• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
fatprop

I was really talking about general play but the same logic applies to the scrum when it's going backwards I guess.

How do you reckon the #9 dive passing helps the #10 go forward when the scrum is going backwards though? I've only ever really been taught the dive pass as a tool to get the ball out in a way that makes it very hard to pressure or interrupt the #9s pass. I'm guessing you're talking bout using the dive pass as opposed to the 8-9-10 juggle?

If that's the case then yeah I agree with you there. As was mentioned earlier it worked for the Reds because Genia was hitting the ball moving and Digby was also offering himself on the inside to hold the 7/8 closer to the scrum.

Working as a unit in any facet of play would be a big step up for the forwards as well as the entire team this weekends. We made the Bok forwards look even more powerful than they are by repeatedly taking them on 1v2/3. 'Teamwork' seems to be a bit of an issue in all facets of the game right now. I really don't
think we have a genuinely good 'combination' anywhere on the park right now.

Back to general play and getting blasted in the tackle though..it really is ridiculous to criticize a 10 for not being at pace when he gets the ball when the backs are realigning on the back foot every phase or two. Shit, being static when the ball comes is actually and improvement from where they were a second before the ball gets out.

Regardless my 2c on To'omua/Cooper are that neither have been particularly impressive so far. Cooper did an awful lot of shoveling on before he started to chance his hand when we were chasing the score and he began racking up the errors. If we can't get him playing the style we know he can WITHOUT the disproportionate amount of errors (seriously there are just way too many for what little we have been getting out of these moves as of late) is there much point in keeping him? On the other hand To'omua got sledged for the same kind of shoveling in Bledisloe I but seemed far more assured in Bled II. That said, he wasn't lighting the world on fire either.

I think the answer may be that we just simply do not have a world-class 10 (at the moment) in Australia. Cooper has never been 'world-class' for more than 40 minutes at a time at test level and To'omua is still largely an unknown quantity at test level. When you break down the numbers though the chances of Australia actually even having a world class 10 are really quite low. Our depth and internal structure are absolutely laughable compared to NZ and SA and we are paying the piper for this now.

I've found myself caught up in this mindset many times that we either already have a world beater in position X or that if we don't, there is one waiting to be discovered. But when you take a population in the 20s (millions) and then split it between multiple football codes you really cannot realistically expect to have the same cattle as nations with a larger general population who hold rugby in higher regard or those who worship it as a religion.

Couple this fact with our comparatively weaker domestic comp and it is all no wonder. We can't even really gauge how much talent we DO have because our grassroots needs a Iifeline all over the country and we lack a proper 3rd tier.

Hopefully I'm entirely wrong and this isn't a long-term systemic issue we are now feeling the hurt from. Either way with the state of Australian Rugby Union at the grassroots and domestic level coupled with the sheer weight of numbers we cannot realistically expect to have class players in any position right now, much less one of the most technical and nuanced positions in the entire game.

I'm sorry if I've repeated myself, typing on the mobile as I ride the train.

sneaker

Stan Wickham (3)
I still dont get why the wallabies cant get the new scrum laws right? I played rugby for 10 years and when we played .. touch, pause engage...(pretty much identical to now) then the ball goes in? most of these players have grown up with this ... im 31 so same time frame as some of the players on the field.. I have played prop and hooker and i dont see how these professionals cant adapt, its like they have never scrummed in their life. I watched the all blacks vs argies this morning.. man the argies scrum is solid....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
In the olden days you adapted, the 9 dove passed to the 10 to give him more time or the 9 planted his heel and passed from the deck. This static passing from 8 to 9 to 10 is bullocks, you assume the scrum will be under pressure and plan accordingly, just like the Japanese do.

But while you plan for shit ball, you actually get the pigs working as a unit at scrum time to gain an extra second of stability

I was really talking about general play but the same logic applies to the scrum when it's going backwards I guess.

How do you reckon the #9 dive passing helps the #10 go forward when the scrum is going backwards though? I've only ever really been taught the dive pass as a tool to get the ball out in a way that makes it very hard to pressure or interrupt the #9s pass. I'm guessing you're talking bout using the dive pass as opposed to the 8-9-10 juggle?

There's some benefit to being old. I got to see Ken Catchpole and John Hipwell play (mainly in back and white of course, maybe that made them look better).
They both played in an era when our team was nowhere near top 5 and it was expected that the pack would be going backwards all day. They played under lineout rules where the ball quality coming back was mostly awful. Nevertheless, the ball went quickly and cleanly to the 10 every time; and not at his bootlaces either. The moment someone mentions Genia as being our greatest ever I fall about on the ground laughing. Until a 9 can cope with bad ball and still deliver it to the 10 quickly and accurately, he's never going to be better than just OK.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy

Have you ever been wearing 9/10 when your pack is getting physically dominated? Because it is just as bad as the scenario you described at the end of your post.

There has been a lot of mention of our halves catching the ball standing still..

But what else are you expecting when they stop back pedaling just in time to receive the pass?

Refer to my earlier post where I thought I made it pretty clear I'm a rugby player, not a back...

Wayne Smith made the following observation:

Anything said by either Jim Tucker or Wayne Smith in support of a Qld player should be treated with caution. Or firearms.

The two of them don't know which title to fight for some days: "Spit Roasted The Hardest By Sanchez and Kwade" or "Most Obsequious Reds Fan Of The Year."

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I still dont get why the wallabies cant get the new scrum laws right? I played rugby for 10 years and when we played .. touch, pause engage.(pretty much identical to now) then the ball goes in? most of these players have grown up with this . im 31 so same time frame as some of the players on the field.. I have played prop and hooker and i dont see how these professionals cant adapt, its like they have never scrummed in their life. I watched the all blacks vs argies this morning.. man the argies scrum is solid..

sneaker for Wallabies Forward Coach

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
In the olden days you adapted, the 9 dove passed to the 10 to give him more time or the 9 planted his heel and passed from the deck.

It seems to me the dive pass is a good way to to give the defenders an extra man in defence. With the halfback on the deck even momentarily it simplifies the problem for the defenders. I think with the speed of modern rugby it is past it's use by date. Not so passing from the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It seems to me the dive pass is a good way to to give the defenders an extra man in defence. With the halfback on the deck even momentarily it simplifies the problem for the defenders. I think with the speed of modern rugby it is past it's use by date. Not so passing from the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The nine gets to his feet quickly afterwards, the goal is to give quick ball and therefore more time and space to the 10. Luke Burgess was still doing it a few years ago

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I still dont get why the wallabies cant get the new scrum laws right? I played rugby for 10 years and when we played .. touch, pause engage.(pretty much identical to now) then the ball goes in? most of these players have grown up with this . im 31 so same time frame as some of the players on the field.. I have played prop and hooker and i dont see how these professionals cant adapt, its like they have never scrummed in their life. I watched the all blacks vs argies this morning.. man the argies scrum is solid..

Because as has been pointed out numerous times in multiple video analysis the base technique is poor. It was poor under the old "hit" but that system allowed much more room to hide deficiencies as a scrum as all about the "hit". Now technique is king and the Wallabies technique is poor and they are being found out. I said it after the first Bledisloe match that I thought the new laws would be causing these issues. The fact that we are in the same position three matches later speaks volumes about the forward coaching of the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.