• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Phillips and Warburtons rating are the worst, everyone in the Lions team should probably come down a point or two bar Heaslip he should probably get an 7.5. Although you shouldn't be paying too much attention to anything the Daily Heil writes
Very interesting to see the pace at which Phillips chased Genia in the Folau first try - not flat out would be my take.
Scott Allen don't know if you've got access to relevant video but I think one of our problems in the scrum, initially, is that the Lions are not packing, or taking the hit. We seem to be going to them and are overextended and vulnerable as a result.
I would like your view as to my theory and your solution.
Please.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
And this is how they used to rule it.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .

How has that changed (genuine question)? I had a read of the Laws and they're quite vague: "10.1b - A player must not intentionally move or stand in front of a team-mate carrying the ball thereby preventing opponents from tackling the current ball carrier or the opportunity to tackle potential ball carriers when they gain possession." So I guess it comes down to whether the decoy runner effects the defenders' opportunity, which I think is definitely true for this case.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Very interesting to see the pace at which Phillips chased Genia in the Folau first try - not flat out would be my take.
Scott Allen don't know if you've got access to relevant video but I think one of our problems in the scrum, initially, is that the Lions are not packing, or taking the hit. We seem to be going to them and are overextended and vulnerable as a result.
I would like your view as to my theory and your solution.
Please.

IS - I've done an attack video for today which I'll publish shortly then will do a set piece video tomorrow and will include some video and commentary on this issue.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

Really poor game from him all round, but not chasing back after 15 is almost unforgivable! If the coach was anyone except Warren Gatland Phillips wouldn't see much more action. Scrum half, along with loose head is turning into a real problem position for the Lions.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Really poor game from him all round, but not chasing back after 15 is almost unforgivable! If the coach was anyone except Warren Gatland Phillips wouldn't see much more action. Scrum half, along with loose head is turning into a real problem position for the Lions.

I would definitely start with Youngs this week. From the little I've seen him play, I've been pretty impressed.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)

I'd have pulled him off the field there & then, lazy b.......d !
He wouldn't have caught Genia (no scrumhalf in the world would on the turn I guess) but you've gotta put in some effort, Christ he was jogging ! :mad:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd have pulled him off the field there & then, lazy b...d !
He wouldn't have caught Genia (no scrumhalf in the world would on the turn I guess) but you've gotta put in some effort, Christ he was jogging ! :mad:

I just watched the replay while focussing on Phillips and that is ridiculous. He starts jogging as soon as Genia has gone past him. How was he to know there wouldn't be a dropped ball or similar that would allow him to catch up? Really poor form.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS - I've done an attack video for today which I'll publish shortly then will do a set piece video tomorrow and will include some video and commentary on this issue.
Great analysis, as ever.
The Beale failure to straighten and release Folau really worries me.
There are (at least) 2 Beales - there's a passing Beale who plays 10 and there's running Beale who plays 15.
The 2 never mix.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I'd have pulled him off the field there & then, lazy b...d !

But how can anyone be surprised when you watch some of his performances for Bayonne? He obviously feels he is entitled to the jersey. That said I hope Gatland sticks with him and Youngs for the next two tests. That would mean that Conor Murray has only got to get through tomorrow's game and a bit of tackle bag carrying and he will be back safe and sound at home.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Watching the game this morning, I couldn't help but wonder how influential Pocock, IMO, would have been. I think he would have been HUGE last night.

We are a funny lot us Australians. We have had some unbelievable open sides in this country and it doesn't take long to forget about a certain player and cling onto the man love for another. It's like a bandwagon that is stuck on a roundabout. :)

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I was somewhat disappointed to see some of the nonsense that George North involved himself in during the match - several incidents along the way...

I trust one of the Wallabies shoves that wagging finger firmly up Mr. North's fundament in the 2nd Test - and I think Mr Hooper, or Mr Folau are just the men to do it! - unless Mr. Genia gets there first...

North is good - and had a strong game, but he is not yet good enough to get away with the nonsense I saw on Saturday.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's hard to have a go at North for the finger pointing when Folau threw the ball at Sexton after his try.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No you didn't,you gave a motherhood statement about the types of things good leaders say.
But you know that.

Thanks for talking for me, I forgot how to do it myself.

I said in a previous post the sort of way I think it should be worded.

I suspect you either can't be bothered finding it or are wilfully ignoring it. Either way I'm not going to argue it anymore.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Barnes is out for the Melbourne test, Ioane and McCabe out for the series, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Lilo looking confident about starting on Saturday.

I reckon we'll see an unchanged pack, and a backline of

Genia
JOC (James O'Connor)
Tomane/Cummins
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Beale

Phipps
Tapuai
Mogg/Tomane/Cummins

Still a lot of strike power out there, more than enough to match the Lions. I'd like to think JOC (James O'Connor) starting at 10 is contingent on Lilo being next to him as the 2nd option at first receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.