• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England @ Twickers 17 Nov 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
My mistake. Still would see us up against either South africa, England, France or even argentina in the pools. And as matty said a greater chance of meeting NZ in the quarters.

Actually it is probably better to be in the pool with NZ, as we shouldn't then meet them again until the final.

Maybe we should try for 8th in the world?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Oz moves to 3rd on world rankings, and England pushed to 5th after the weekend's results.

I expect a fair amount of fire from the soap dodgers after that.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Honestlty, I struggle to see how we can seriously be ranked third on our form over the last couple of years. I would put us fifth, actually.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...-on-injured-calf/story-e6frf55l-1226515604929

David Pocock sat out Wallabies' training in London on Monday (UK time) and remains in doubt for this weekend's clash with England after having scans on a calf muscle.
Pocock attended training but was only a spectator along with fullback Mike Harris, who has a minor leg injury.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-forward-david-pocock-in-doubt-for-england-test-in-twickenham-after-scans-on-injured-calf/story-e6frf55l-1226515604929#ixzz2C3PKq67t

D

daz

If the Wallabies only record 1 win from 4 games on this tour, then please, for the love of Eales, let it be against the Poms.

Losing to the Samoans and the Scots made me feel angry, sad and betrayed. Losing to the Poms would be all of those things, plus I would feel dirty and nauseous with a side-order of depression manifesting by wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Just sayin'.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Tuilagi will murder us this weekend. Best of luck whomever is in the centres, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Tapuai/McCabe.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Tuilagi will murder us this weekend. Best of luck whomever is in the centres, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Tapuai/McCabe.

Yup. Saw this thread title and remembered when Tuilagi threw JDV into the air. Then remembered McCabe's size. Then, well yeah.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Great.

Send Pocock back home.

I don't want Deans breaking him.

It really makes you wonder about the ARU injury management procedures.

I was really hoping they wouldn't take digby on tour because if you look back at when his form has been best, it is always during the years when he has a full pre season. He's said it himself many times in the past.

Now I'm all for picking the best players possible, but if we are taking guys on tour and then not even playing them, what's the point?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...in-physical-battle-at-Twickenham-Stadium.html

More important than Ioane's quote is what TPN says further down - 'We are confident we can dominate the England scrum'.

He must know something we don't.

When Aussies were no match in the scrum
Nov 2005, Twickenham
Andrew Sheridan proved a world-class loosehead by almost single-handedly destroying the Australian scrum in 26-16 win. Neither of his opponents, Al Baxter or Matt Dunning, finished the match.
Oct 2007, Marseille
Sheridan produced another wrecking-ball exercise during England’s 12-10 World Cup win. Aussie tighthead Guy Shepherdson has not played a Test since.
June 2010, Sydney
England won their first Test in the southern hemisphere since the 2003 World Cup, 21-20, dominating every scrum, with prop Dan Cole coming of age.
The only thing worse than losing to the Poms, is losing while the scrum is getting dominated.

Fatcat better scrum like his career depends on it, with his lack of impact in the loose lately he needs to repay the faith.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would appear that Digby Ioane and Tatafu Polota-Nau must have had a very nasty head clash at training this week. Neither should be allowed to take the field without undergoing the most thorough neurological examination.

Digby's rantings:

“They are pretty wingers, they are really good looking and I just can’t wait to go against them.
"They beat us in the last game by heaps. It should be good for revenge.
“The winger’s dream is to score a try but my focus is on making hit-ups on Saturday.It gets the boys that extra momentum to keep going forward and the more times you break the line it is better for the team. I never give up and my job is just to get really stuck in.
“I try to beat everyone on hit-ups and like to get past 10 every match. But they have to be good ones, not just two metres.
“We are confident we can dominate the English scrum."

The kid's obviously delerious. As for Tatafu:

“Against England we want to make sure that we don’t even let them have a glance of getting into the game.
“The collision is one area that we want to dominate."

After last week's dicking the alternative hypothesis is that someone's been handing around the wacky baccy.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd rather not, Was counting on Poey at least coming back on the bench and Douglas was one of about three you'd feed after the weekend's debacle.

Not looking forward to Saturday, I think it's gonna be the first Tests in a long time I don't watch live.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I am going to label Adam Ashley-Cooper as the myth of this Australian team. He seems almost untouchable, despite poor performances at both Wallaby and Super level.

There was once instance on the weekend where he tracked back to take a kick, with 2-3 chasers in front of him. He looked to his left to see an unmarked Harris, and further an unmarked Cummins. Rather than pass the ball he decided to take it into contact where he was outnumbered, and we were lucky to retain possession. He turned a likely 20m running gain (through Harris and Cummins) to a risk of losing the ball and being under pressure by France being able to break away.

This is happening way too much. All evidence points to him being a selfish player, and we can not afford selfish players if we are to improve our team performance. I say drop him immediately until he proves he can play the team game.

PS He also had 7 runs for 35m. Pretty low average for a winger.

I would posit that his low stats are due to a rather fucking terrible shortage of pill for anyone wearing a jersey number > 12. I would agree with you though about that isolated instance where he should have thrown it to Harris, indeed I was yelling manically at my TV for him to do so.

BUT, I wholeheartedly disagree with you about him performing poorly at super rugby and Test level consistently. In fact I think that he has been by and large one of the better performing backs in a season of poor performances by backs (and consistently good for 3-4 years now). He seems to be our best at picking holes/angles to run and he is an excellent defender (particularly from 13), can kick the seed a fair way and is goodish under the high ball.

See the following
In short, he is indispensably solid but with enough X-factor to make him a consistent team selection.

He should be starting, and now that diggers is healthy, he should be starting at 13 with Mccabe and taps competing for the 12 spot (though I personally think in a backline without cooper, having the noted excellent short passing of tapuai right next to the 10 makes more sense, McCabes best spot is 13).

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Pocock has broken down send him home, There is no use risking a long term injury for Wales & Italy.

12 tries in 12 games is so depressing no wonder AFL & League dominate the TV ratings.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd rather not, Was counting on Poey at least coming back on the bench and Douglas was one of about three you'd feed after the weekend's debacle.

Not looking forward to Saturday, I think it's gonna be the first Tests in a long time I don't watch live.

I hear what your saying but I'll still have to watch it live. I have a feeling it will be like 2005 when we jumped out the blocks but then ran out of steam. Hopefully Deans like Jones also get's the flick.

Status
Not open for further replies.