• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I feel like you're really nitpicking there. Your issue isn't with the overall message, but rather the fact that he wasn't completely precise in his convictions, ie: was actually responding to a question honestly, rather than spewing out a predetermined answer.

Deans had just lost the first test in incredibly trying circumstances and you're worried that he says "probably"? Kinda ridiculous in my opinion.

Maybe, but I believe it is important to show string support for your players in public and then speak to them about their game in private. Deans has a record of deflecting blame onto player performances when he should be standing up and taking the heat for them. It is the sign of a poor leader.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I read this on the review on the main page:

This is something I've seen a number of times in Super Rugby this year. With a lot of attention being given to the tackler releasing, I think there are times when guys are being tackled but just getting back up and carrying on. I always thought a tackled player had to actually release the ball and get back to his feet before playing it again? I think this law needs to be policed more.

Yeah,, the defender is supposed to immediately release, but if he does it too quickly the attacker starts crawling along the ground

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Will the sacking of Mickey Arthur send shivers down Robbie's spine?

Is it the coach's job or the manager's job to insure that the correct footwear is worn? Photos in todays Australian show Beale's studs v Halfpenny's. Not a good look!

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

Is it the coach's job or the manager's job to insure that the correct footwear is worn? Photos in todays Australian show Beale's studs v Halfpenny's. Not a good look!

Hopefully the ARU take a page out of Cricket Australia's book there ;) Although Pulver has said he will honour Deans' contract until the end of the season...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

To be quite honest Mr D, I would of thought if a player doesn't know what footwear he should have on by the time he finishes playing u7, I wouldn't think he a very bright boy.
Bet that bloody useless Deans didn't check they had their shorts on right way, or even that they had on undies!!!!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe, but I believe it is important to show string support for your players in public and then speak to them about their game in private. Deans has a record of deflecting blame onto player performances when he should be standing up and taking the heat for them. It is the sign of a poor leader.

Whatever Deans does is wrong in your book.

Tell me exactly what he could have said, that you would not criticise?

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know it's a bit late for this but does anybody think JOC (James O'Connor) was impeded in the lead up to Cuthbert's try?

313gkd2.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's a pretty standard decoy these days, had JOC (James O'Connor) been a bit more switched on (cynical) he could've milked it a bit more and maybe won the penalty.

The Wallabies have scored some beautiful tries using the blindside wing (look for Ioane and Tuqiri especially) in the past, so I guess thems the breaks.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I know it's a bit late for this but does anybody think JOC (James O'Connor) was impeded in the lead up to Cuthbert's try?

I think he was impeded and I think the TMO made the wrong call. Here's why: a good decoy run will be so convincing that the defender chooses to tackle the decoy runner. It is about who initiates the contact. In this instance, JOC (James O'Connor) is trying to get around BOD because he is not fooled by the decoy. BOD initiates contact with him while O'Connor tries his best to keep moving to the right. While it is only a slight contact, JOC (James O'Connor) only misses Cuthbert by a slight margin.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Here's why: a good decoy run will be so convincing that the defender chooses to tackle the decoy runner. It is about who initiates the contact.

I haven't taken a lot of time to think about it but it seems pretty spot on at first glance......I like it anyway...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Haven't had a chance to reflect on the game since Saturday night. Was a great experience to watch live and the game really lived up to the hype in my book. Shame about the missed kick at the end but thems the breaks.

Thought the Wallabies defence was outstanding as was the line-out Watching the game live (and drunk) it was very easy to forget that the Wallabies lost three players to injury, given how well they dealt with it and I think that's a credit to the team, I'm sure watching at home the commentators were constantly reminded of the injury count.

I was happy with the performance of all of the players, but I think there were some clear indications as that there were some tactical/personnel blunders by Deans.
1) O'Connor was no good at flyhalf, and clearly looked more dangerous towards the end of the game when he was able to play a bit wider. We looked more dangerous with Beale stepping in the 5/8.
2) Having Barnes at the back was a massive error. His kicking wasn't good enough.
3) I saw some people having a go at Palu on this board but from where I was sitting he got through a mountain of work. Perhaps wasn't at his best, but did enough to retain his spot in my view.

I'd keep the same starting forward pack for the next, save for perhaps bringing Kepu/Slipper in for Alexander. I'd bring MMM and Smith onto the bench in place of Simmons and Gill (nothing wrong with those two players but I think MMM and Smith offer more impact).

Backline I'd go with would be:

10. Beale
11. O'Connor
12. Lilo
13. Horne
14. Folau
15. Mogg

Reserves: Taps and Cummins

I think we can win the next test provided Deans names someone other than JOC (James O'Connor) at 10.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If you're interested in how some UK press rated their players:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...sh-Lions-rated-attritional-Test-Brisbane.html

By those ratings and text descriptions you'd think that they won in a canter.

Phillips and Warburtons rating are the worst, everyone in the Lions team should probably come down a point or two bar Heaslip he should probably get an 7.5. Although you shouldn't be paying too much attention to anything the Daily Heil writes

Status
Not open for further replies.