• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oh and BTW...

Dear Lang Park (Stadiums Queensland),

The underground drainage system for the pitch is no longer working (the Brisbane River depositing the entire Brisbane valley topsoil in 2011 might have had some impact on its serviceable life). Please tell the Roar to use Ballymore or whatever during the summer so you can dig it all up and re-lay so that all three codes can play properly again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would give Kuridrani a crack at 13 if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is crocked.

All the other options have either been tried before or are out of form.

USARugger - I think the initial decision to select JOC (James O'Connor) was because Deans thought he wouldn't lose him the game. In the past I think he's come to a decision that Cooper at 10 either wins him the game or loses him the game. The reality with JOC (James O'Connor) tonight was correct. Aside from his goalkicking he didn't fuck anything up majorly and the Wallabies should have won the game. I think that is what Deans was looking for out of him.

In a perfect world, I think To'omua would be that 10 and would have potentially been that option now if Lealiifano hadn't broken his leg last year and was already established in the team. I don't think any coach on Earth would select a debut 10/12 combo for a test like this even if they do play Super Rugby together.

Australia desperately needs that strong game manager who controls the game well, does the little things right and doesn't make big errors. To'omua is probably that guy in the next year (or sooner).

If Lealiifano is fit next week, I think the most likely option is that we will see JOC (James O'Connor) and him combining again. Beale could possibly move to 10, JOC (James O'Connor) to 14 and Folau to fullback.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Braveheart81

I agree we need a game manager desperately.

JOC (James O'Connor) made some pretty big mistakes considering he was hardly involved in the game, he had 2 or 3 passes go to ground behind the gain line and nearly get scooped by the Lions. Not to mention the times he ran straight into the teeth of the forward pack and got turned over. Fact is if Quade was out there and put on an identical performance he would have been crucified which really bothers me.

To'omua has shown time and time again he has a big match temperament while JOC (James O'Connor) has repeatedly demonstrated that he cannot mentally play the flyhalf position at this time. Why stick with what doesn't work?

We've debuted loads of players on Lions tours over the years and honestly there is no reason To'omua shouldn't be given a shot given the current state of affairs.

See where you're coming from though and also doubt Robbie will do anything different. Shame.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would give Kuridrani a crack at 13 if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is crocked.

All the other options have either been tried before or are out of form.

USARugger - I think the initial decision to select JOC (James O'Connor) was because Deans thought he wouldn't lose him the game. In the past I think he's come to a decision that Cooper at 10 either wins him the game or loses him the game. The reality with JOC (James O'Connor) tonight was correct. Aside from his goalkicking he didn't fuck anything up majorly and the Wallabies should have won the game. I think that is what Deans was looking for out of him.

In a perfect world, I think To'omua would be that 10 and would have potentially been that option now if Lealiifano hadn't broken his leg last year and was already established in the team. I don't think any coach on Earth would select a debut 10/12 combo for a test like this even if they do play Super Rugby together.

Australia desperately needs that strong game manager who controls the game well, does the little things right and doesn't make big errors. To'omua is probably that guy in the next year (or sooner).

If Lealiifano is fit next week, I think the most likely option is that we will see JOC (James O'Connor) and him combining again. Beale could possibly move to 10, JOC (James O'Connor) to 14 and Folau to fullback.

And there's no way we'll see more debutants for this next match now that the series is on the line.........

It's actually a big shame we didn't win the first match, because if we'd taken out the series next week we might've had some room for experimentation in the last test......

Thankfully the faith in the debutants in the first test has paid off, and as long as Lilo is fine we probably shouldn't see many changes.........

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A lot of poms aggrieved about Pollock's refereeing, especially his interpretation of the breakdown, on twitter o_O

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A lot of poms aggrieved about Pollock's refereeing, especially his interpretation of the breakdown, on twitter o_O

This was the first game of the series where they've really been penalised for bridging onto their forearms when trying to pilfer the ball in the ruck.

This has been penalised in Super Rugby all year but hasn't really happened in the Lions tour games so far until tonight. I thought that was the biggest difference but I also think it's a good and correct interpretation of the law and should be the way it is refereed.

I definitely think the Wallabies were very fortunate not to be penalised a couple of times when we fielded a kick and took it into contact and seemingly took an age before we cleaned out players who had rights to the ball. I can definitely understand Lions fans being upset about a couple of those occasions.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Its the same here in Ireland.......but anyone who penalises Paulie and BOD will get that - and in fairness it seems to be coming mainly from the fellas who think that Stephen Jones knows what he is talking about

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What? What?

The tweet was nearly 12 months ago FFS. He has copped a serious penalty and handled himself with maturity since then. As for his game plan - he has been the best 10 in Australian rugby this year. The Reds sit in 4th place on the table.

Beale in the meantime has assualted a bouncer, assulated his skipper, assualted another team mate and broken rehab conditions. But he is OK to play according to Robbie.. Give us a break!

To'omua has been the best 10 in Australian rugby this year. The Brumbies sit at 1st place on the table. They've also scored 415 points to the Reds 307 (and incidentally conceded 274 to the Reds 284).

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I actually don't think any Wallaby supporters can complain about the reffing. I am fairly sure that the Wallabies got more favourable calls from the ref during the game.

The fact that no-one here is blowing up at reffing decisions in a narrow loss speaks volumes.
I just put myself through the pain of the replay and if anyone can feel aggrieved at a breakdown decision I think it must be poor Benn Robinson giving away the penalty that put the lions out to 23

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I actually don't think any Wallaby supporters can complain about the reffing. I am fairly sure that the Wallabies got more favourable calls from the ref during the game.

The fact that no-one here is blowing up at reffing decisions in a narrow loss speaks volumes.

I agree.

I always thought if we were going to lose this game it would be because of our goal kicking. And that turned out to be the case. It was below par. I've never rated JOC (James O'Connor) in this department due to his inconsistency. And Kurtley, well he simply caved under pressure.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What a test! Huge effort to stay in that with the injuries.

The big concern is the attack. JOC (James O'Connor) is certainly not now, nor ever likley to be, a test 10. The backline never looked organised and his few good involvements were shifting turnover ball. The tries came from 2 pieces of individual brilliance and going forward we need a 10 that can create something and not rely on those one or 2 big individual playes.

Will Barnes play another game? That must be about his last chance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

But throughout the internet the Irish especially are arguing, against all logic and basis in the laws of the game, that O'Driscoll was hard done by when he was penalised for playing the ball off his feet.........

It's truly crazy stuff.........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The backs lost it. The forwards competed really well, up until the point that they actually won the penalty that could have won us the game. Mowen, Robinson, Horwill and Moore were immense.

I don't blame Beale for that loss. Do I think he should have been there? No. Did he play well once put on? Yes. It wasn't Beale's job to kick the goals. It wasn't Beale's job to run the backline. This leads me to my next point.

O'Connor was employed as the Australian 10 tonight. Take a moment to reflect on that. Give yourself a second, and think about what an international 10 for the Wallabies, the Australian team, should do. Organise the attack? check. Organise the backline? check. Provide structure to backline play? Check. Implement a gameplan that is discernible? Check.

In my opinion, none of the above happened. Our flyhalf was directionless, and therefore our backline suffered. Genia was too often sucked into the primary playmaker role, and it stifled our attack. When Beale came on, it seemed as if he pushed JO'C out of ten, because that is what he needed to do. JO'C was not taking any responsibility, Beale at least had the balls to take some.

So no, I will not blame Beale for this loss. I feel for him. He should not have been placed in this position.

Maybe the next game the Wallabies will execute a gameplan with players that can actually execute it. Or failing that, an actual gameplan.

Props to the Lions, well played. A deserved win.

This is exactly what I said to a few friends at the ground. Beale will be the focus of the media and idiotic supporters that don't understand who is behind the decisions.

Deans made JOC (James O'Connor) the 10 - he clearly isn't yet up for it and Beale outshone him in the playmaker role when he came on.

Deans made JOC (James O'Connor) the kicker - he was clearly average at this.

Deans chose Beale in the team (worked out well), but also instructed him to take over kicking when he came on (extreme lack of judgement knowing Beale's recent history)

Deans chose to play several players that were risky in regards to fitness - in regards to Barnes and MCCabe it bit us strongly.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Doubt a new 10 will be thrown in next week. Would like to see Ioane dropped and JOC (James O'Connor) make way for Lilo but with the injuries i expect as few changes as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.