• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Here is your original motherhood statement I referred to.
There is no need to be snippy.
Was it wilfully ignored or directly quoted?
Maybe, but I believe it is important to show string support for your players in public and then speak to them about their game in private. Deans has a record of deflecting blame onto player performances when he should be standing up and taking the heat for them. It is the sign of a poor leader.
(my response #1267)....
Whatever Deans does is wrong in your book.

Tell me exactly what he could have said, that you would not criticise?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I was somewhat disappointed to see some of the nonsense that George North involved himself in during the match - several incidents along the way.

I trust one of the Wallabies shoves that wagging finger firmly up Mr. North's fundament in the 2nd Test - and I think Mr Hooper, or Mr Folau are just the men to do it! - unless Mr. Genia gets there first.

North is good - and had a strong game, but he is not yet good enough to get away with the nonsense I saw on Saturday.

North already had that wagging finger dealt with. It was one of the digits stuck between the ball and Izzy's hand when he got held up on his next dive at the line.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Why the hell does he do it? It's like he doesnt learn the lesson after doing it half a dozen times. Horwill strikes me as a great bloke but he has a really bad habit there.

I agree - as I said earlier, he seems to be a great team man and really backs his players. Look at the way he dealt with Beale after his slip and miss.

But this sort of behaviour is unbecoming for any player, let alone the Walllaby captain. Will the message sink in only after he's been punished? What if AWJ had lost an eye?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just rewatched the match again, and have some thoughts.

Wallaby forward pack was fucking immense; better around the park, had parity at least in the lineout and in the scrum [where the Lions scrum looked dominant early on, the Wallaby scrum switched that around in the latter part of the second half, so call it equal ;) ].

The backs really let down the forwards in defence, especially when the Lions counterattacked off poor kicks. McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Diggers looked like they were nursing their injuries they rarely made an impression in defence. Losing 3 backs to injury though wouldn't have helped, I'll admit.

Chris Pollock. I sort of understand the frustration of the Lions supporters upon review, but the sort of hyperbole I've been reading from various sites and from Twitter is ridiculous. Pollock definitely favoured the attacking team over would-be pilferers but there were some discrepancies in how he adjudicated the breakdown: There were some moments in the game where a Wallaby player was isolated, say, a phase or two in counterattack, but he reffed against the Lions at the breakdown.

At the same time, he let the Wallabies get away with a hell of lot when they counter-rucked as often as they did.

But I digress, the game on second viewing was a great test match, and hopefully the forwards play as well as they did, and the backs turn up, to level the series!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Here is your original motherhood statement I referred to.
There is no need to be snippy.
Was it wilfully ignored or directly quoted?

(my response #1267)..
Whatever Deans does is wrong in your book.

Tell me exactly what he could have said, that you would not criticise?

That isn't my original post on the issue.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I was somewhat disappointed to see some of the nonsense that George North involved himself in during the match - several incidents along the way.

I trust one of the Wallabies shoves that wagging finger firmly up Mr. North's fundament in the 2nd Test - and I think Mr Hooper, or Mr Folau are just the men to do it! - unless Mr. Genia gets there first.

North is good - and had a strong game, but he is not yet good enough to get away with the nonsense I saw on Saturday.
No one is good enough to get away with the bullshit North displayed in scoring his try, completely took the gloss off of a wonderful individual effort. As Nig is fond of reminding recalcitrant players, this is not soccer!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Still a lot of strike power out there, more than enough to match the Lions. I'd like to think JOC (James O'Connor) starting at 10 is contingent on Lilo being next to him as the 2nd option at first receiver.

Tactically, it is a huge blunder imo to play a No 10 (JOC (James O'Connor)) whose performance in that position is entirely dependent on a particular occupant of the No 12 position. The No 10 especially should occupy that position entirely on ability to play that position. If Christian goes down again, or has a shocker, we can expect JOC (James O'Connor)'s contribution to again be minimal.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Tactically, it is a huge blunder imo to play a No 10 (JOC (James O'Connor)) whose performance in that position is entirely dependent on a particular occupant of the No 12 position. The No 10 especially should occupy that position entirely on ability to play that position. If Christian goes down again, or has a shocker, we can expect JOC (James O'Connor)'s contribution to again be minimal.

I agree completely, was just rubbing the crystal ball. Beale looked for better at 10 than JOC (James O'Connor) (and JOC (James O'Connor) looked equally more comfortable playing a few channels away from the breakdown).

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I just watched the replay while focussing on Phillips and that is ridiculous. He starts jogging as soon as Genia has gone past him. How was he to know there wouldn't be a dropped ball or similar that would allow him to catch up? Really poor form.

My mate just linked this video of a similar incident last year. Unbelievable. Does anybody have an actual explanation?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know its not the first test.

ABC ivew , have the 1989 Wallabies vs British Lions test at Balymore at the moment

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/sport

Was bloody good to watch, a step back in time

Brought back some memories watching that again. What ever happened to ol' Accie Niuqila. From what I remember, he never made the Wallabies again after the Lions tour. One of the most blatant poaches ever ;) Randwick legend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From Grumbles book "It's not just a bloody game" - https://books.jbhifi.com.au/media/previews/0462/4228/9781742280462/9781742280462.htm

Mark Ella's Foreward (part)
"Some years later, in 1989, I decided to make a comeback, and played for Randwick. One of my team-mates, the ageless Wallabies winger Acura Niuqila, suddenly disappeared for a family funeral and was gone for a couple of weeks. Accie kept getting picked for the first XV but never appeared. Three weeks went by, four, and still no Accie. We headed to Sydney University to play the Students, and were warming up when Sayley, who can get very emotional, went into a spiel about how it was so sad that poor old Acura wasn’t there, how we were missing him, we should try to win the game for him, and on and on and on. Suddenly, there was an eruption. Simon Poidevin had obviously had enough. He started yelling, ‘Sayley, Will you f—ing well forget about Accie? You’re driving us mad. You haven’t seen the f—er for five weeks. Forget about him!’ It certainly stirred Simon up for the game. And it remains one of my most vivid memories while playing for Randwick."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Could spark a surge in sales for Grumbles book.

Didn't know it existed. Found this quote by googling "Accie Niuqila".

There appears to be references of him coaching in the Islands, and coaching/mentoring Island teams when they visit here.

There also a reference to a court proceedings against an Acura Niuqila over an armed robbery, but I'm pretty sure that must be another person by the same name, at least I hope so.

shannon

Frank Row (1)
Ahhh yes the infamous "Australian" rugby of your fly half standing so deep and then crabbing sideways ala Giteau under Knuckles or could it be the constant recycle but make very little go forward ala Eddie Jones circa 2003-04 or I wonder if its the keep it under the jersey and tight as in what we saw under Aussie Bob...

all true but fair points but one thing that all those eras saw, even if it wasn't so evident, was a lack of fear and a play of flair. i would rather see Australia play without fear and go down trying things then , succumb to other brands of football which restrict our natural instincts. As i am only a young rugby viewer and still have a lot to learn i'll be very interested to see what style is now brought into Australian national rugby. As an avid ACT follower and supporter I've always felt that act produce better players because the harness this side of Australia rugby which is don't be afraid of your ability, yet it still takes an incredible couple of seasons to warrant a wallabies call up. In which i have always felt NSW get priority due to being less flair and more some would say "reliable" but that's never being Australia's way of being the worlds best in any sport.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Could spark a surge in sales for Grumbles book.

Didn't know it existed. Found this quote by googling "Accie Niuqila".

There appears to be references of him coaching in the Islands, and coaching/mentoring Island teams when they visit here.

There also a reference to a court proceedings against an Acura Niuqila over an armed robbery, but I'm pretty sure that must be another person by the same name, at least I hope so.
Sadly that was his son who got mixed up with the wrong crowd and did some silly things.

Status
Not open for further replies.