• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Regarding Potgieter.

I think his popularity in Sydney is a little out of proportion with his actual contribution. His all action style of smashing into people looks great, bu doesn't achieve that much. He has also been playing lock and at 1.95 he is simply too small to do that job at international level. If we want to go for the big, aggressive and crazy blindside we should rather be looking at Micheal Rhodes, Rynard Elstadt or Jacques Du Plessis. We are really blessed with these types of loosies..

We will agree to completely disagree.

His tackle count and ball carrying was a key ingredient. The flying into people was added value and entertainment but if you only saw that I think you didn't really pay much attention.

Rhodes. Is he a lock or a blindside? Can he stay on the park for a whole game? He will either break or get sent off.

Elstad. Too slow and ditto. Too much brain explosion. A very poor man's Alberts on one leg. Full of bravado. Usually off the ball. No thanks.

Du Plessis. Runs so upright he almost runs backwards. Looks like a lock playing blindside. Has potential but better than Jacques Pottie? Are you serious?

I would have PS du Toit at blind side months ahead of any of these three.

You name three guys who have been "adequate" at Super level.

Without going into detail I know how Cheika summed up Potgieter's contribution in a private conversation. The Super Rugby winning coach must know shit I guess. The Bulls REALLY tried to get Jacques back. They must also know shit.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Found them.

The Rugby Championship

Australia vs South Africa at Patersons Stadium, Perth
Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Glen Jackson (New Zealand), Mike Fraser (New Zealand)
Television match official: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)
Assessor: Andrew Cole

New Zealand vs Argentina at Mclean Park, Napier
Referee: Pascal Gauzère (France)
Assistant referees: Jérôme Garcès (France), Rohan Hoffmann (Australia)
Television match official: Peter Marshall (Australia)
Assessor: Lyndon Bray

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
WThe Bulls REALLY tried to get Jacques back. They must also know shit.

Have you seen their recruits over the last five or so years? I will happily say that they don't know shit.

Ps. agree about Du Plessis being a lock. Think he could be fantastic number four with Etzebeth at five and PS Du Toit on the blindside.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Have you seen their recruits over the last five or so years? I will happily say that they don't know shit.

Ps. agree about Du Plessis being a lock. Think he could be fantastic number four with Etzebeth at five and PS Du Toit on the blindside.
Their problems have been injuries more than recruits.

Who have been bad recruits in your view?

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Their problems have been injuries more than recruits.

Who have been bad recruits in your view?

Full list here.

On a more serious note, I probably need one of PBs list of schoolboy recruits and can simply cross of the ones that were not a failure.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Full list here.

On a more serious note, I probably need one of PBs list of schoolboy recruits and can simply cross of the ones that were not a failure.
Yep the Bulls recruit to many and will rather waiste talent then let them get to other provinces. Christopher Bosch the perfect example, one hell of a talent when at school and now playing for Boland.

WP have contracted smart for this year u19s and look like the same for next year. Look like they learn the Pollard lesson.

Anyways no player better then Jaco Kriel if you want a bal carrier. I also would love to know what Marnus Schoeman have to do, to get a call up. Nizaam Carr is also in good form at this very moment.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looks like you might get your wish with Potgieter. He's likely to be picked for the home tests against Australia and NZ.

Waratahs recruit Jacques Potgieter is in line for a shock Springboks call-up

HE became an honorary Australian by starring for the Waratahs in their Super Rugby triumph but Jacques Potgieter is set to go from teammate to fierce Test rival with a recall to the Springboks later this month.

The wildman flanker, who became a cult hero for NSW, is a favourite of Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer and News Corporation understands Potgieter will be drafted into the South African squad for home games against Australia and New Zealand.

Potgieter is currently playing in Japan for the Fukuoka Sanix Blues but recently returned to South Africa on holidays and spoke with Meyer at the Boks’ first Test win over Argentina at Loftus Versfeld.

Contacted last night in Japan, Potgieter said he was ready for an international recall after a year under Michael Cheika and said it would be a huge honour to play against his new “brothers” from the Waratahs in a Test match.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...pringboks-callup/story-fnp0m104-1227047995032

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think I read on a French news website that he had thrown lineouts for a few games after Hooker Christophe Perrier got "sacked" from throwing in.

He is back in Canberra apparently. All the more reason to fly him over to Perth on the first available flight.

Isn't he retired?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Full list here.

On an even more serious note who has failed that the Bulls have recruited? Serious question. I haven't followed the recruitment much of late.

Or who did they recruit that they should be using and aren't?

Try be more specific than the standard lazy Stomp reply through a cloud of mountain goat weed. :)

I know Oom has been pissed off about some young'uns the Bulls stole from the mountain but have there been many of late?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some players are awesome at one level of footy but really struggle at the next level (regardless of what level of footy that might be). Perhaps JacPot is one of them. His enthusiasm has certainly been infectious for the Tahs this year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Should be an excellent test with both sides under pressure.
Clancy reffing? The scrums will be interesting. Both sides will be looking to assert themselves early and set the tone for the ref.
Wallabies wil play fast multi-phase if the weather permits. Boks will look to dominate at the breakdown and in set piece. Steyn to have a say in the territory stakes.
Bring it!
Wallaby pack to respond well and match up.

M

Moono75

Green suits him better. :)

Well it hasn't really. His couple of performances in Green were awful but it was quite some time ago.

Pots had to come to Australia to learn how to play right.

Status
Not open for further replies.