• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just seen Wobs squad for Perth & see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is listed as Back-Three. WTF is wrong with you people? Surely he's in the top-4 or -5 centres in the world right now esp with JdeV out've sorts. Can't see how he's more effective for you at 14 than 13.

I know you're short on wingers but if you've gotta convert a 13 why not Kuridrani?

Its not about "converting". Its about covering for injuries. There's a difference. Kuridrani only plays 13 and would be a bit slow on the wing, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has a load of experience on the wing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most interesting thing to me is that Speight hasn't been named in the squad for these two tests. I would have expected him to be just about healthy now and it would seem unlikely that he's going to debut when possible on September 13 against Argentina unless there are injuries.

Edit: an SMH article does say he's struggling to recover from a hamstring injury so perhaps the initial four weeks has been blown out.

Only having four props in the squad is also unusual. I guess it provides flexibility of calling up whoever Link wants if there is an injury.

Maybe he'll consider adding someone after the next NRC game.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Back three - here is one area where we can potentially outperform NZ..it didn't happen in the last 2 games because we didn't have proper wingers, but a back 3 of Folau, Speight and Cummins (if he comes back) or JOC (James O'Connor) is better than the AB's. There's also AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) if required there, Horne & Beale as cover, and Tomane & Betham as new kids on the block. Don't tell me there's no improvement/development coming in this area.
That's my piece..

Thought most of this post was good except for this part. ABs have the following to call on:

B Smith
J Savea
C Jane
C Piatau
I Dagg
Frank Halai
Lolagi Visinia
Tim Nanai-Williams
Andre Taylor
George Moala

which I think would match up pretty squarely with any of the names you've thrown out there.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thought most of this post was good except for this part. ABs have the following to call on:

B Smith
J Savea
C Jane
C Piatau
I Dagg
Frank Halai
Lolagi Visinia
Tim Nanai-Williams
Andre Taylor
George Moala

which I think would match up pretty squarely with any of the names you've thrown out there.

Not as much depth if an injury happens but I agree a back-three of Spreight, Falou, JOC (James O'Connor) could hold their own with all the names you listed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

B Smith
J Savea
C Jane
C Piatau
I Dagg
Frank Halai
Lolagi Visinia
Tim Nanai-Williams
Andre Taylor
George Moala

How many centres are we allowed to name as back three options? ;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
note, I only said 'potentially outperform'..so I agree, yours could match up pretty squarely..depends which 3 v which 3 :)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
note, I only said 'potentially outperform'..so I agree, yours could match up pretty squarely :)

:) I don't want to seem arrogant or over-confident so I picked my words carefully :)

If JOC (James O'Connor) comes back, he would be great for your winger stocks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
:) I don't want to seem arrogant or over-confident so I picked my words carefully :)

If JOC (James O'Connor) comes back, he would be great for your winger stocks.

mail is he is going to be announced as coming to the Reds at their dinner on Friday night and will be beamed in

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You don't think Link is looking to blood our 7th string hooker just in case?

Alex MAFI, Nudgee College has just withdrawn from the Aust Schoolboys squad due to injury.
Apparently they are now anxiously waiting around the phone in the CRAIG (new Schoolboys starting hooker) Household in case Link decides to go to a double digits string Hooker for his squad. :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been listed as a back 3 in all the squad announcements this year even before he ended up playing 13 in the two Bledisloes.

As you were then. I know it's none of my business, being a dumb-arse kiwi & all, but it shits me seeing a class & potentially great player used as gap filler.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As you were then. I know it's none of my business, being a dumb-arse kiwi & all, but it shits me seeing a class & potentially great player used as gap filler.

Story of his career unfortunately. Deans should have locked him in as a 13 from day 1. Instead shifted around to 15, wing, even to 12 at one stage.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

We went thru a couple of RWCs trying to convince ourselves that FBs could play center and wings play FB and so-on and so-on - maybe Link should give John Hart a call.....

T

Train Without a Station

The thing about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is he's the outside centre Australia deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll pick him on the wing him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our outside centre. He's a utility back. A Mr Fix It. Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Ben Smith says hi.

Honestly, it's just goes to show how good some players are if they're able to naturally slot into multiple positions like that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hugh Roach was pretty decent in the first round of the NRC. ;)

Wouldn't that cause a stir in the threads. Plays and looks (in body shape) like Michael Hooper. Too small; too lightweight; runs like a back; doesn't make ten pilfers per game. ;) Too small for a hooker, should play 7. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.