• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
didn't someone say Dan Palmer's back?

Mention of Palmer ATM is a joke, same as Pocock ATM. Pocock is/was a champion and it will be interesting to see the bloke get back to his best and without injury. Then the debate between whether to chose him or Hooper can really get some legs.

Palmer, I think hsas played 1 test match (against Scotland). His reputation for work around the field is as a "potplant". To consider him above Kepu and even Alexander is just laughable. Come back Dan, play a year or 2, perform well at scrumtime AND around the field and then I would review the choices.

Players chosen, are the best we have, given the rules.

Go the Wallabies

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well KOB I am bored as batshit waiting for Saturday. Throw a few more lines in the water and I'll see if they are worth a bite Haha

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ulrich:

Great post.

Marcel deserves the call up but in the past when he was required to play a ball carrying blindside role he struggled. He bent the Argie line in Salta but it remains to be seen if he can be effective when the opposition is fresh.

I still can't believe Potgieter has not been called in as a like for like replacement for Alberts but I think his little dig at the Bulls a couple of months back has burnt some bridges. It is confusing as Meyer rates him.

I feel for Oupa Mohoje. Is he the next Chilliboy? There he is as a real blinside with ball carrying abilities, only to be leapfrogged by two guys, neither who are blindsides? What sort of message is that sending?

PS. Kolisi was sensational in this past week's Currie Cup. Really looked back top last year's form.

I am just happy that the De Allende at 13 fruit loop idea has been shelved for now.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here's an interesting thought.

If the Wallabies manage to get ascendancy or parity in the scrums and if your forwards deliver a good performance doing their core duties across the park in securing and retaining ball then Genia starts to look like a really good option at 9 again.

It's been a while since he's had a pack that makes his life easier.

On a contrary note. I have been extremely critical like most of Pienaar in the past, although I always understood why he was picked above others in Heyneke's tenure when du Preez was not available. With his pack going backwards I think he did a decent job of late.

Always wanted to like him and even if that never happens I'm at least happy for him that the teams he has been playing for have allowed him to settle in the position he prefers.

I am concerned about #13 in this series. Even if we had de Jongh, we don't really have much else than that when Jacques Fourie is not available.

JJ Engelbrecht, Damien de Allende, JP Pietersen and Jan Serfontein are not traditionally 13s and I find it strange that no player with the exception of maybe Paul Jordaan has stepped up there locally. If I'm not mistaken Jaco Taute has also been trialled at 13 for the Boks which just shows how shoddy our depth is in this position.

T

Train Without a Station

Do you consider Pietersen a decent option at 13? He has looked good for the Shorks at times when playing there.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ulrich:

Great post.

Marcel deserves the call up but in the past when he was required to play a ball carrying blindside role he struggled. He bent the Argie line in Salta but it remains to be seen if he can be effective when the opposition is fresh.

I still can't believe Potgieter has not been called in as a like for like replacement for Alberts but I think his little dig at the Bulls a couple of months back has burnt some bridges. It is confusing as Meyer rates him.

I feel for Oupa Mohoje. Is he the next Chilliboy? There he is as a real blinside with ball carrying abilities, only to be leapfrogged by two guys, neither who are blindsides? What sort of message is that sending?

PS. Kolisi was sensational in this past week's Currie Cup. Really looked back top last year's form.

I am just happy that the De Allende at 13 fruit loop idea has been shelved for now.
Hey Blue, thanks.

I think Marcel is maturing. I liked him very much in the very beginning and then started disliking him. He is finally becoming someone I think and we'll probably hear a lot more of him in the future.

The only reason I can personally think of for Heyneke not including Potgieter is his current affiliation with an Australian team. What Potgieter actually said and what the headline of the article inferred were two different things a while ago. Potgieter merely stated he enjoyed playing a different brand of rugby at the Waratahs and never even made mention of much else.

If I were asked "Give me one reason NOT to include Potgieter" I would probably go with:

If called up his involvement with an Australian Super Rugby franchise may prompt others to leave our shores which is ultimately more detrimental to our game than players plying their trade in Europe while at the same time it's (arguably) beneficial to Australia. Especially given Australia would love some of our forward chunks of meat.

I feel for Oupa, he did not disappoint in the limited opportunities he has been given and I'd really like for him to get more chances.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do you consider Pietersen a decent option at 13? He has looked good for the Shorks at times when playing there.
I think he is OK, he is just about good enough for international rugby when fit and playing well at 13.

As any fan however I'd like him to be in contention for the best along with C Smith etc. Particularly as a Springbok fan it's tough not having an established 13, let alone not having one in contention for being amongst the best.

I can live with M. Steyn being a solid metronomic kicker. Many teams would love that and he'd probably make most teams despite his lack of other skills. I have come to respect the man for what he brings to the table.

He was called up in 2012 for the Boks merely to sit on the sidelines and rest while getting his mind straight and regaining his hunger for the game. Heyneke should think of affording Jannie the same opportunity.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You know who the Wallabies should play?

Dan Palmer.

I think I read on a French news website that he had thrown lineouts for a few games after Hooker Christophe Perrier got "sacked" from throwing in.

He is back in Canberra apparently. All the more reason to fly him over to Perth on the first available flight.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is Kearns commentating this one? Tell him to get a scrum session in case someone goes down in the pre-match warmup.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Hey Blue, thanks.

I think Marcel is maturing. I liked him very much in the very beginning and then started disliking him. He is finally becoming someone I think and we'll probably hear a lot more of him in the future.

The only reason I can personally think of for Heyneke not including Potgieter is his current affiliation with an Australian team. What Potgieter actually said and what the headline of the article inferred were two different things a while ago. Potgieter merely stated he enjoyed playing a different brand of rugby at the Waratahs and never even made mention of much else.

If I were asked "Give me one reason NOT to include Potgieter" I would probably go with:

If called up his involvement with an Australian Super Rugby franchise may prompt others to leave our shores which is ultimately more detrimental to our game than players plying their trade in Europe while at the same time it's (arguably) beneficial to Australia. Especially given Australia would love some of our forward chunks of meat.

I feel for Oupa, he did not disappoint in the limited opportunities he has been given and I'd really like for him to get more chances.

I cannot see why playing Potgieter is any different to playing M Steyn or any other NH based bok.

You may have missed it but Potgieter was quoted in the media here, reacting rather sarcastically to the Bulls suggesting that he "didn't know what he had until he missed it." He looked a bit pissed off and I am sure the footage made it back to Pretoria.

If anything, Potgieter's inclusion will give the Boks some knowledge.

I donut think an exodus to Aus is on the cards. They room is very limited with one marquee player and even with that in mind not many will fork out the money to pay a first choice bok player.

I think there is some spite involved here because I can't see any other logical reasoning.

T

Train Without a Station

Surely Potgeiter playing Super Rugby is a better option that Juan Smith playing Top 14? I am a huge Smith fan but you don't know where he stands in the pecking order based on those performances.

Is Potgeiter actually available or does his Japanese contract have no release clause for test duty?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I am concerned about #13 in this series. Even if we had de Jongh, we don't really have much else than that when Jacques Fourie is not available.

JJ Engelbrecht, Damien de Allende, JP Pietersen and Jan Serfontein are not traditionally 13s and I find it strange that no player with the exception of maybe Paul Jordaan has stepped up there locally. If I'm not mistaken Jaco Taute has also been trialled at 13 for the Boks which just shows how shoddy our depth is in this position.

Meyer seems hell bent on not playing a 13 at 13. All the players you mention except Foutie of course are not natural 13's

Meyer places more value in a big guy at 13 than he does someone who is skilled in the position.

I thought Taute was the worst decision he ever made. Then he surprised me and picked De Allende at 13.

Jordaan was in great form last year until he got injured. But he is too small for Meyer.

I think not giving de Jongh a real chance and playing guys like JJ Engelbrecht ahead of him is pretty stupid.

JJ got loads of game time and did nothing. Juan gets a few cameos and then dropped.

I'll take the stupid back. It's idiotic and perplexing.

At least Serfontein has the skills set but he needs to now give him time. Of all these names he is the best equipped to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.