• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Run-on Team
1. Slipper (VC)
2. Charles (If TPN out)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (C)
8. Palu
9. White
10. Foley
11/14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (VC), Horne
12.To'omua
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau
Bench
Hansen
Alexander
Sio
Phipps
Skelton
Beale
???
???

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think To'omua will keep Beale out of the 12 jersey. He hasn't done anything wrong but Beale has been electric lately.

Hanson a good chance at Hooker too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon there is no chance TPN will play in the first two Bledisloes. We should find out more today, but even a minor medial strain will see him gone for a few weeks.

I think the team will remain largely the same as the French series. Carter and Simmons should start and the bench is a toss up between Horwill and Skelton.

Beale and Phipps will still be on the bench but they'll be within a hair's breadth of starting. Both are in electric form.

I think Kuridrani will stay at 13 for now because we're short on wingers but McKenzie must be wondering whether that's the right option, particularly as the arrival of Speight will mean there is less need for wingers. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a 90 odd test Wallaby and has arguably never played better. That's a pretty compelling argument to play him at 13.

Horne has surely earned a starting spot on the wing. His ball running is strong and his defence is brutal and so reliable.

Benn Robinson is becoming more and more unlucky to miss the squad in my opinion. He's played big games and big matches at the end of the season and his experience shouldn't be underrated. You'd figure any injuries in the front row will see him join the squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So, what's the better 11/13/14 combination: Horne/Kuridrani/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Tomane? Spose it comes down to who's the better rugby player, Kuridrani or Tomane. If Tomane's selected that results in two players running on in their preferred positions rather than one.

Who'd be a selector.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Run-on Team
1. Slipper (VC)
2. Charles (If TPN out)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (C)
8. Palu
9. White
10. Foley
11/14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (VC), Horne Tomane (I think we need more pace - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Horne is too slow for test match rugby, Horne plays centre a lot for the Tahs to defend for Beale, Beale ain't there for the Wobs to be protected, I would prefer someone with more pace and effectiveness under the high ball)
12.To'omua
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau
Bench
Hansen
Alexander
Sio
Skelton Howill
Higgers
Phipps
Beale
McCabe

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Apart from a worrying injury to TPN, the selectors have got good dilemmas almost across the park. I would stay largely with the XV that beat the French 3-0, because they got the job done and consistency in selection is key in my view. I don't believe many (or even any) of them have had a significant drop off in form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be highly surprised if McCalman isn't still ahead of Higginbotham.

I think the least surprising change for the first Bledisloe would be Phipps starting ahead of White. I expect White will start but that change wouldn't be surprising at all in my mind.

Assuming Speight is fit and ready to play on September 13 I reckon Kuridrani has three tests to convince Link that he's a better option in the starting team than Horne/Tomane/McCabe are on the wing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bench
Hansen
Alexander
Sio
Skelton Howill
Higgers
Phipps
Beale
McCabe

I think you have nailed the starting lineup for at least the first test. On the bench, though, I think Ben McCalman will replace Higgers and Horne will replace McCabe, though personally I'd go with Higgers and either McCabe or Horne.

Could be changes to the starting group if the first test doesn't result in a win, and I think Skelton will be considered for tests other than against the ABs.

T

Train Without a Station

Beale cannot be a starting option at 12. His defence is nowhere near strong enough for a position that requires strong defence.

More importantly the defensive hiding isn't an option that should be explored at test level. You do it at Super Rugby level because the player brings a greater counter attacking option than you have in your squad (Think Cooper for Jono Lance and Beale for Horne). In your test squad you don't have these limited attacking players who are strong defenders.

I'd argue even if To'omua was injured, you bring in McCabe at 12.

I don't think the Super rugby final solved the Skelton vs Horwill for the bench option argument at all. Skelton didn't show in the final that he definitely brought the extra physicality and impact needed against a strong NZ line up to make up for his set piece weakness, but he didn't show that he didn't either.

I do wonder if perhaps it will be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and McCabe on the wings for the first test though.

I do think Hanson is a better hooker than Charles too. Guess it will come down to whether Link gives Charles the benefit of his good form with Hanson coming back from injury this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'll be surprised if Horne isn't given first crack at 11 ahead of Tomane and McCabe.

I think his form at the back end of the season has been excellent and the two Brumbies players chances can't have improved by being left on the bench at the back end of the season.

T

Train Without a Station

You make a good point. Personally I think McCabe has shown this year he is a better footballer than Horne.

That being said, I thought Horne was good on Saturday night and wouldn't be worried to see him preferred.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1 Slipper
2 Charles
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Carter - EDIT. Fuck I just do that out of habit for some reason...
6 Fardy
7 Hooper (c)
8 Palu
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Horne
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

16 Hanson
17 Sio
18 Alexander
19 Skelton
20 McCalman
21 White
22 Beale
23 Tomane

Though fuck Betham would have to be close based on his comeback last night.

T

Train Without a Station

I think that teams is pretty close Pfitz. Do think Link may opt for Hanson over Charles and Carter will likely start at lock though. Whether that drops Skelton or Horwill out is a tough one to call.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think that teams is pretty close Pfitz. Do think Link may opt for Hanson over Charles and Carter will likely start at lock though. Whether that drops Skelton or Horwill out is a tough one to call.

Yeah my bad. I started to write Carter in 4, then remembered Simmons is usually there, then by trained instinct put Horwill there! :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1 Slipper
2 Charles
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Horwill
6 Fardy
7 Hooper (c)
8 Palu
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Horne
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

16 Hanson
17 Sio
18 Alexander
19 Skelton
20 McCalman
21 White
22 Beale
23 Tomane

Though fuck Betham would have to be close based on his comeback last night.

Jeez - no Carter. Would have thought Simmons and Carter were absolute, lay down certainties for run-on with the only question being whether Skelton or Horwill being on the pine.

White is the incumbant - played OK in whitewashed French series. Phipps has gone well since but reckon White will start.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
White / Phipps - a bit meh for me, as I think both have their strengths and weaknesses and between them, we'll do alright.
Can't see Beale displacing To'omua, despite his recent play (Beale, I mean).
The only real point of interest for me is the locking combo.
Conservative = Simmons / Carter with Horwill on bench
Slightly Out There = Skelton on bench instead.
Way Out There = Skelton starting
Personally, I think we'll probably see Option 1, but a small side wager on Option 2 might be smart!

T

Train Without a Station

Cyclo surely we'll see both options 1 and 2 in the rugby championship. Wouldn't surprise me if all 4 start at some point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of all the bench players from the French series, I think Phipps has the best chance to start because of how good his form has been and how much he stepped up in the finals. He's shown himself to be a big game player.

I still expect White will start because the Wallabies have won 7 in a row and coming off the back of the French series, Link will be looking to keep that consistency in his selections.

That said, a couple of small changes based on excellent form sends a great message to the whole squad that players who really perform will be rewarded at the selection table.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why would Link go Hanson over Charles he had Charles in front of Hanson in the mid year tests only bringing in Hanson when Moore went down and when he was at the Reds played Saia before Hanson..........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if Phipps started. He has built and built as the season has gone on and is a much better player now than he was. I think Carter should start with Simmons at lock. He was outstanding in his debut and in his two finals games for the Brumbies was no less good. The rest of the team almost picks itself. No way KB (Kurtley Beale) is starting over Foley, To'omua or Izzy, because all of those guys have been excellent this season. He makes a red hot late game substitute though.

Status
Not open for further replies.