• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
I am
If that side is accurate, one can't help but wonder if Deans is really going out of his way to try to piss off Queenslanders after the whole McKenzie/Cooper affair. Three Reds and seven Tahs, really? And Barnes of all people? And at Suncorp, of all places? Way to make it as hard as possible to support your country. If they can't manage a win, Deans is going to have a hard time explaining his way out of this one.

I am about as a parochial Queenslander as most - but really when it comes to the Wallabies its different its all about the team in gold......yes I also counted the numbers twice to be sure :) ,,,, but then I looked at it again and who cares...this is about the wallabies and given injuries this is as about as good a team as we can get. Slipper and Simmons could have been there but at least for the first test - they are not so move on and forget the interstate stuff - this is about gold gold gold.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why is this test any more important than say, a Bledisloe game? Justin Harrison debuted in a Lions test didn't he? You've got to start them some time and IMHO every test is equally important, so I have no problem with three guys getting their first cap on the weekend.

Getting a game in the first Scotland/Samoa/Fiji test of the year is equal to a Bledisloe or a English Tour game or (god forbid) a Lion's test?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On a different note, Robbie's bench selections are much less inspired than his XV.

Yeah, apart from Gill and Beale the rest of the bench aren't game changers, the are replacements who will fill a role.

Whereas the Lions will throw on game changers, that last 20 to 30 minutes is going to be interesting

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, apart from Gill and Beale the rest of the bench aren't game changers, the are replacements who will fill a role.

Whereas the Lions will throw on game changers, that last 20 to 30 minutes is going to be interesting

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Lions bench will apparently be Hibbard, Corbserio, Cole, Parling, SOB, Murray, Farrell, Kearney. There is very little impact on that bench barring SOB, the impact from the backs is virtually zero. None of these blokes could come on and change a test match around, Australia have 2 in Gill and Beale.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Lions bench will apparently be Hibbard, Corbserio, Cole, Parling, SOB, Murray, Farrell, Kearney. There is very little impact on that bench barring SOB, the impact from the backs is virtually zero. None of these blokes could come on and change a test match around, Australia have 2 in Gill and Beale.

I see a dominant complete front row, an excellent lineout poacher and a quality 10. Add SOB and I see impact

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I see a dominant complete front row, an excellent poacher and a quality 10. Add SOB and I see impact

Say the Lions are 10 points down, SOB aside which of these are game changers? Corbserio and Hibbarb haven't looked in great form so far, Cole is a solid scrummager he might add something at the breakdown. Parling is a great line out technician, doesn't offer a huge amount around the field. Murray, Fazlet and Kearney are all big step downs from their starting postions, but all wouldn't disgrace themselves defensively.

Its a bench picked to defend a lead not chase a game, that said it is only speculation till Gatland confirms it, however its a huge gamble

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Say the Lions are 10 points down, SOB aside which of these are game changers? Corbserio and Hibbarb haven't looked in great form so far, Cole is a solid scrummager he might add something at the breakdown. Parling is a great line out technician, doesn't offer a huge amount around the field. Murray, Fazlet and Kearney are all big step downs from their starting postions, but all wouldn't disgrace themselves defensively.

Its a bench picked to defend a lead not chase a game, that said it is only speculation till Gatland confirms it, however its a huge gamble

interesting analysis JSRF10.

I really don't mind the Wallabies bench. 3 Reds players, all of which have a great history of performing well at Suncorp. I think that's the right move. Our best scrummaging TH in Kepu. Our best lineout jumper in Simmons.

We have a few blokes that can help us chase a game. Kurtley Beale is a game changer no question. We saw the impact he had when he came on in his last game for the rebels. Phipps is not a bad backup halfback if you need to score points. A lot of line-breaks and line-break assists.

If we are in front late in the game, McCabe is a useful option.

All in all its not bad given the cattle available. The choice of Simmons over Madness suggests that Hooper and Mowen will both play 80 minutes, so Deans is planning on releasing tandem 7s late in the game. I think it's the right move, and could be the ace up our sleeve.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Debuts in a Lions test?
Untested JOC (James O'Connor) at 10?
Edit: deleted unnecessary snip, FP Barnes at 15?

This isn't going to be pretty. We're going to see excessive kicking from Barnes, botched plays by JOC (James O'Connor) and dropped ball from the debutants

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Gats probably would've had Manu T on the bench if he were 100% fit.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Debuts in a Lions test?
Barnes at 15?

This isn't going to be pretty. We're going to see excessive kicking from Barnes, botched plays by JOC (James O'Connor) and dropped ball from the debutants

We'll only see excessive kicking form Barnes if that's what he's told to do. His (few) games for the Tahs this year he shelved the boot quite a bit and ran/passed much more often as per Chiek's game plan.

We'll be right mate! :)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Debuts in a Lions test?
Barnes at 15?

But these aren't 19yo debutants. One has been on the cusp for a couple of years but because of injury hasn't had a gig. Lilo is what 24-25 with plenty of good rugby under his belt

Folau has played in the big arena so he knows how to prepare himself mentally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Debuts in a Lions test?
Barnes at 15?

Can you please explain what you think is wrong with Barnes at 15?

I will freely admit that I am a big fan of Barnes and I think over the last few years, the Wallabies look better when he is in the side than out of it. I don't like him as a test match 10 but he's played well at 12 and 15.

He started 5 tests for the Wallabies at 15 last year and we won all but one of them (we lost against South Africa at Loftus). That included setting up the last gasp try against Wales at Millenium Stadium to win the match.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Getting a game in the first Scotland/Samoa/Fiji test of the year is equal to a Bledisloe or a English Tour game or (god forbid) a Lion's test?

Yep. They are all equally important as I said before. They all go in the book after all.

The Lions are not special. They are just another test team we play.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep. They are all equally important as I said before. They all go in the book after all.

The Lions are not special. They are just another test team we play.

Not sure what your angle is with this statement, but I don't remember seeing an advertising campaign for the Scotland test last year, or any of the Wales tests, or even the Rugby Championship or the Bledisloe. I also don't remember 20-30 thousand supporters coming to Australia to support the opposition either.

It's pretty special mate.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm almost as excited about the fanfare as the game itself. Looking forward to being a part of the celebrations on caxton street on Saturday before the game. Will be there with my brother and old man. Might even settle in at a good Indian restaurant nearby for a late lunch (any recommendations for a good feed in the Milton area?).

Status
Not open for further replies.