• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jordy was promoted into reds side because of Kerevi injury.

sometimes you like to play it safe with development but unsure back then in 2019 who the better options were at #13.
The problem is not these young guys being advanced ahead of "better options", it's that our squads aren't built with enough depth for there to be better options than calling in a 19/20 year old before they're ready.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apologies - must of got my wires mixed re: Jordy debut. He did play a lot of #13 straight out of the gate for reds.

who was the reds #13 in 2019?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Apologies - must of got my wires mixed re: Jordy debut. He did play a lot of #13 straight out of the gate for reds.

who was the reds #13 in 2019?
Petaia for 2 games before getting injured than Feauai-Sautia, but that was Petaia's 2nd year. He debuted in 2018 mostly in 23 or on the wing with Feauai-Sautia and Kerevi sharing 13.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Open question [ a tad down], genuinely seeking various opinions. Have been reading some reports recently and it’s been in the media over the weekend about social media and the effect on younger generations.

No doubt E-Games is now and into the near future.

Other reports I have read about various sporting codes in Australia, and to me it seems outside AFL, NRL & Cricket all teams sports are in various degrees of trouble. Tennis and golf seem to be OK, with most Olympic sports needing governments grants to survive.

My question, pertains to expansion, AFL has plans for 20 teams currently 18 plus Tassie is 19 so 1 more, NRL has 17 plans a PNG side to 18 and wants 2 more so also 20.

In the let’s call them secondary teams sports, Football currently has 13 teams and wants to expand to 16 teams and start a second division. Basketball is bursting with stadium capacity in the high 80’percentage has 10 teams and looking to expand. Netball has 8 teams and is also looking to expand; Netball also enjoys high percentage stadium crowds.

Given all secondary codes are struggling if finance and revenue is a core indicator, is the philosophical desire to expand simply bravado, and RA’s position to hold on to what you have a better long-term solution.

Anyway, will love and respect all opinions, as I said all secondary codes are in various degrees of trouble, so is expansion the right philosophical direction to take or is it better to hold and build the base.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Given all secondary codes are struggling if finance and revenue is a core indicator, is the philosophical desire to expand simply bravado, and RA’s position to hold on to what you have a better long-term solution.

I find it more than distasteful and it did not have to be this way - but holding on to what we have, or at least of much of it that we can manage to hold, right now that is the short term. Long term will have to wait.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I find it more than distasteful and it did not have to be this way - but holding on to what we have, or at least of much of it that we can manage to hold, right now that is the short term. Long term will have to wait.
I have felt the same over the last hhhmmm say 18 months where we need Super Rugby to stay afloat, buy equally we need a plan to get away from Super Rugby or moreover to establish a competition which may lead to a shorten version of Super Rugby at the end.

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Open question [ a tad down], genuinely seeking various opinions. Have been reading some reports recently and it’s been in the media over the weekend about social media and the effect on younger generations.

No doubt E-Games is now and into the near future.

Other reports I have read about various sporting codes in Australia, and to me it seems outside AFL, NRL & Cricket all teams sports are in various degrees of trouble. Tennis and golf seem to be OK, with most Olympic sports needing governments grants to survive.

My question, pertains to expansion, AFL has plans for 20 teams currently 18 plus Tassie is 19 so 1 more, NRL has 17 plans a PNG side to 18 and wants 2 more so also 20.

In the let’s call them secondary teams sports, Football currently has 13 teams and wants to expand to 16 teams and start a second division. Basketball is bursting with stadium capacity in the high 80’percentage has 10 teams and looking to expand. Netball has 8 teams and is also looking to expand; Netball also enjoys high percentage stadium crowds.

Anyway, will love and respect all opinions, as I said all secondary codes are in various degrees of trouble, so is expansion the right philosophical direction to take or is it better to hold and build the base.
Not worried about e-games. To put it euphemistically, the demographic that is willing to spend money on that was never inclined toward sport or leaving the house in general to begin with. They won't cannibalize much from existing sports.

I don't really think we have a choice on whether or not to hold as the Rebels have shown that expansion isn't in the cards under the current conditions. Losing a presence in Melbourne is something we'll really regret in the long term and I think we'll be back eventually in 10-15 years if we navigate the interim carefully. However staying financially viable needs to be the priority now.

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
It's bravado. The regular calls for more teams, let alone a 'third tier' are fantasy. People want to fight battles that have already been lost. A-League has the same disease (albeit context is v different)

RA strategy needs to lean in to competetive advantage, and prioritise bottom line growth (not revenue).

Core strategic pillars should be:
- Concentrate and align mens professional 15's footprint (3x provincial teams + annual programs for U20s / Wallabies / Aus A, loosen giteau law)
- Strengthen traditional club comps (Shute, JID, Hospital, Dewar, FMG premier)
- Align rugby programs / coaching philosophy in key 'pathway' schools (yes, most of these are private schools in NSW and QLD).
- Invest heavily in womens 7's (grassroots and professional, as a priority over 15s)
- Innovate in engagment (e-sports, tik tok, cross promos, playing cards, podcasts, fantasy, magazine shows, personalities, longh lunches, controversies, columns inches all matter)

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
This feels informed by stereotype and is incredibly removed from the actuality of gaming in the present day
I'm was being partially tongue in cheek but there's some truth there. There are fellas who dabble in a bit of league of legends/valorant/CSGO that are pretty handy on the field, have a Stan subscription, and went on tour for the RWC.

But your blokes who are throwing down a couple grand on a gaming set-up and dumping money into streamer chats are the whales the gaming industry is making money off of and they are generally not into the traditional sporting scene.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Whilst it isn't immediately relevant to our performance the world of E-Sports isn't silly to think will have an impact on every sport.

Kids are buried in them because they're unbelievably entertaining. Does this take away from a kids want to play sports and time they will put into them? Absolutely.

Why are young South American kids so good at Soccer? Time playing. Fijian 7s? Always doing it. Our kids... Spreading time across so many things. The elite performers will still rise but the depth of the pool of talent will shrink over time.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's bravado. The regular calls for more teams, let alone a 'third tier' are fantasy. People want to fight battles that have already been lost. A-League has the same disease (albeit context is v different)

RA strategy needs to lean in to competetive advantage, and prioritise bottom line growth (not revenue).

Core strategic pillars should be:
- Concentrate and align mens professional 15's footprint (3x provincial teams + annual programs for U20s / Wallabies / Aus A, loosen giteau law)
- Strengthen traditional club comps (Shute, JID, Hospital, Dewar, FMG premier)
- Align rugby programs / coaching philosophy in key 'pathway' schools (yes, most of these are private schools in NSW and QLD).
- Invest heavily in womens 7's (grassroots and professional, as a priority over 15s)
- Innovate in engagment (e-sports, tik tok, cross promos, playing cards, podcasts, fantasy, magazine shows, personalities, longh lunches, controversies, columns inches all matter)
Lol the laughing reaction wasn’t enough. Your grand solution is to focus on private school rugby ins Sydney and Brisbane. Laughable

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not worried about e-games. To put it euphemistically, the demographic that is willing to spend money on that was never inclined toward sport or leaving the house in general to begin with. They won't cannibalize much from existing sports.

I don't really think we have a choice on whether or not to hold as the Rebels have shown that expansion isn't in the cards under the current conditions. Losing a presence in Melbourne is something we'll really regret in the long term and I think we'll be back eventually in 10-15 years if we navigate the interim carefully. However staying financially viable needs to be the priority now.
Rugby won’t be back in 10-15 years as the game will be dead here in 10-15 years if you cut the rebels.

Secondly E-sports gets people involved with supporting the game. The NFL grows via Madden, the NBA via 2k and soccer via FIFA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Whilst I think the solution isn't to focus on the Schools it is a fundamental heartland of the players in Aus that all sports want to get in on but we have the inside running.

7 of the Rebels starting 15 came out of Sydney or Brisbane Private Schools.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Whilst I think the solution isn't to focus on the Schools it is a fundamental heartland of the players in Aus that all sports want to get in on but we have the inside running.

7 of the Rebels starting 15 came out of Sydney or Brisbane Private Schools.
Cool what has that got to do with anything? The majority of kids don’t go to private schools. You are much better putting money into something like the Rebels shield than you are just going back to private schools