• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Hoping that this will not be like 2001.
The 1st test then was a rude awakening to what the Lions were capable of.
We were lucky we had a great Aussie team then. Nathan Grey changed the tide by taking out Richard Hill and Joe Roff with his tries.

Wishing we had George and Higgers. I hope the Wallabies do not take the 1st test lightly. Saving the series in a rainy Melbourne would not be great...

Go Aus.

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Good point well presented.
Hoping for a great win.
Bring back QC (Quade Cooper).

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Just a question about Etihad (I know the answer is probably obvious but anyways) when the roof is closed is there any wind in the stadium at all?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just a question about Etihad (I know the answer is probably obvious but anyways) when the roof is closed is there any wind in the stadium at all?

A little bit through the 4 tunnels in the corners. Etihad stadium is in one of the wind hot spots of Melbourne, it's always cold and windy down that part of town. The whole design of Docklands is F#cked and every area is a wind tunnel between buildings.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Not enough to have any influence on the game.

Can't wait to be there with a full crowd in song. It's not the best place to watch rugby but the atmosphere created by the closed roof goes a ways to making up for it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good point well presented.
Hoping for a great win.
Bring back QC (Quade Cooper).

Ha. Only took three posts to get that in. Particularly surprising seeing as we don't yet know how the wallabies will play in the first encounter!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Those flying into Melbourne from the north keep an eye out for this cracking piece of art.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's a "Samsung" Wallabies booth already set up outside Crown on the Yarra Rover side. Walked past it this morning.

As for Etihad, it's not the easiest place to watch rugby, but the echo of the stadium adds to the atmosphere and i found you can hear what the players are saying out on field a lot clearer.

Melbourne will bring the atmosphere around the city also.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Melbourne will bring the atmosphere around the city also.

The good thing about Melbourne is you can pretty much have pre-drinks anywhere and get to Ethihad. trams and trains give pretty easy access or a easy walk from the CBD. Still have not decided on which pub to warm up in.

Rugby team is asking to shift our game from 3pm to 12 or 1pm that Saturday. Think the VRU should have made it a weekend off to be honest, at least earlier kick offs.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Changes I'd make for the 2nd test: Youngs, Croft, St Sam, Heaslip, Phillips, Davies, Cuthbert out Hibbard SOB Tipuric Faletau Youngs Roberts Bowe in

Changes Gatland will make Lydiate in Croft out

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think there are question marks over Palus place in the team. We could go with Mowen at 8 and MMM or Kimlin at 6

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The writing is on the wall that we may be looking for a new captain for next week.

Who?

Squeaky Moore?

Leave Sanchez to his normal game. Don't burden him with additional responsibilities.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu (Alexander is shit in the scrum)
4. Douglas
5. Skelton (assume Horwill is out - Skelton was immense against same pack)
6. Mowen
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia (c)
10. Cooper
11. O'Connor (else Ioane if Lilo is out)
12. Lilo (assumed fit, else JOC (James O'Connor))
13. Kuridrani (assume AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is out)
14. Folau
15. Beale

16. Slipper
17. Fainga'a (hopefully doesn't come on)
18. Alexander
19. MMM
20. Gill
21. White (else Phipps)
22. To'omua
23. Mogg

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
The writing is on the wall that we may be looking for a new captain for next week.

Who?

Squeaky Moore?

Leave Sanchez to his normal game. Don't burden him with additional responsibilities.

Amazing turn of events...agreed genia should stay vc and left to focus on what he does best.....it seems weird suggesting mowen given he only made his debut last night but the more I think about it the more I like it. He captains arguably the best provincial side at the moment, he had a massive game last night and seems to be absolutely relishing his opportunity. Downside is that he is calling the lineouts and although I could see him handling it all it is a huge ask and alot more pressure. Moore could be an option but I think he is too laid back in character (not in game style) to captain. Robinson - could be good but might have some communication issues. It really only leaves Mowen - who could call the line outs if he is captain though? At the end of the day Deans will probably pick Genia.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
3. Kepu (Alexander is shit in the scrum)
/quote]

In case I missed something, how many tight heads did the Lions win when Ben A was on the field, and how many Penalties did he give away at the scrum. I do remember Benn R being pinged at one scrum, but don't recall many other scrum penalties.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scrum was much stabler when Kepu was on.

Re: Skelton, it's more than a little hopeful, but he did stand up to the same pack only a couple weeks ago.

Kimlin would be a good realistic choice, but I'm not convinced he offers enough grunt in the scrum. I have the same reservations about Hugh Pyle.

I don't think Smmons should be anywhere near a wallaby jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.