• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina, Sept 14th in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The player wasn't a decoy runner, he was originally the ball carrier and that is why this was correctly awarded a try.

Once a player passes the ball, they don't have to disappear. He didn't change his line and the fact that he was between the new ball carrier and Leali'ifano is not illegal. Contepomi was close to stepping behind the player but didn't quite. He never crossed so he was in a straight line behind his own player so that is not an obstruction.

I don't have a huge issue with this try, but I don't think you explanation is completely correct (or the laws aren't).

In this case the 10 passed to 12 who stepped back towards him, which means he stepped back towards Lilo, who was unable to make a tackle due to the screening player. While a player passing the ball can't disappear, the bloke receiving it can't use that player as a screen to the inside defender and therein lies the issue.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I notice the Tahs are going to play Folau at 13 next year..let's hope Link follows suit! Or even tests it out on the EOYT.

And AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 12 according to the article.

Santiago

Allen Oxlade (6)
The wind favoured your team in the second half. That is the main reason Australia struggled to gain territory.

The last time I checked the rules, it was still okay to win by a point. Have there been some changes?

I would much, much, rather win by a point than lose by a point. The difference is huge.
is it a win
but for me, it's not
yeah of course you guys won but in a way >australia should be more powerful

review the last year matches and this one.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Unlucky break for Cummins

Western Force winger Nick Cummins will seek a surgeon's help after breaking a hand in the Wallabies' one-point win against Argentina.
And the Australian Rugby Union expects to make a loss on Saturday night's Paterson Stadium Test as the Wallabies' poor form and the inclement weather reduced the crowd to only 18,214.

Cummins, who improved from his performance against South Africa the previous Saturday, had scans yesterday. It is understood he has a small break and could play with the injury.

Cummins has two weeks to recover before the Wallabies meet South Africa in Cape Town, which will be followed by Argentina in Rosaria.
Cummins ran hard in Saturday's 14-13 win and while he was abruptly chopped down by Argentinian No.8 Juan Manuel Leguizamon in one charge, he returned the favour with a crunching tackle that forced a key second-half turnover.

Coach Ewen McKenzie was happy with Cummins' game.
"It was more like what we expect from him, good chase, good enthusiasm, puts his body on the line. That's what we want, that's what we expected," McKenzie said.

"It was far more typical of what we expect of him. Last week he was probably a bit too excited and got a bit ahead of himself early."
The ARU budgeted for a 25,000 crowd and pre-sold 20,000 tickets, but the crowd was the smallest for a Wallabies Test since 15,438 fans turned out for a clash with Fiji in Canberra three years ago.

The ARU and State Government had discussed a move to the smaller and rugby-friendly nib Stadium because of a possible AFL finals clash, but that was ruled out because resurfacing at the newly developed ground had not finished.

The next Test in 12 months against South Africa will be played at Patersons Stadium because the Springboks attract a much bigger crowd.

Last year almost 34,500 fans attended a game.

The ARU and State Government have had preliminary talks on future Tests matches in Perth. An Eventscorp spokesman said they were interested in a "long-term" deal.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just finished watching the game for the first time, and Fardy was well an truly the best on ground. Our backrow played well as a unit, particularly Fardy and Hooper. They were really effective at the breakdown, and supported each other well.

Nic White had a good game also. He controlled things well at the back, and his boot is invaluable. I think he should start against South Africa. Considering the conditions, he combined reasonably well with Cooper.

Rob Simmons did some good work in tight, but gee he has a tendency to give away silly penalties. He could be so much better. It was a decent forward effort, as it had to be. Argentina looked really flat though. They really didn't look on top of their game, luckily for us.

The real difference for me was our reserves. They finally added value when they came on. Timani was physical, and Kepu and Fainga'a contributed well.

Not the best game, but I will take the win.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So if Perth is getting the Boks next season, does that mean Argentina will be headed to the Adelaide Oval.

The 3 France Tests have already gone to Bris, Mel & Sydney and there'll be a Bledisloe in Sydney & Brisbane too.

Which only leaves the Arg match if the ARU are to stick with JON's promise to take a Test to the new Stadium.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/oval-to-host-wallabies-test-in-2014/story-e6frea6u-1226330707579

Australian Rugby union chief executive John O'Neill yesterday confirmed his commitment to bringing a "big Test match" to Adelaide Oval, after moving the Australian leg of the Sevens World Series to the Gold Coast last year.

"Now that we've got a bit more certainty about the timing of the completion of the redevelopment - which we have been told is March 2014 - in 2014 we will bring a Test match to Adelaide," Mr O'Neill said.
"We won't be bringing a Bledisloe Cup to Adelaide, but there are other opportunities, particularly around Argentina or South Africa. France are (also) touring that year for three Tests.
"It will be a genuine Test match."

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Don't know whether the difference WAs the bench. Didn't we leach points in the second half. IMO reserve props were poor and got smoked badly.
Finger went OK.

Didn't think Genia contributed much from the pine ( very happy with White's overall performance) Fardy and Hooper were very good

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't know whether the difference WAs the bench. Didn't we leach points in the second half. IMO reserve props were poor and got smoked badly.
Finger went OK.

Didn't think Genia contributed much from the pine ( very happy with White's overall performance) Fardy and Hooper were very good

We were also playing into the wind in the second half. It was always going to be a game where almost all the points were scored in one direction.

Our scrum did ok later in the game I thought.

In terms of our props and locks, I thought the scrum got a bit weaker when Slipper went off and Sio came on.

The scrum was struggling both before and after Douglas was replaced and Simmons moved to LH lock but then the scrum improved when Kepu replaced Alexander.

Our best scrum of the game came when Sio and Kepu were on and Simmons was at LH and Timani at TH lock.

Of the scrum penalties, most of them were awarded against Alexander when Simmons was playing lock behind him. White gave away one scrum penalty for a crooked feed.

D

daz

Which only leaves the Arg match if the ARU are to stick with JON's promise to take a Test to the new Stadium.

Last time I looked, JON was not the ARU CEO anymore so whatever "promise" he might have made re: Adelaide became null and void the very second he vacated the chair.

I'm still waiting on his "promise" to restore the Bledisloe to the ARU trophy shelf, so you can take a number and get in line, fella!

:D

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe they should be looking at playing tests where Super Rugby is played before we start handing them out to places like Adelaide....

Yeah, right. The short sighted thinking re Adelaide started when they took the Sevens away from there to try the Gold Coast. Crowds went down, not up! But no one wants to talk about that little error.

If we just had a real, carefully thought out strategy to market the game in non-Super cities we might make some progress on stemming the leakage to AFL. But instead we just seem to have given up.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Or Canberrans can just travel to Sydney. It's a 3 hour trip to Perth for me and I travel the distance to go and see tests. People in Canberra just need to accept that it's the price you pay for living in a rural area
;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are plenty who spend 3 hours from home to stadium in Sydney to watch a test at Homebush.

If there is a victory, it can take several more hours to get home. Sometimes traffic is so bad, it can be as late as 3 or 4am before one manages to finally get home.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^^^that assumes you live in the inner west, it's a much longer trip from the East or North suburbs

Status
Not open for further replies.