• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Many want to watch a national and higher level competition - read professional and semi professional - think AFL and NRL so to just say people should watch SS is ignoring there is a bigger market who don't want to just watch SS or like me recently will watch a little SS but also want to watch higher level - semi professional or professional game but not have to go back to NRL or AFL to do so. Why can't you respect that.

I think the NRC produces really good rugby as does SS, I wish you would just be a little less anti NRC as it gives the opportunity to see the leading club players across the country up against fringe Super Rugby players to test their mettle and some of us enjoy it. Where else do you see that!

I think the non monetary investment made by the ARU in NRC is worth it and sadly if they took too long after ARC debacle (where had wrong funding model) to get this going again.

Crowds and ratings are improving season on season and yes but from low base but with financial constraints and limitations as short form competition got to start somewhere.

There is a role for SS as is there is a role for a higher level national competition as pathways. Yes the NRC as short form competition does not provide probably the long term answer but it is a start and low risk one from financial and non monetary capital investment required and helps with trialling something (and learn lessons in low risk way) that could be evolved into a better national competition or something else. I really wish you would not be so myopic thinking we can just have the SS below the Wallabies. Part of the problem is this self interests of different factions re: clubs, state unions etc and it is about more than just one interest group and not everyone wants to watch club rugby or vice versa professional teams but respect for many rugby fans there are many who want to watch pure amateur rugby like SS or PR.

I am pleased to see hardened club folk like Papworth get involved in NRC as this whole them vs us between club rugby and other semi pro and professional competitions has to stop as this bickering and fractured nature of rugby and petty politics is what has equally stopped moving our game forward in this country. We need an organisation and leader who can work with parties to create a more united front on different pathways and stop the petty politics that is Australian Rugby.

Where have I said I don't respect it? I have watched my share of NRC games as its rugby.

The debate is not about that. It is about keeping the game alive long enough to grow it and for the reasons stated my honest opinion has always been the NRC doesn't meet that criteria. It is not myopia, I do take offence to that since I along with some others here largely predicted the outcomes we are now seeing. The same happened again and again when I raised questions about the integrity of process that the ARU displayed in many systems and policies. I was not surprised by the Force saga and it twists and turns, history should have been the big guide for all as to the likely outcomes with the ARU. Again you read into my posts things which I have never posted, where have I ever advocated for "just SS below the Wallabies". What I advocate is something that builds on what is already there. Long term organic growth. It did actually start and was getting promoted throughout the 90s with the Club champions playing off. Why not expand on that idea? Make it semi pro if you want, if that will somehow make the Rugby better (it sure as shit hasn't worked for Australian Super Rugby players). Heineken Cup style. Just one thought.

As for the final paragraph, I have been saying on here for a long time, if we want to see real reform, the Unions have to lose the control they currently have, if not be dissolved altogether. Their self interest prevents any progress, with Harris proudly defending his "selfishness" regarding the Force matter. However realistically I doubt that will not happen prior to them going completely broke with no further head office bailouts as those proudly selfish individuals will not relinquish their reins of power and position willingly.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't disagree that the NRC isn't without its issues..

But that's not what the question was, you asked why people don't watch the Shute shield, and it's clear that you're the exception not the norm when it comes to watching teams you have no affiliation to. The quality of play whilst some are very good, some were crap, even the good ones arnet good enough for me to justify the opportunity cost of whatever else I can do on my weekend.

The reality of the Shute Shield is that it doesn't present mass market appeal to rugby fans outside of Sydney. This isn't the EPL or La Liga, they aren't that good that they warrant been watched despite not having any allegiance to.

Did I? It was not the intent if I did and can't be arsed going back now.

"This isn't the EPL or La Liga, they aren't that good that they warrant been watched despite not having any allegiance to" and this goes for the NRC and unfortunately the Australian Super side also.

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
If there is any truth to this it will just prove what a bunch of gutless, lying b$%rds the ARU are.

The $20 million deal that punted the Western Force out of Super Rugby

Roy Masters

A $20 million package from the Victorian government to the ARU, securing Bledisloe Cup and British and Irish Lions Test matches in Melbourne over an eight-to-10-year period, guaranteed the future of the Rebels in the SANZAAR competition.

The protracted negotiations between the Victorian government and the ARU, where approximately one-quarter of the funding will pass to the Rebels, ensured the Melbourne team would always be chosen by the ARU, ahead of Perth's Western Force, as the Australian team to be retained in the SANZAAR competition.

No top international team comes to an Australian capital city without some investment from a state government, meaning the withdrawal of funding from the Victorian government would have entrenched rugby union forever as the fourth football code in the country.

The financial package was secured by Premier Daniel Andrews, Treasurer Tim Pallas and Sports Minister John Eren.

Pallas, who was largely instrumental in building AAMI Park, Melbourne's rectangular facility used by the Storm, Rebels and A-League teams, Victory and City, was determined to retain the city's reputation as the sporting capital of Australia.

The money stays in the state, with a development centre and rectangular fields for junior teams built in conjunction with La Trobe University.

The Rebels survival is also a victory for a small group of Melbourne men who were attracted to the game via their sons playing rugby.

The group, led by VRU president Tim North SC, approached long-term benefactors for funds to purchase the Rebels licence from holder, Melbourne businessman, Andrew Cox.

When Cox, disappointed by the Rebels' on-field performance and stressed by some of his other investments, was satisfied with his exit package, he then sold the licence for a debt-free club to the VRU for $1.

The timing, along with the ARU's need to invest in grassroots and its near bankruptcy, together with its commitment to SANZAAR to cull an Australian team, was therefore a perfect storm for the Melbourne group to get their game back.

But not so perfect for the Storm who continue to have a professional rugby rival in the Victorian capital.

The ARU's claim to have been blindsided by the news of the sale of the Rebels to the VRU is also at odds with the documentation around the licence.

The ARU signed off on the option for the sale of the club to the VRU and had effectively already consented to the transaction.

Furthermore, because the Rebels were never in breach of the licence, particularly in a financial sense, they could never be legally stripped of it.

While the licence holder is Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union Limited, the company is owned by the VRU.

This, therefore, guarantees two votes at ARU board meetings – one for the Rebels and another for the VRU.

Previously, West Australian-based board member Geoff Stooke, represented the non-traditional rugby union states at meetings.

Compared to the A-League, where clubs are demanding representation on the FFA board, North and his allies have further consolidated victory.

Sadly, for the Western Force, it is the only team left in the cold from the SANZAAR restructure from 18 teams to 15.

The two South African teams culled have joined a European competition of 12 other teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy, now called Pro 14.

The Victorian government was also aware the Melbourne Rebels were strategically named, the only SANZAAR team to insist a geographical place name be included in their title.

While NSW fans know the Waratahs are based in Sydney, who can recite the homes of the Sharks, Blues, Chiefs, Highlanders?

The massive uplift in broadcasting revenue that led SANZAAR to over expand to 18, bringing in teams from Japan and Argentina, was reflected in the big audiences in England and Europe watching southern hemisphere games.

But viewers could only be certain of the home of one team, the Melbourne Rebels, a clear winner for Visit Victoria.

It is now the VRU's responsibility to ensure their team, which won a single game in the 2017 season, remains financially viable and competitive.

The club received an initial $6m investment from the ARU when they were invited to participate in the 2011 season, a further $8m from previous owner, Harold Mitchell, and Cox's contribution.

It is the ARU's responsibility to honour its commitment to schedule top international matches in Melbourne and win back the capacity MCG crowds of the late 1990s.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...16-gxxde5.html

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
If there is any truth to this it will just prove what a bunch of gutless, lying b$%rds the ARU are.

Roy Masters

A $20 million package from the Victorian government to the ARU, securing Bledisloe Cup and British and Irish Lions Test matches in Melbourne over an eight-to-10-year period, guaranteed the future of the Rebels in the SANZAAR competition.

The protracted negotiations between the Victorian government and the ARU, where approximately one-quarter of the funding will pass to the Rebels, ensured the Melbourne team would always be chosen by the ARU, ahead of Perth's Western Force, as the Australian team to be retained in the SANZAAR competition.

No top international team comes to an Australian capital city without some investment from a state government, meaning the withdrawal of funding from the Victorian government would have entrenched rugby union forever as the fourth football code in the country.

The financial package was secured by Premier Daniel Andrews, Treasurer Tim Pallas and Sports Minister John Eren.

Pallas, who was largely instrumental in building AAMI Park, Melbourne's rectangular facility used by the Storm, Rebels and A-League teams, Victory and City, was determined to retain the city's reputation as the sporting capital of Australia.

The money stays in the state, with a development centre and rectangular fields for junior teams built in conjunction with La Trobe University.

The Rebels survival is also a victory for a small group of Melbourne men who were attracted to the game via their sons playing rugby.

The group, led by VRU president Tim North SC, approached long-term benefactors for funds to purchase the Rebels licence from holder, Melbourne businessman, Andrew Cox.

When Cox, disappointed by the Rebels' on-field performance and stressed by some of his other investments, was satisfied with his exit package, he then sold the licence for a debt-free club to the VRU for $1.

The timing, along with the ARU's need to invest in grassroots and its near bankruptcy, together with its commitment to SANZAAR to cull an Australian team, was therefore a perfect storm for the Melbourne group to get their game back.

But not so perfect for the Storm who continue to have a professional rugby rival in the Victorian capital.

The ARU's claim to have been blindsided by the news of the sale of the Rebels to the VRU is also at odds with the documentation around the licence.

The ARU signed off on the option for the sale of the club to the VRU and had effectively already consented to the transaction.

Furthermore, because the Rebels were never in breach of the licence, particularly in a financial sense, they could never be legally stripped of it.

While the licence holder is Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union Limited, the company is owned by the VRU.

This, therefore, guarantees two votes at ARU board meetings – one for the Rebels and another for the VRU.

Previously, West Australian-based board member Geoff Stooke, represented the non-traditional rugby union states at meetings.

Compared to the A-League, where clubs are demanding representation on the FFA board, North and his allies have further consolidated victory.

Sadly, for the Western Force, it is the only team left in the cold from the SANZAAR restructure from 18 teams to 15.

The two South African teams culled have joined a European competition of 12 other teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy, now called Pro 14.

The Victorian government was also aware the Melbourne Rebels were strategically named, the only SANZAAR team to insist a geographical place name be included in their title.

While NSW fans know the Waratahs are based in Sydney, who can recite the homes of the Sharks, Blues, Chiefs, Highlanders?

The massive uplift in broadcasting revenue that led SANZAAR to over expand to 18, bringing in teams from Japan and Argentina, was reflected in the big audiences in England and Europe watching southern hemisphere games.

But viewers could only be certain of the home of one team, the Melbourne Rebels, a clear winner for Visit Victoria.

It is now the VRU's responsibility to ensure their team, which won a single game in the 2017 season, remains financially viable and competitive.

The club received an initial $6m investment from the ARU when they were invited to participate in the 2011 season, a further $8m from previous owner, Harold Mitchell, and Cox's contribution.

It is the ARU's responsibility to honour its commitment to schedule top international matches in Melbourne and win back the capacity MCG crowds of the late 1990s.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un.16-gxxde5.html

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Where have I said I don't respect it? I have watched my share of NRC games as its rugby.

The debate is not about that. It is about keeping the game alive long enough to grow it and for the reasons stated my honest opinion has always been the NRC doesn't meet that criteria. It is not myopia, I do take offence to that since I along with some others here largely predicted the outcomes we are now seeing. The same happened again and again when I raised questions about the integrity of process that the ARU displayed in many systems and policies. I was not surprised by the Force saga and it twists and turns, history should have been the big guide for all as to the likely outcomes with the ARU. Again you read into my posts things which I have never posted, where have I ever advocated for "just SS below the Wallabies". What I advocate is something that builds on what is already there. Long term organic growth. It did actually start and was getting promoted throughout the 90s with the Club champions playing off. Why not expand on that idea? Make it semi pro if you want, if that will somehow make the Rugby better (it sure as shit hasn't worked for Australian Super Rugby players). Heineken Cup style. Just one thought.

As for the final paragraph, I have been saying on here for a long time, if we want to see real reform, the Unions have to lose the control they currently have, if not be dissolved altogether. Their self interest prevents any progress, with Harris proudly defending his "selfishness" regarding the Force matter. However realistically I doubt that will not happen prior to them going completely broke with no further head office bailouts as those proudly selfish individuals will not relinquish their reins of power and position willingly.

Fair enough - my post was probably slightly out of line

T

TOCC

Did I? It was not the intent if I did and can't be arsed going back now.

"This isn't the EPL or La Liga, they aren't that good that they warrant been watched despite not having any allegiance to" and this goes for the NRC and unfortunately the Australian Super side also.

I've said it a few times, the opportunity to effectively restructure the rugby calendar in Australia will be the year starting 2019, with it coming into full effect 2020.

Even if Super Rugby is alive or dead in 2021 when the new broadcast roll around, 2020 will be the first season under the new global calendar which has some significant benefits for Australian rugby IMO.

It shifts the finish date of Super Rugby to June, that means no more of this ridiculous July break in the Super Rugby season and the July tests are wrapped up by the 3rd week of July.

Does this mean much? IMO it's massive, not so much for test rugby, but the club rugby scene and any form of the Club Championshop/NRC/Hybrid which takes place after that. Club Rugby teams now get their non-Wallabies back in early June in some cases, and they will likely get some fringe Wallabies during August prior to Rugby Championship commencing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good video.
But, the final takeaway message is a bit simplistic, on face value. Yes, we had teams that won championships in the past, but to sheet that all home to Club rugby per se is making some assumptions.
I'd agree with the 1984-6 Wallabies and 1991 RWC winners - amateur era when club rugby was mostly it.
But since professionalism, I'm not sure it is that simple. We had a group of players from 1998-2002 that were, in some ways, outliers, in that we had so many greats at once. Really not seen before or since. Plus, it was the era of a smaller Super Rugby tournament that was uniformly better quality. Plus, at the top level, we had stolen a march on the rest of the world with coaching / training / defensive techniques, where we have steadily been surpassed since. A lot of factors made the Wallabies great then. And Aus rugby rested on its laurels.
Yes, I totally agree that we must fix the base - schools, clubs and some in-between comp. I'd like to see fewer than 65% of all pro players being from the Shute Shield, which would mean the base was growing everywhere. Whenever I hear SS heavyweights talking about this, I can't help feeling that their scope is perhaps too narrow.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
OK, so i checked through last night (not the first time) and can find ITM, plenty of it. But nothing for this weekends round of CC. I cant be looking in the right place - any tips?

I watched a double header early this morning. Not live but they were on.