• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Smith

Frank Row (1)
History not on the Aussies side but after SA had a hard hit out with the Puma's i think link will be able to get around the boys and fire them up for a must win game. Need to shuffle a few postions though- Mogg to switch with issy and bring in Tomane and Ben Robbinsonn to come back in for Ben Alexander.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Geez that 49-0 was a good night out.

I'm not sure that the Boks releasing blokes out to play French club games is really the best prep for them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was the Refs fault we lost.

He should have gone to the TMO for the Try that he missed. The Saffers deserved to get at least two Yellow Cards for their cynical infringing all day. The AR missed at least two blatant forward passes and should have seen the backline encroaching into the 10 metres at defensive lineouts.

Wait - is this game in two weeks time?

Just warming up. :)

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
Shoot me if you want, but the Springboks aren't going to win this one.

Australia has belief that they can beat us, they did it 7/9 times in the past few years, we will be under prepared and look di jointed.

They will find a way to outwit us in the breakdown and scrums, as we do not have the ability to adapt on the field of play.

Habana, Morne, Juandre etc to all be knackered from their travels and will have a below par performance.

Plus of course there is the factor that we haven't won there in years.

Ok, Thanks, got that out of my system.

If the boks do not front up in the breakdown and increase their intensity I the contact area, we won't win.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Boks, like the Argies, don't seem to travel too well in TRC. Suncorp is also a good place for us. I see this as our game to lose.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What changes ?
IMO Mogg, To'omua, should be out
Mowen must be close, Genia should be close
Alexander should be but Kepu (and Sio) didn't step up at all so Alexander may get a reprieve

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mowen has now played two games at number 8 and been ineffective after being excellent at 6 in the Lions series.

Perhaps our forward pack would be better if we played Horwill and Fardy at lock, Mowen at 6 and McCalman at number 8.

I think Robinson needs to come back into the 23, Cummins onto the wing with Folau to fullback but otherwise I would probably leave it as is.

To'omua did enough in the second test to retain his spot in my opinion. In particular Cooper did nothing off the bench so I can't see a direct swap as being a great option. I think To'omua needs to be given a start in a match against a team that we're favourites to win against (which presumably we will be at home against South Africa). Foley is still waiting in the wings but I can't see either To'omua or Cooper being discarded at this point. They both need more game time before that decision should be made in my opinion.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Any love for Timani?
We are lacking muscle, big ball runners and power in general.
We could do worse than put him in alongside Horwill.
Cooper, Cummins and Fat Cat also to start.
How close is Palu?

edit - What about TPN.....is he close to being ready for the bench?

M

Muttonbird

Geez that 49-0 was a good night out.

I'm not sure that the Boks releasing blokes out to play French club games is really the best prep for them.

It's madness isn't it? At least we won't hear about the Boks' travel factor anymore.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Timani may not be off to France according to today's reports.

Does this bring him into the Wobs frame?

He has been known to go missing at times in big games, but the France deal falling through may be the motivating factor he needs to play for the full 60 minutes until fresh legs come on.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu Slipper
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Hooper
8. McCalman (best we have left)
9. Genia (another bad game and he gets benched)
10. To'omua
11. Cummins
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

16. Fainga'a
17. Robinson
18. Slipper Kepu (Kepu to start if Slipper not fit, then Alexander to bench)
19. Simmons
20. Gill
21. White
22. Cooper
23. Mogg

I know that doesn't leave a lot of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cover, but Cummins could play 13 in a pinch, and I would imagine that JOC (James O'Connor) would go okay in an emergency.

EDIT: Kepu and Slipper swapped

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mowen has now played two games at number 8 and been ineffective after being excellent at 6 in the Lions series.

Perhaps our forward pack would be better if we played Horwill and Fardy at lock, Mowen at 6 and McCalman at number 8.

I think Robinson needs to come back into the 23, Cummins onto the wing with Folau to fullback but otherwise I would probably leave it as is.

To'omua did enough in the second test to retain his spot in my opinion. In particular Cooper did nothing off the bench so I can't see a direct swap as being a great option. I think To'omua needs to be given a start in a match against a team that we're favourites to win against (which presumably we will be at home against South Africa). Foley is still waiting in the wings but I can't see either To'omua or Cooper being discarded at this point. They both need more game time before that decision should be made in my opinion.

Not a fan of McCalman, but worth a try just to get Mowen back to No 6. Then Fardy must replace Simmons on the strength of their respective games last weekend. I agree with all other propositions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ I like that team.

I don't think Kuridrani has done anything off the bench to suggest his continued inclusion is essential.

I think this next two tests really needs to be used as the last chance (for the Rugby Championship only) for a few players.

If To'omua or Cooper don't stand up and have a really strong game soon then Bernard Foley deserves a shot off the bench.

Kane Douglas needs to improve otherwise someone else should get a shot.

The front row should be switched around a bit. I think Slipper is currently our most in form prop but I'm not convinced that our front row wouldn't be strongest with Robbo at LHP and Slipper at THP.

Status
Not open for further replies.