of orange card. Any infringement not a professional foul or repeated infringement gets an orange card. This means it is a yellow but then checked by the TMO in the 10mins and the player is either allowed back to the field of play or it is upgraded to a red card. Red card can be replaced after 20mins if it is not intentional foul play such as punching/gouging etc.
4. At a scrum defending scrumhalf can not pass their fontrow
5. Scrum/lineout time. Too slow warning then tap only (no scrum option) penalty if continued full arm.
6. Super Time comp point scoring. Winner 3 points loser 1 point + 1 bonus point.

Also like to see referees address/police currently laws more strictly. So the issue of "injured players" (longer than 1min down up or off) and time to kick at goal (1min).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes

All make far too much sense to be implemented. Instead we get ideas no one wanted.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On the rule changes - I am open to any experimentation - trial it - and if it makes the game more appealing to attract a wider following fantastic and if it doesn’t you drop it.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm intrigued by this new law variation where they bring in a flare. Crack a red or orange flare when you're up by 30?

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 9.33.10 pm.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think these variations are going to make kicking the main attacking weapon, little chip kicks over the top from inside the 22 can't be marked etc, grubber the ball over the line and get a kick back from a goal line drop out . FFS

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think these variations are going to make kicking the main attacking weapon, little chip kicks over the top from inside the 22 can't be marked etc, grubber the ball over the line and get a kick back from a goal line drop out . FFS

I think that's going to be how it goes. Whether it makes for a better game is to be seen. I think they could have done something in other areas instead of just relying of kicks, but it is what it is and we'll have to see.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think that's going to be how it goes. Whether it makes for a better game is to be seen. I think they could have done something in other areas instead of just relying of kicks, but it is what it is and we'll have to see.
Yep QH, whenever I see these variations etc, I think what I would if I was still coaching, and kicking when on attack is the main one I would be saying , keep them pinned down on their own line continually.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep QH, whenever I see these variations etc, I think what I would if I was still coaching, and kicking when on attack is the main one I would be saying , keep them pinned down on their own line continually.
That happens a lot, anyway. Particularly to us.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
To cover the kicks , you need at least a sweeper in the 22.

If you don’t put enough back to cover the kick you could get shown up by a good attacking kick , if you put defenders back , there are less in the line and more opportunities through the hands .

I actually don’t mind it .

Same with the new held up rule , rewards good defence , but attacking team effectively get the ball back , they just lose field position as few will try a short restart on their own try line .

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rugby does not innovate it risks being left (further) behind.

League made some recent rule tweaks with positive results so again I am open to trialing new rules and this sort of short form domestic competition perfect to trial new experimental law variations.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

If you don’t put enough back to cover the kick you could get shown up by a good attacking kick , if you put defenders back , there are less in the line and more opportunities through the hands .

Same with the new held up rule , rewards good defence , but attacking team effectively get the ball back , they just lose field position as few will try a short restart on their own try line .

The thing that worries me is when a team on attack against a good defence is the little chip kick is going to be more important, than the ability to have a good pick and go, which is moving the game away from the fundamentals of good forward based play. I don't want a variant of league, so hope my fears are wrong!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I agree, and also it will get the ball back into play quicker which increases fatigue.

How often do we see a 5 metre attacking scrum and all of a sudden one of the defensive props is suddenly on the ground with a cramp or a sore shoulder? We then all stand around a couple of minutes until the 21st century version of magic water cures said prop of all ailments. By which time of course his team have caught their breath, organised their defence etc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The thing that worries me is when a team on attack against a good defence is the little chip kick is going to be more important, than the ability to have a good pick and go, which is moving the game away from the fundamentals of good forward based play. I don't want a variant of league, so hope my fears are wrong!

According to Scott Johnson this was something that they considered in their deliberations.

Rugby Australia Director of Rugby, Scott Johnson said: “We assembled some of the best minds in the game from a range of different roles to look at adding some new attacking dimensions to the game while at the same time sticking to some key principles to preserve the fabric of the sport.“We will also zero in on the application of law around the breakdown and scrums, trying to limit some of the down time and improve the flow of the game.
“Throughout the process we stuck to the principle that whatever we changed, the game still had to be Rugby, and nothing could compromise the Wallabies’ preparation for Test Rugby. In fact, I believe the changes we have implemented will broaden and enhance the capabilities of our players.”

https://nsw.rugby/news/2020/06/12/rule-variations-super-au