• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed with the rule to keep the Bledisloe trophy all you have to do is win one and draw one.

Bit unfair if we actually do end up winning in Brisbane. That would mean we both won one, drew one, and lost one. It should at least come down to point difference.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed with the rule to keep the Bledisloe trophy all you have to do is win one and draw one.

Bit unfair if we actually do end up winning in Brisbane. That would mean we both won one, drew one, and lost one. It should at least come down to point difference.

I think it's fine.

I think it would be pretty lame for the Bledisloe Cup to be able to be decided on points difference.

A clear series winner is far fairer.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's fine.

I think it would be pretty lame for the Bledisloe Cup to be able to be decided on points difference.

A clear series winner is far fairer.

Yeah your probably right. Apart from that one year where we had 4 Bledisloe games.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

What is annoying (to me) is that the challengers gets two home games.
It should be two home games to the holders each year, and one to the challenger. Not switched each year. Or one game each, meaning the challenger must win away and home.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is annoying (to me) is that the challengers gets two home games.
It should be two home games to the holders each year, and one to the challenger. Not switched each year. Or one game each, meaning the challenger must win away and home.
The games are too important to the bottom lines of both unions to screw with the scheduling

T

Train Without a Station

Well FrankLind that's a commercial reality that must be accepted unfortunately.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I just watched the game again and the good news is that although we were comprehensively outplayed the points difference wasn't a reflection of the difference between the 2 sides:

- first try was the penalty try - not only did the field position eventuate due to Simmons' yellow card, I struggled to find an offence there at all, let alone a cardable one..Berry should have been sin binned, not Simmons. But he was off and I think Link should have made the call to take Fardy off and bring Skelton on given we had just been rolled at the previous scrum on our feed.
- second try resulted from turnover ball after a clear head high on Folau that somehow escaped even a warning..penalty to us in range and no try to Savea.
- the ABs opened the 2nd half with 3 tries, the first a legit counter attack, the next 2 to Sir Ritchie from rolling mauls off lineout wins
- we responded with 2 good tries.
- Folau should have then scored again, but Barrett (despite suggestions he ran him down) was coming from the angle and had less ground to cover, good tackle..still Izzy should have bumped him
- the last try to Luatua shouldn't have been, was laziness on our part, as the commentators alluded to our boys expected the ABs to kick it out to end the game..play the whistle!!!

Not making excuses, as I said we were comprehensively outplayed but it was one of those games where a lot went right for one team and not much for the other.

And despite his defensive woes, Beale actually had a pretty good attacking game, he put guys into holes on 3 of 4 occasions that no other player would have been able to and he kicked well. I'm not making a case to keep him there, but some have been over-critical of him.

T

Train Without a Station

Simmons lifted the leg. Whilst only briefly he did lift it and that cannot be disputed. The card was harsh call. It would have been a soft penalty, but he gave the opportunity to be penalized with his actions.

The card was for "Dangerous Play". Considering he seems to grab the leg, realize what he is doing and immediately let go again, that's my only gripe. As there was zero intent or negligence in the action I don't agree with that.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I just watched the game again and the good news is that although we were comprehensively outplayed the points difference wasn't a reflection of the difference between the 2 sides:

- first try was the penalty try - not only did the field position eventuate due to Simmons' yellow card, I struggled to find an offence there at all, let alone a cardable one..Berry should have been sin binned, not Simmons. But he was off and I think Link should have made the call to take Fardy off and bring Skelton on given we had just been rolled at the previous scrum on our feed.
- second try resulted from turnover ball after a clear head high on Folau that somehow escaped even a warning..penalty to us in range and no try to Savea.
- the ABs opened the 2nd half with 3 tries, the first a legit counter attack, the next 2 to Sir Ritchie from rolling mauls off lineout wins
- we responded with 2 good tries.
- Folau should have then scored again, but Barrett (despite suggestions he ran him down) was coming from the angle and had less ground to cover, good tackle..still Izzy should have bumped him
- the last try to Luatua shouldn't have been, was laziness on our part, as the commentators alluded to our boys expected the ABs to kick it out to end the game..play the whistle!!!

Not making excuses, as I said we were comprehensively outplayed but it was one of those games where a lot went right for one team and not much for the other.

And despite his defensive woes, Beale actually had a pretty good attacking game, he put guys into holes on 3 of 4 occasions that no other player would have been able to and he kicked well. I'm not making a case to keep him there, but some have been over-critical of him.

Ah...the power of positive thinking.:)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Not as unfair as the home-and-away years when you needed a win & at least a draw to take it off the holder. Out of interest, what happens next year? I've read that the 4N won't be a double round-robin so does that mean just the one Bled at Eden Park?

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sure it's 2 Bledisloes as we normally have 3 in a typical year and a 3 round TRC allows for it as previously it was a 4 round 3N.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just seen Wobs squad for Perth & see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is listed as Back-Three. WTF is wrong with you people? Surely he's in the top-4 or -5 centres in the world right now esp with JdeV out've sorts. Can't see how he's more effective for you at 14 than 13.

I know you're short on wingers but if you've gotta convert a 13 why not Kuridrani?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just seen Wobs squad for Perth & see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is listed as Back-Three. WTF is wrong with you people? Surely he's in the top-4 or -5 centres in the world right now esp with JdeV out've sorts. Can't see how he's more effective for you at 14 than 13.

I know you're short on wingers but if you've gotta convert a 13 why not Kuridrani?

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been listed as a back 3 in all the squad announcements this year even before he ended up playing 13 in the two Bledisloes.

Status
Not open for further replies.