• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yeah I wasn't entirely happy with my choice of words there! Point being that he can train at 100% though so won't lose any fitness..

I don't think it matters that he missed a large part of 2013, he has been pretty much injury free this year..I get your point though, he's hard to select around if you have him first choice so maybe he will be a benchie by RWC, wouldn't be such a bad thing..

T

Train Without a Station

I think you've just shown how injury prone Palu (unfortunately) is. He will miss a minimum of 4 tests out of the first 10. In addition he missed at least 2 games through injury (I'm aware some were for personal issues). That is a good year for Palu, but most players would consider a year when they miss 6 or more games from injury to be injury affected.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you've just shown how injury prone Palu (unfortunately) is. He will miss a minimum of 4 tests out of the first 10. In addition he missed at least 2 games through injury (I'm aware some were for personal issues). That is a good year for Palu, but most players would consider a year when they miss 6 or more games from injury to be injury affected.

That's part of our problem in terms of the 8 jersey though. Despite many injury layoffs in his career, Palu keeps making himself the obvious choice at number 8 whenever he is healthy for a while.

Higginbotham, McCalman, and Mowen have all had reasonable cracks at the position but none of them have pushed themselves ahead of the frequently injured Palu.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well McCalman is now going to have his best chance ever of making the 8 jersey his own..Fardy will probably now keep his spot too although still many pundits calling for Higgers to start I notice..

T

Train Without a Station

In my view at least, I don't think we can any longer consider Palu as our first choice 8 when deciding our back row balance and ultimately what our best options at 6 and 7 are. He may be our best option, but we cannot base our selections in other positions on him being there, because there's close to a 50% chance he won't.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we were making changes based on balance then I might agree but currently our 6 and 7 are pretty locked in, particularly Hooper.

Unless there was a willingness to select a different 6 depending on who was at 8, it probably isn't really worth considering that the pecking order might change due to Palu being unavailable at times.

Now Link may decide it's going to take more than just being healthy for Palu to push his way back into the starting side but that is uncertain at this stage.

T

Train Without a Station

Could be worse. he could be Will Skelton. He's not selected for 2 games and people are already calling for Caydern Neville to be the 4th lock in the squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On Skelton's performance against the Rams on Saturday I wouldn't rate him in the top 10 Oz second-rowers. Time to get Jones and Neville on the program.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
and McCalman does play a similar style of game to Palu so you could potentially have Palu as first choice 8 and BMac as your second and not lose that balance regardless of which one is playing..which in part probably explains why BMac leapfrogged Higgers last week..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's it. I'm done with Palu. Too damn injury prone. His past injuries are now making current ones a greater risk.

If he's gone for the better part of the remainder of the year and then if he is questionable at the RWC next year (as in he suffers more injuries next year in the run up to the RWC) where do we go for a No 8 who can bring some toughness to the game? Ben McCalman played very well against the Argies, but while they have a massive scrum, they are not the ABs, Saffas or Poms in open play. I have concerns if he is our best option against those teams. Higgers brings an element of toughness in his running game but as many too often lament he tends to go missing in close.

ATM the form No 8 seems to be Hoiles and in the short term he could be our best option at test level. Luke Jones could also be tried but think he is probably better at 6. Any chance of either Lopeti Timani or Cottrill being up to standard by the RWC? They seem to be the most aggressive of the newer players coming through. Would Holloway be considered? Tala Grey is showing some good form at the NRC and in SS. Could he be in the mix next year?

Unfortunately, not many like-for-like replacements for Palu if required.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
As a TSS boy, you'd expect Simmons, as well as Higgers & Slipper to relish playing in their own back yard. Surprised that Higs didn't join but oh well.

Simmons takes a leaf out of Quades book and tries to win the crowd over by. hangin in the crowd

Not trying to promote a relative, but Sam Carter was the only player to walk to the edge of the field on the eastern side, straight after the match and stayed there, signing merchandise, and posing with adults and kids, and trying on one of the 'gold top-hats', until going to the northern end, climbing the fence, signing more items and posing for more "selfies", plus having time to chat to Mr and Mrs Doug, before getting back to the presentation, just as it started!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Saia Fainga'a left the field in the NRC match, he was limping!

T

Train Without a Station

BR can't agree on Hoiles. Hardly played 8 in Super Rugby and copped a fair bit of criticism for only having a single run or something similar in the brumbies semi

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
if you are going on Super form McCalman comes up tops anyway, ahead of Palu even..did Hoiles even play 8 at all? Maybe off the bench but he took over DD at 6 once he got injured, and in any case I think he would be quite low down the pecking order as far as Wallabies selection goes..

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not against playing a guy who is currently playing 6 at 8. Hoiles is very experienced there, but whilst he had his moments, as noted by kob, he's surely down the pecking order. I'd probably have him ahead of Schatz though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That's a copout I reckon. Off Super definitely undeserving... I'd feel safer with Browning there from the reds at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That's a copout I reckon. Off Super definitely undeserving. I'd feel safer with Browning there from the reds at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only basing that on the fact that he was in the train-on squad last week and that was presumably in case Cliff couldn't tour..but I would agree with TWAS that in this instance, as a #3 back-up for the tour Hoiles would be a better option..

Status
Not open for further replies.