• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
well i've trawled through Hansard and the ASIC files and other avenues this afternoon. the last available on the record Financial statements for the Rebels (MRRU Ltd.) is December 2014, before Imperium took over. there are no financial records available for Imperium Sports Management Pty. Ltd. that i can find. Senator Reynolds may have them, but according to the Senate enquiry website, they are not documents sent to them, or on file. Also i cannot find anywhere in Hansard your statement that more fees went to Imperium than the players, can you direct me. Senator Reynolds implies that the ARU money could have gone/went to any of the Imperium group of companies when questioning Clyne, but offers no evidence. Without actually seeing the documents, which may turn up in the finished report, its once again speculation. i am not defending Pulver, or Clyne, or Todd day, or Clarke or the ARU Board or Cox, or Imperium, or the legal twits from the ARU who put all this together. i jsut really want the actually truth to emerge, not ill informed accusations or misinformation. One thing i did learn today is that the put option, once triggered by the seller (Imperium) has to be taken by the other party (VRU).
edit: oh, and by far the smartest man in the room was Tim North.

Documents, statement or testimony (evidence) tendered to Senate committees that are confidential in nature will no be identified (or acknowledged) on the public record nor available for public consumption. Its standard practise.

From the hansard:

Senator REYNOLDS: But, Mr Clyne, if you had a look at their books, they've actually paid themselves as consultancy fees more than they were paying the players and staff combined. Didn't that raise alarm bells in your due diligence—that Imperium were paying themselves far more for all of their various management services than they were paying the players?

Mr Clyne: The reality is that they were a commercial entity and they had to make a decision about how to run the game. We obviously oversaw an element of financials, but, as I've said repeatedly we're not suggesting that the financial cost to the Rebels was very unfortunate—as the financial costs to many other teams were. The issue we had to make was: how do we draw a line under this and how do we have four teams going forward?

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/committees/commsen/87aa22c3-6b88-43ee-bc66-a7a12167a694/toc_pdf/Community Affairs References Committee_2017_10_16_5625.pdf;fileType=application/pdf#search="committees/commsen/87aa22c3-6b88-43ee-bc66-a7a12167a694/0000"

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Documents, statement or testimony (evidence) tendered to Senate committees that are confidential in nature will no be identified (or acknowledged) on the public record nor available for public consumption. Its standard practise.

From the hansard:

Senator REYNOLDS: But, Mr Clyne, if you had a look at their books, they've actually paid themselves as consultancy fees more than they were paying the players and staff combined. Didn't that raise alarm bells in your due diligence—that Imperium were paying themselves far more for all of their various management services than they were paying the players?

Mr Clyne: The reality is that they were a commercial entity and they had to make a decision about how to run the game. We obviously oversaw an element of financials, but, as I've said repeatedly we're not suggesting that the financial cost to the Rebels was very unfortunate—as the financial costs to many other teams were. The issue we had to make was: how do we draw a line under this and how do we have four teams going forward?

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/committees/commsen/87aa22c3-6b88-43ee-bc66-a7a12167a694/toc_pdf/Community Affairs References Committee_2017_10_16_5625.pdf;fileType=application/pdf#search="committees/commsen/87aa22c3-6b88-43ee-bc66-a7a12167a694/0000"
thank you i obviously missed that in my reading this afternoon

M

Moono75

Yep Rebel fans seemed to have missed or ignored a lot of the important information from this enquiry. Unfortunately no one other than Force fans care because its not in the interests of the other teams to question anything as long as they are safe.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Yep Rebel fans seemed to have missed or ignored a lot of the important information from this enquiry. Unfortunately no one other than Force fans care because its not in the interests of the other teams to question anything as long as they are safe.
That's a pretty broad brush you're wielding there.

M

Moono75

In hindsight the protests of the Australian rugby community and the unity around the stronger as five message was so piss weak it is laughable. The evidence highlighted in this enquiry if you take the time to read it makes you wonder what future Australian rugbh has and how much trust you would ever invest in the word of the Eastern ARU.

B

BLR

For fack sake talk about, kicking someone when they are down..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Can you see now why us in the West have a general mistrust of the other parts of Australia? :p We only have so much lube!

M

Moono75

So the ARU seek to recover legal costs from Rugby WA which I imagine Twiggy would probably stump up on their behalf, and yet he is still expected to negotiate with the ARU in good faith on the implementation of IPRC.

At what point should WA break off all negotiations around rugby of any sort with the ARU and just go it alone. What benefit do we derive from a continued association with the ARU.

B

BLR

Unfortunately this was always on the cards...

And is the ARU's way of handling this particular request appropriate? Keep in mind they are supposedly the governing body requesting this from one of the unions they supposedly oversee. Read Pulver's quotes and come back to me. I'll wait.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Why should Twiggy or anyone other than RWA pay that bill.
It is simply a cost of being incompetent administrators of Aust rugby.
Not unlike their complete incompetence in administering the Rebels financial fiasco costing tens of millions over seven years and still counting.
And not to mention their incompetence in just about every other facet of Aust rugby, where to start!
If RWA is unable to pay the costs then shut RWA down or put up and shut up.

B

BLR

Now this could be interesting. They committed to keep the Spirit IIRC. If Rugby WA goes under the Spirit will go and so will a team from the NRC. House of cards? Twiggys help evaporates - WA Gov start the legal action?

From what I understand originally the RugbyWA board was told by the ARU that the Spirit were included in Alliance Agreement so were to be cut. Then once things moved forward the ARU changed their tune to put forward they would still support WA rugby. Looking at previous behaviour of the ARU board, as they have done multiple times during this saga, this is a roundabout way of doing what they originally planned back in early to mid 2016 when they first started talking about cutting teams. They will say it was regrettable and they tried their hardest but WA simply couldn't stay afloat. Rinse and repeat.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
From what I understand originally the RugbyWA board was told by the ARU that the Spirit were included in Alliance Agreement so were to be cut. Then once things moved forward the ARU changed their tune to put forward they would still support WA rugby. Looking at previous behaviour of the ARU board, as they have done multiple times during this saga, this is a roundabout way of doing what they originally planned back in early to mid 2016 when they first started talking about cutting teams. They will say it was regrettable and they tried their hardest but WA simply couldn't stay afloat. Rinse and repeat.

Is Twiggy sponsoring the NRC now or is that in the future? Twiggy should acquire the rights to the major stadiums in Sydney, they are probably loss making anyway, then make it difficult or even impossible for the ARU to hire. That would be very amusing!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

From the hansard:

Notice how the question about alarm bells was nicely side stepped. Deflecting the issue to include the financial costs of many other teams. A choice piece of obfuscation.