• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Great starting lineup (sans the obvious flyhalf issue), but McCalman on the bench leaves us with one backline injury away from disaster....

Exactly. So I can't agree with barbarian's 'the best Aussie team that has been assembled for many years' - because it is too risky and lacks a flyhalf that is able to leverage any forward dominance!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
My guess is Tomane will move to Outside centre if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down, his played there before is big enough and good enough.

Beale to 10
JOC (James O'Connor) to the wing
Mogg to fullback.

I still would have had Kilmen on the bench over McCalman..

It is ridiculous but you are probably right. We need to switch 3 positions just to fill for one player going down.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
i think McCalman is there for his breakdown work. Deans wont want the Lions to have any clean ball. Kimlin has a better running game but McCalman makes his tackles and hits rucks. Slow ball will stuff the Lions.

Fair to say this is an inverted Ireland Quarter-Final 2011 selection where McCalman was then picked for the reason that we're saying he is picked for now? - I.e fetchers not as important as strength at the breakdown?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think I probably would have gone for Horne on the bench in place of Mogg. We already have like 5 guys in our team that can cover fullback.would have preferred an extra centre.

That makes real sense. We have JOC (James O'Connor), Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Tomane that can all stand in a fullback if needed.

If Lilo or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) go down it causes a stupid reshuffle.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
barb, you already started on the pre-game drinks :)

It's pretty amazing to see George Smith's name in a Wallabies team again. Thought it would never happen again. Well done that man and well done Robbie.

Here's one to mull over, if anyone of 10,11,12,14,15 go down injured Mogg will come on. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets injured early George Smith will go to centre..

Is Smith a better centre than Hooper? (this is an odd discussion)

Wonder if Hooper has done some more 12 training.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
George Smith. Wow, come on down mate. My head is just spinning at the thought of him lining up at 7 this weekend. It's not like he doesn't have runs on the board this season either.

That's a bloody exciting team Deans has picked there. If we can get parity or better in the set pieces and the collisions it'll be a fantastic spectacle. In order for all of that to happen we've got to hold the line in the scrum. The Lions will be gunning for us there and we just cannot afford to get whistled off the park by Monsieur Poite. O'Brien and Co. will also be formidable at the breakdown too and the back row as selected will have to have plenty of starch to keep the pressure off Genia.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How's that confidence index going now after Robbie announces Smith at 7?

The worm is heading northwards.

Nah, it's flatlining.........

I think the selections sums up Deans' tenure for me.........

For every good decision (Smith) comes one or two bad ones (JOC (James O'Connor) and bench)........

However, if it all works out then I'll be very satisfied.........

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fair to say this is an inverted Ireland Quarter-Final 2011 selection where McCalman was then picked for the reason that we're saying he is picked for now? - I.e fetchers not as important as strength at the breakdown?
difference being we have 2 7s in this team.

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think I probably would have gone for Horne on the bench in place of Mogg. We already have like 5 guys in our team that can cover fullback.would have preferred an extra centre.

Agree.

Also Mogg is hot and cold even at super rugby level. I am not yet convinced he is ready for test rugby.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)

I guess the thinking is that Mogg would be more of an impact player coming off the bench than Horne, either for some razzle-dazzle if we're behind, or to kick the cover off the ball if we're in front

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I doubt Gatland will be welcomed in Ireland any time soon after dropping BOD.

I don't think it would be an issue if it was the correct decision, but in this case many people are up in arms because they feel (rightly IMO) that Gatland has made a spectacular fail in this selection call, and from what I've read it isn't just the Irish who feel this way

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
The thought of Hooper going back to centre frightens me...

Beale to 10 / JOC (James O'Connor) to 13 if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, Horne or Taps would have made more sense

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
That makes real sense. We have JOC (James O'Connor), Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Tomane that can all stand in a fullback if needed.

If Lilo or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) go down it causes a stupid reshuffle.

Really?

Lilo goes down - JOC (James O'Connor) to 12, Mogg to 15 and Beale to 10.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down - JOC (James O'Connor)/Tomane to 13, Mogg to 15 and Beale to 10.

Both go down - JOC (James O'Connor) to 11, Tomane to 13, Hooper/Smith to 12, Beale to 10 and Mogg to 15.

3 go down - JOC (James O'Connor) to 11, Beale to 10, Smith to 13, Hooper to 12, Mogg to 15 and Folau/Tomane on a wing.

I do kind of agree with you though. I'm just thinking of similar scenarios to last week - 5 minutes to go and Mogg takes a highball in our 22. There's no way in hell that ball is going to be kick returned anywhere within the vicinity of our own half. We've seen how much of an advantage that's been to the Brumbies game....it's no different for the wallabies. Now if only Nic White was the on the bench....

George fucking Smith though. George Smith.

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
Really don't understand why McCalman was picked. Not doubting his work rate or anything, but he's hardly been playing this season and not in the sort of form that has been showed by Kimlin. What I don't understand more is the choice of a 6/2 bench. Someone like Horne should have been there, so we have majority of the positions covered in the backline. Let's just hope we have no serious injuries, mirroring what happened in the first test. Feel so sorry for Gill, he virtually WON us the second test with that line-out steal, however, welcome back George. Cannot wait for Smith vs O'Brien, should be exciting!

Omission of O'Driscoll is in my opinion one of the worst decisions of this tour. He a) hasn't been playing poorly b) is arguably one of the best players in the touring party. Lions now lack experience, which for us is bolstered by Smith's return. Perhaps they're opting for a better combination in the centres with Roberts and Davies both from Wales? Any thoughts on who will now be the Lion's captain. With Warburton, O'Connell and O'Driscoll out, it will be interesting to see who it will be. Sexton, Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom