• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees BH you have changed your tune - not long ago you saying we would be crazy to leave Super Rugby - now at least you seem to be accepting reality that we need to replace it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure how you fix Australian Rugby's structure and I'm not at all convinced that anything much changes even if you change all the people at each level.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Change is only possible if the structure is changed and democratic accountability is reintroduced.

As per the RFU and FFR models, clubs affiliate directly to the governning body - state RUs go completely.

There's no perfect system, but the one we have now is a travesty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gees BH you have changed your tune - not long ago you saying we would be crazy to leave Super Rugby - now at least you seem to be accepting reality that we need to replace it.
I have consistently said that a Trans Tasman comp is desirable.

I don't think there is an Australian only model that will work though.

S

sidelineview

It's easy to kick the Wallabies when they're down and to state the obvious, but the Kiwis were superior in all areas of the game.
Basic catch/pass skills, defence and positional play in defence.
It wouldn't have been easy to defend against the All blacks because they played the game so fast and their 2nd and 3rd phase play was excellent but still.

When Wayne Bennett gets hold of a Club he immediately goes back to basics and works on catching and passing skills because he knows a lot of grade players can improve in that area, meaning they havent been coached properly as juniors and as they've progressed through the ranks.

If players dont have good basic skills by the time they play for the Wallabies whose fault is that?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Super Rugby is losing the ARU an average of maybe $5m a year bailing out teams?
That sort of figure is just the ARU's "over budget" number. The number to be looking at is bigger - their overall Supe expenditure encompassing all grants, expenses and bailouts etc. Weighed against the income generated it has been a loss leader from day dot (and sure, this is not the full Soup picture as each team also has their incomings and outgoings).

We need to replace it but I don't think it is easy.

Replace it, yes -- or condense the format for teams from 16 games and finals in 6 months (Feb-July) to say 8 champ cup games in two months -- and 40% of the financials are as they were.

Well, factoring in Super's continuing slide in value, anyway. Cut the boredom. Cut the fat.

Remaining 3-4 months, the possibilities open up. Costs drop, scheduling windows for matches widen, no more 2 am games, dot dot dot.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Change is only possible if the structure is changed and democratic accountability is reintroduced.

As per the RFU and FFR models, clubs affiliate directly to the governning body - state RUs go completely.

There's no perfect system, but the one we have now is a travesty.
They have tried to move towards doing this several times over the past few years and the State RUs, especially the 2 largest, will not have a bar of it.
I agree it absolutely needs to happen but how? I cannot see it being done.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
Many people bemoan the lack of talent and suggest we have overreached by having 5 teams in Super Rugby. When you consider the number of young Aussies plying their trade overseas I don't think we can pin our troubles on lack of players.

To me, it seems coaching is where we are lacking. There are limited pathways and limited opportunities for coaches to develop.

Yes, NZ have a wealth of talent but it is not restricted to playing stocks. They have good systems for developing coaches.

We lament the skills gap but we are not talking about uncoordinated newbies. These are professional athletes with better than average coordination. If they were spending the right amount of time developing skills, they should be able to close that gap. Quality coaching is the is the key here and not just at the top level, though the wallabies defence in the first half would suggest there are some issues there.

Development officers are an important cog here. I have seen some brilliant ones but they rarely stay in the role for long as the rewards are not there. If this could be addressed and we could get more coach development happening in clubs and schools we would reap the benefits in the years to come.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They have tried to move towards doing this several times over the past few years and the State RUs, especially the 2 largest, will not have a bar of it.
I agree it absolutely needs to happen but how? I cannot see it being done.

That's the nub of the problem. It will be very difficult. It's why I think that almost total collapse is the best hope.

Reactions: dru

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure how you fix Australian Rugby's structure and I'm not at all convinced that anything much changes even if you change all the people at each level.

Let's start with the NSWRU. Why would anyone there not think that the Shute Shield with all its history is important and that with our large participation base we are important to Australian Rugby and deserve a greater say at national level than most states with far fewer players.

At the ARU, what changes? It becomes pretty obvious pretty fast that the only thing that generates significant income for the game is the Wallabies. You rightly make decisions to try and maximise it.

Behind that you need a good number of professional players. Super Rugby is far from perfect but the money needed to do something different is massive and would need huge external investment for a significant time.

You would decide that you need to trim expenditure on players. How easy is it to lower the percentage by a couple in the next CBA? Probably very but you'd need to try it. How many players do you lose if you do manage to lower it and then pay everyone less?

We've got huge issues but I'm just not convinced anyone would do anything drastically different at any level of the hierarchy.

If you put Papworth in charge of the ARU I can't imagine he would suddenly find a way to spend millions more on the grassroots.

Centralise the common functions of the super franchises.
Stop the ad hoc bailing out of franchises by properly overseeing how they spend the money the ARU gives them.
That's probably $5M a year.
That's a good start without changing a thing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's the nub of the problem. It will be very difficult. It's why I think that almost total collapse is the best hope.

I get that, but if the ARU collapses, but the state unions stumble along and survive, which they probably will, and a new national body arises, we still have the road blocks in place.
We need dragons.
GoT-Drogon-Bronn-08062017.gif

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I get that, but if the ARU collapses, but the state unions stumble along and survive, which they probably will, and a new national body arises, we still have the road blocks in place.
We need dragons.
View attachment 9674

NSWRU has had to be bailed out twice (at least) in the last 20 years or so. Wouldn't surprise me if they were on the cusp of the third strike. They all need to be allowed to go broke (which given the level of governance will happen).

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Pro14 is looking to expand, possibly to rival the English premiership and the Top 14. Perhaps the remaining SA Super Rugby teams could play in that competition, and the AUS and NZ Super Rugby teams play in a trans-Tasman competition.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NSWRU has had to be bailed out twice (at least) in the last 20 years or so. Wouldn't surprise me if they were on the cusp of the third strike. They all need to be allowed to go broke (which given the level of governance will happen).

I think they actually made a small profit this last year. Somehow.
You're assuming that they will disappear if they go broke. I'm not. They're like the dead, hard to kill again! ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Pro14 is looking to expand, possibly to rival the English premiership and the Top 14. Perhaps the remaining SA Super Rugby teams could play in that competition, and the AUS and NZ Super Rugby teams play in a trans-Tasman competition.

The Kiwis have thus far been quite adamant that they are not interested in this.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Well, if all the South Africans move to Pro 14, the other more fantastical idea, would be to amalgamate Pro 14 and Super Rugby. Then we can have two separate conferences running as separate leagues, one Argentina/Greenwich mean timezone, the other an Aus-NZ-Asia/Pacific timezone. Have no the inter-league stuff until the finals come along only. By that stage anyway, being one or two games away from a grand final, people would still stay up late to watch their team on the other side of the world, as it's a sudden-death play-off. Three games maximum out of your timezone only maybe?

I dunno, just brainstorming.