• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

D

daz

SH, what did you think was going to happen, seriously?

Peaceful protest in the stands with blue jerseys and Force chants is one thing, and entirely appropriate.

Having the ARU upstaged on an international broadcast under the banner of World Rugby is quite another thing. It was, after all, a Wallabies Test, not a Force/Super Rugby game.

I am actually amazed that the little girl who ran the ball out was allowed to do so in a Force jersey.

And my opinion has nothing to do with being against the Force. World Rugby would never have allowed that to happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Chances are the director of the matchday event who would be from an external company made the decision on the spot.

It's not like they would have had much time to clarify things with the ARU.

D

daz

Chances are the director of the matchday event who would be from an external company made the decision on the spot.

It's not like they would have had much time to clarify things with the ARU.

Not sure about that BH. The NIB admin folk knew well in advance a protest was planned, including blue jumpers en masse.

There must have been a plan in place to deal with that. I don't believe for a second that some stadium manager made that call, even at the last minute, unless it was under the clear instructions from the ARU/World Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure about that BH. The NIB admin folk knew well in advance a protest was planned, including blue jumpers en masse.

There must have been a plan in place to deal with that. I don't believe for a second that some stadium manager made that call, even at the last minute, unless it was under the clear instructions from the ARU/World Rugby.

They wouldn't be connected with the stadium. It would be an event company. I'm not sure whether the same company the ARU uses for tests on the east coast is used in Perth.

The Force jerseys in the crowd were certainly known about in advance but would they have known the kids would be wearing Force jerseys?

Hard so say really.

I expect the ARU would have said they couldn't wear them out on the field if they were asked, but I wouldn't be surpised if it never got that far.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They wouldn't be connected with the stadium. It would be an event company. I'm not sure whether the same company the ARU uses for tests on the east coast is used in Perth.

The Force jerseys in the crowd were certainly known about in advance but would they have known the kids would be wearing Force jerseys?

Hard so say really.

I expect the ARU would have said they couldn't wear them out on the field if they were asked, but I wouldn't be surpised if it never got that far.
Pleased to see ARU collaborating with tf's team by providing a working group to work with them to set up Indo pacific comp.

I am feeling more optimistic at this point with this sort of collaboration we are seeing as the resources, business nous and capital twiggy bringing and combining and collaborating with the ARU resources can only be a great thing for oz rugby then the former status quo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What resources do you think the ARU can supply?
It cant be money: they dont have any and they cut the force to save it.
Personnel? that's just money with legs and, any way, would you want ARU personnel after the debacle they managed?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Personnel? that's just money with legs and, any way, would you want ARU personnel after the debacle they managed?

The ARU can supply something like 90 super rugby contracted players who aren't on international duty

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With the working group provided it is ARU high performance, commercial and legal resources. This is good as they do have some good resources which are supporting twiggy Forrests team. 1 + 1 = 3.

This is providing additional resources to support twiggys team to give best chance of making this competition a success. I think we have to start seeing this sort of collaboration between ARU and twiggys team as positive. Would we rather the ARU not do this and I imagine twiggy's team would great welcome this move.

If ARU and twiggy and his team work together rugby in this country can only stand to benefit, so this is one move by the ARU imo we should not be criticising.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
With the working group provided it is ARU high performance, commercial and legal resources. This is good as they do have some good resources which are supporting twiggy Forrests team. 1 + 1 = 3.

This is providing additional resources to support twiggys team to give best chance of making this competition a success. I think we have to start seeing this sort of collaboration between ARU and twiggys team as positive. Would we rather the ARU not do this and I imagine twiggy's team would great welcome this move.

If ARU and twiggy and his team work together rugby in this country can only stand to benefit, so this is one move by the ARU imo we should not be criticising.

Quite remarkable.
The ARU are widely accepted as incompetent .....until they get involved with a perceived saviour after they've clubbed his team to death.
I suppose to follow rugby in this country there has to be a certain amount blind optimism but there's no evidence anywhere that they have changed the habits of a lifetime.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
SH, what did you think was going to happen, seriously?

Peaceful protest in the stands with blue jerseys and Force chants is one thing, and entirely appropriate.

Having the ARU upstaged on an international broadcast under the banner of World Rugby is quite another thing. It was, after all, a Wallabies Test, not a Force/Super Rugby game.

I am actually amazed that the little girl who ran the ball out was allowed to do so in a Force jersey.

And my opinion has nothing to do with being against the Force. World Rugby would never have allowed that to happen.
In Canberra the kids ran out in, Brumbies jerseys.. Don't see what the big deal was or is

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ARU can supply something like 90 super rugby contracted players who aren't on international duty
So what happens to the NRC?
We're going to 5 tiers with ARU responsible for only one of them: since they contend they aren't to blame for super rugby.
It really is no wonder the game is on its last legs.
No one wants to address fundamental issues they just want to create more disconnected "pathways" through the Haunted House.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
So what happens to the NRC?
We're going to 5 tiers with ARU responsible for only one of them: since they contend they aren't to blame for super rugby.
It really is no wonder the game is on its last legs.
No one wants to address fundamental issues they just want to create more disconnected "pathways" through the Haunted House.
Well there's only one Aus team.

At this stage, the NRC looks like it will be for everyone (non-Perth) who doesn't want to be based in Sri Lanka or Malaysia for 3 months.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well there's only one Aus team.

At this stage, the NRC looks like it will be for everyone (non-Perth) who doesn't want to be based in Sri Lanka or Malaysia for 3 months.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
So these 90 players get sent around the Asia-pacific region for 6 games?
That's the budget blown in the first hour.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Who is to say the Perth clubbies + a few pros don't get to play NRC as the Spirit as well?

Particularly if Forrest is sponsoring the comp.
When is this comp to be played?
How do the non-pros support themselves?
People seem to assume a virtually limitless number of aspiring wallabies who are not paid to train or play whose full potential can be realised without paying them, who are able to give up jobs or study to travel all over the globe or even just to other parts of Australia, only for the structures to be altered almost annually.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
When is this comp to be played?
How do the non-pros support themselves?

Just to re-state, I'm talking about Perth non-pros in the NRC. The existing National Rugby Championship.

Media reports have suggested the NRC possibly becoming the "Twiggy" NRC.

The comp needs a sponsor. The ARU didn't find one (even for the relatively small dollars involved) and it's guaranteed to be played until at least 2020 - so, great.

The non-pros, or should I say semi-pros, may continue to support themselves - as they do now. With some limited payments from the NRC club - as they do now.

The proposed IPRC is a separate question.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just to re-state, I'm talking about Perth non-pros in the NRC. The existing National Rugby Championship.

Media reports have suggested the NRC possibly becoming the "Twiggy" NRC.

The comp needs a sponsor. The ARU didn't find one (even for the relatively small dollars involved) and it's guaranteed to be played until at least 2020 - so, great.

The non-pros, or should I say semi-pros, may continue to support themselves - as they do now. With some limited payments from the NRC club - as they do now.

The proposed IPRC is a separate question.
Unless I'm missing something you're seeing a comp other than the NRC: played when?
I think a fair few NRC players are not paid.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Unless I'm missing something you're seeing a comp other than the NRC:

Don't think so, mate. How many comps named NRC do you know of?

played when?

Similar NRC window next year to the NRC window this year.

I think a fair few NRC players are not paid.

Never said they didn't get paid peanuts. But my understanding is that, from 2015, RUPA mandated a minimum of $400. That's not even per match, so it is meagre. On average prems players might pick up $5k. And, of course, Super players don't get paid extra to run on in NRC.

Feel free to correct this - or even publicly 'out' clubs if they are exploiting players for no pay by posting them here.

But really that's a sidebar to my post about Perth Spirit's possibility of playing in NRC next year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't think so, mate. How many comps named NRC do you know of?

Similar NRC window next year to the NRC window this year.

Never said they didn't get paid peanuts. But my understanding is that, from 2015, RUPA mandated a minimum of $400. That's not even per match, so it is meagre. On average prems players might pick up $5k. And, of course, Super players don't get paid extra to run on in NRC.

Feel free to correct this - or even publicly 'out' clubs if they are exploiting players for no pay by posting them here.

But really that's a sidebar to my post about Perth Spirit's possibility of playing in NRC next year.
You described the indo pacific comp as another story - ie in addition to NRC. Mate.