• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hodge, Petaia, Koroibete and Daugunu made no clean breaks but their runs and metres made are interesting:
Hodge: 11 runs for 74m
Petaia: 5 runs for 55m
Koroibete: 5 runs for 35m
Daugunu: with little time still made 3 runs for 23m
They're quite high average run metres for players who didn't make clean breaks. One aspect we are rather poor in, and have been for some time, in attack is capitalising on a strong carry. We'll often fail to identify where the space is and either charge into defenders around the ruck or look to go out the back and give the defence time to reset. At other times, we'll try and push an offload or a pass off the ground.

Obviously, the ABs struggles against organised defence have been well-documented in the last week but when they do scatter the defensive line you immediately see Mo'unga, Barrett or Smith from the base step in and identify the space. In League, exploiting weaknesses in the defensive line after a strong carry is the bread and butter of the spine. We need to be looking at how we can do better off half-breaks.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What a load of rubbish. Koriebete is the current John Eales medallist and one of the few in our ranks that would get a start in most of, if not all, other top tier test sides. Are you suggesting that every other Wallaby player last year didn’t know what they were talking about or who they were voting for? That Michael Cheika and now Rennie have no idea? He is one of the first picked every test and rightly so.

BR, it’s a very long bow to draw.

I see can where BR is coming from. Something about Koro just doesn't seem 'natural'. Koro is like a one dimensional freight-train, he is a strong as hell runner, puts on a good hit, is all effort and determination but I agree he is no rugby brain. When his low percentage play on defense comes off its a match winner, but it is still a low percentage play.

I think he is prone to throw away the ball or make some silly decisions. I think people think about his fantastic game against NZ which makes people forget his first game this year was terrible.

Last year he was very good with some nice trys and deserved the John Eales medal but there was hardly any stand-outs in a disappointing year.

Not saying he isn't the best option on the wing at the moment. We love his determination and effort, but let's not disregard his faults either.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t recall too many tries being scored down his wing. Is my memory getting that bad as I age?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Dave, I've posted earlier, but it's worth repeating I think. The change in structure and failure to perform in the last 20 coincides with Tom Wright being replaced.

correlation versus causation..

plenty of substitutions and variables occur in the last which change the structure and performance of a team. I find it hard to believe the substitution of a winger has a bigger impact on the structure of the team then the halves or forwards.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Looking ahead anyone got the inside word on JOC (James O'Connor)? He's not played for a month now so hoping he is close to being fit.

Thinking with a fit JOC (James O'Connor) (or To'omua) we can revert to a 6/2 bench. With either Hodge or Banks at 15 with the other on the bench, neither seems to have an issue playing 80 minutes.

This would make our forward selections better I believe. Seems that having the 5/3 bench and no reserve lock means Hanigan needs to start. However with 6/2 can have a reserve lock and potentially have a strong ball carrying 6/8 starting(depending where Wilson plays).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SANZAAR have reportedly deemed that Matera's hair pulling doesn't meet the Red Card threshold & consequently no further action will be taken.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know everyone loves Jordan Petaia but does anyone think that maybe he needs a stint on the bench or wing/fullback. His setting up of the man outside him the last few tests has been poor and he gets isolated a lot.

Something along the lines of 10 Lolesio /JOC (James O'Connor) 12 Hodge 13 Paisami 11 Koro 14 Wright 15 Petaia/Banks I just think he needs to grow parts of his game. Moving Hodge to 12 gets us a second ball player, and a JOC (James O'Connor)/Lolesio a decent 10.

Saturday night I think it was a massive mistake that Noah didn't get on nearly as big as Gordan over Tate, the game was ripe for some Tate magic in the last 20. Gordan should be behind both Powell and Tate now..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Posted by Brumby Jack on twitter, this was the killer.

EnYLpU4XIAIfgAE.jpg

With Daugunu and Valetini outside him, Koroibete looming on his inside shoulder, lots of space and backpedalling defenders, Petaia kicks to no one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Posted by Brumby Jack on twitter, this was the killer.

With Daugunu and Valetini outside him, Koroibete looming on his inside shoulder, lots of space and backpedalling defenders, Petaia kicks to no one.

And yet Rennie complaint was they didn’t kick enough.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gordan should be behind both Powell and Tate now..

I liked your post right up until this bit.

I think McDermott should be our bench 9 based on what I've seen from him and Gordon BUT they bring a different skillset so maybe that is a horses for courses approach.

I don't see anything from Powell recently to suggest he's ahead of any other halfback available.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know everyone loves Jordan Petaia but does anyone think that maybe he needs a stint on the bench or wing/fullback. His setting up of the man outside him the last few tests has been poor and he gets isolated a lot.

Something along the lines of 10 Lolesio /JOC (James O'Connor) 12 Hodge 13 Paisami 11 Koro 14 Wright 15 Petaia/Banks I just think he needs to grow parts of his game. Moving Hodge to 12 gets us a second ball player, and a JOC (James O'Connor)/Lolesio a decent 10.

Saturday night I think it was a massive mistake that Noah didn't get on nearly as big as Gordan over Tate, the game was ripe for some Tate magic in the last 20. Gordan should be behind both Powell and Tate now..

I suggested the same a few tests ago, he needs to be encouraged to get the ball to players in better positions and support

He may be then surprised to find more space as defensive coaches plan stops being team up on the hog

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Timing of kicks being the issue.

Paisami gave the Argies their first 3 by running instead of kicking - he was targeted at several restarts. He switched onto that and started kicking almost immediately bar the chargedown. That is good in that he learned from his mistake.

Rennie's point was actually that we got a lead and then didn't play territory very well at all.

I'm not sure Petaia is learning from his mistakes at this point. Fabulous skills, but every opponent knows that and while it worked well against the rotating door that is the AB midfield combinations, the Pumas put players in their preferred positions and looked after him fairly well.

The other thing is the Pumas have pace to burn unlike the ABs, so their scramble is excellent.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'm guessing it's more the types of kicks than the number.

We lost our shape in the last half an hour, ran around like headless chickens making poor decisions and dropping the ball and our discipline was poor.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I liked your post right up until this bit.

I think McDermott should be our bench 9 based on what I've seen from him and Gordon BUT they bring a different skillset so maybe that is a horses for courses approach.

I don't see anything from Powell recently to suggest he's ahead of any other halfback available.

Other then Powell, was the winning half back of the best team in SuperAU and selected infront of White... I get the horses for courses I just dont see what Gordan has brought in his time off the bench, it would be Tate for me, but Powell would/should get a gig infront of Gordan now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Other then Powell, was the winning half back of the best team in SuperAU and selected infront of White. I get the horses for courses I just dont see what Gordan has brought in his time off the bench, it would be Tate for me, but Powell would/should get a gig infront of Gordan now.

Do you think the other 9s reputation may have been enhanced by playing behind the ponies dominant pack possibly more than Powells?

Or that playing behind the other packs under continual pressure provides them a deeper understanding of the reality of being the Wobs 9?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Other then Powell, was the winning half back of the best team in SuperAU and selected infront of White. I get the horses for courses I just dont see what Gordan has brought in his time off the bench, it would be Tate for me, but Powell would/should get a gig infront of Gordan now.

The performance of the team versus individual does have pros and cons. It can mask faults, but it can also underline the player's dominance in a particular area.

Ben Darwin has been putting out some information about combinations being important, however in this case we're seeing the Brumbies' second choice 9 playing with the Rebels' ?third? choice 10, so obviously other considerations are being taken into account.

It might be that the styles of McDermott, Powell and White are too similar and they want a change option to alter the tempo of the game.

We have for years bemoaned the lack of a Plan B, so maybe Rennie is looking at these guys under pressure in order to see what is going to work in that regard.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

And even with the Pumas cover defence likely to cover this overlap by the time it gets to the 22, at least you could have some draw n pass, Valenti cutting inside to set up in front of the sticks for a droppie or penalty chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And even with the Pumas cover defence likely to cover this overlap by the time it gets to the 22, at least you could have some draw n pass, Valenti cutting inside to set up in front of the sticks for a droppie or penalty chance.

They certainly didn't have to score that phase.

Even if Petaia just carries into contact, he's likely to end up 30m out with front foot ball.

It was just terrible game awareness. One of our best attacking opportunities all game at a time of the game when we couldn't give the ball away and we kicked it aimlessly.