• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
QLDer here that lived in Victoria for a decade. Origin is comfortably the largest rivalry for what it means to the average person and “water cooler” talk. Some of the AFL rivalries are large but not in same space as origin. Bringing to conversation back to rugby, QLD v NSW was always the one where you knew a biff or genuine hatred existed in both sides but now it’s all buddy buddy. Tahs v Brums also good but always felt it was more meaningful to the Brums than the Tahs. We had a perfect scenario with Force v Rebels to build something but there is almost no media hatred allowed in rugby and the players way to friendly on field with each other to classify it as spicy.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Force v Rebels felt like it had a bit to it when the Force got back in the comp but probably the fact both weren't that competitive meant it died off.

With the others it goes with how good the sides are. Tahs are ass so how do you push the game as a tru rivalry when its Brumbies with the last 14 or something like that. NSW v QLD still has a bit but once again one of them sucks. NRL love the Roosters v Souths and theyve benefitted from both being finals sides the last decade. Every chance it fizzles a bit with Souths sitting last if it's at Homebush.

Reds v Brums have had the best feeling the recently and it's no surprise they have been competing for the title of best Aus side.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
QLDer here that lived in Victoria for a decade.
Like most of the Storm and Rebels players lol

QLD v NSW was always the one where you knew a biff or genuine hatred existed in both sides but now it’s all buddy buddy.
The same thing for Bledisloe. Some decades ago it was like SOO the level of hatred and passion. Now the Kiwis feel compassion for the Wallabies and is like if the Wallabies win it again, the Kiwis will celebrate it
Tahs v Brums also good but always felt it was more meaningful to the Brums than the Tahs.
In the last decade they have won almost all the games so maybe if the Tahs start to win some games could be a big rivalry like it was in 2014
We had a perfect scenario with Force v Rebels to build something but there is almost no media hatred allowed in rugby and the players way to friendly on field with each other to classify it as spicy.
I don't think so. They are 3,500 kilometers away from each other. Most of the Perthians die without knowing a Melbournian in their lives lol

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
QLDer here that lived in Victoria for a decade. Origin is comfortably the largest rivalry for what it means to the average person and “water cooler” talk. Some of the AFL rivalries are large but not in same space as origin. Bringing to conversation back to rugby, QLD v NSW was always the one where you knew a biff or genuine hatred existed in both sides but now it’s all buddy buddy. Tahs v Brums also good but always felt it was more meaningful to the Brums than the Tahs. We had a perfect scenario with Force v Rebels to build something but there is almost no media hatred allowed in rugby and the players way to friendly on field with each other to classify it as spicy.
Origen is certainly and easily the biggest Aus sports rivalry
The tv ratings are the same as the afl and nrl grand final for each game so the 3 SOO and grand finals gives rugby league 4 grand finals a year

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Origen is certainly and easily the biggest Aus sports rivalry
The tv ratings are the same as the afl and nrl grand final for each game so the 3 SOO and grand finals gives rugby league 4 grand finals a year

And to think, if Artie Beetson hadn't jobbed Mick Cronin in the first game we wouldn't have been talking about his today. The clubs, and Media, were genrally sceptical about the whole thing and it would have died like every other new League concept if that hadn't happened.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Excuse the language mate have seemed to strung a cord with you
Yes we are reminiscing from 10 years ago
And even then the super rugby final wasn’t even a sell out
Even if the tahs were going well add another 5k to the crowd isn’t a lot for the only super rugby side in the state compared to 10 league sides averaging nearly double the crowds and growing while super rugby is on the trend of falling below 10k fans
The only solution hear seems to be let’s do nothing and keep the silence of the game going that’s a great way to see if fall off the earth
It may not have been a sell out but it wasn't easy to get a few decent seats together. I know because I tried to at the last minute but couldn't so didn't bother going.

1715842617401.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It was a buzz then. Even League shows talking about the Tahs and it being fun. Cheika walking around with a driver in the change room but ya know they were winning games…

It was entertaining and guess what. People loved it.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It was a buzz then. Even League shows talking about the Tahs and it being fun. Cheika walking around with a driver in the change room but ya know they were winning games…

It was entertaining and guess what. People loved it.
And then just 20k turned up for the Force game in the first game of 2015.

We would kill for those numbers now, but the Tahs did win, and then the crowds never really showed up

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
From memory it was hotter than Satans ring that day and an arvo game but yes you’re right.

We’d take 20k on repeat now. All the old Rugby heads stuck their noses back in for the 2014 run. Much like all our franchises when winning.

Beattie

Frank Nicholson (4)
SH crowds a big concern. HM have dwindled in lower ranked teams but increased in higher ladder games. Australia and New Zealand need top level planning to even be eligible for 2027. Both NM and SH with the worst financial reporting in 10 years. Hearing NZ to cut a team like. Forum talk not executive.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
Remember we had 25k last year for this game against the Brumbies, we had a lot of hype going into that year.

Then a dissapointing loss and the tahs fell flat. I think we are still feeling that loss today. That comments someone mentioned about the salary caps compared to us, NRL and AFL is totally farked. I honestly can't even think of a way to fix it. When you look at how good the Brumbies are and how shit their attendance is.

I think a whole new competition or something has to be down to breath in new life. I'm a huge Union fan all ive ever played, still play now. Same with a lot of my mates, and even theyre going off the union. Its totally ucked.

The silver lining is though, we only need to attract back our base. I dont think the problem is that we need new fans, we just need to attract our old ones. Which is much easier.

I know this is discussed ad nauseam, but procastinating university work.

EDIT: just realised i was referring to the tahs as "we" sorry i realise this is a general aussie rugby thread.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
We have always needed a new competition, it is the constant refusal to accept the basic reality that without a sustainable domestic competition to grow the game, then we are at the mercy of a top down Wallabies are no1 in the world growth strategy.

Not sure how that is supposed to work with a declining supporter and player base. But it is the only strategy they have ever had and looks like the only one moving forward.

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Exactly let’s take off the rose glasses and realise we can’t live off the tag “it’s the international game”
The other codes will never have the international game like we have but we need a strong domestic comp otherwise where will the international players come from?
everyone bagging Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and cooper but their the only rugby players other code supporters know as well
We don’t line in the 1990s anymore and the more we sit back and pretend it’s fine and stay silent the more it falls into a hole
Even with the brumbies winning their crowd numbers are falling to
Our club rugby and school rugby comps and rivalries are still strong maybe we build off that? That really how nrl and afl built up many years ago! Only other way is to join with Japan for competitions and funding - if they would want to
Only need to see the way SA teams have gone north and are getting better
Soon to be 20 nrl teams what sort of pathway does 1 pro side in nsw provide for all the schoolboys and and when their idols and nrl players
Again only coming from someone who only played rugby their whole life and have just watch it suffocate for years

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Let’s remember in a professional game players are paid from marketing and media of the game! They are paid by fans watching on Tele and also going to games that’s how the game makes its money
While rugby goes quieter each year and sits back behind the other codes
All super rugby is a selection trial for the wallabies
I know someone who debut last year in super rugby and after 1 game was talking about wallabies - didn’t care he got a cap it was around how to make the wallabies already

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good little write up/interview with Brendan Gabbett about Tim Ryan over on ESPN:

It's maybe early days to draw some of the conclusions there, given the glowing praise for Jorgensen a few games into his career at the time, but I do like that there has been a lot more talk about letting the young guys play colts and under 20s lately. I think it's so important for their development long term.

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Good little write up/interview with Brendan Gabbett about Tim Ryan over on ESPN:

It's maybe early days to draw some of the conclusions there, given the glowing praise for Jorgensen a few games into his career at the time, but I do like that there has been a lot more talk about letting the young guys play colts and under 20s lately. I think it's so important for their development long term.
Yeah there's no point in sending a 19 year old out to get smashed by 28 year olds in their athletic prime.

They'll just go into survival mode and avoid taking risks as opposed to being given the freedom to experiment, make correctable mistakes, and develop some flair that will ultimately result in a more complete player when they're physically mature.

I imagine the only exception is if you have someone that's both a physical freak and possessing an uncommonly confident mentality.