• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Domain Name rugbyau.com.au
Status ok
Registrar Name NetNames
Registrant Australian Rugby Union Ltd
Registrant ID ACN 002 898 544

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
A quick search of the business name register with ASIC shows that both Rugby Australia and Rugby AU are both available for registration. I was very tempted to lodge a registration for both names myself.
i once left a company after they decided not to pay bonuses. A few days later they announced a rebranding of the company. I managed to register the domain name before they did. Guess who got their bonus and some ;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I am trying to work out how they will go with the new name. I am not certain they will get the trademark (especially in all the classes they are trying to get it registered against) as the name is so generic (the Rugby part is a common word, so is the Au) and even if that do IMHO its a poor identifier.

On the poor identified thought, as Rugby AU is such a broad term (Rugby being a sport descriptor and the Au being more recognised as a country code) the name being searched using Google for example will return a broad search that will include all types of Rugby (league included) and all media outlets from the reporting angle; the governing body (the ARU) will be somewhere in that mix and not immediately identifiable.

WA rugby could get away with this as the WA part then the rugby make it fairly obvious wast it was. Wold Rugby is self explanatory to a degree especially as the league body is rarely referred to if at all.

I will be in interested to see how they then refer to themselves in the Media. IMHO having an CEO stand before the media and say "Rugby Au's position is ..........." sound quite poor.

B

BLR

It's a nothing name and MST is right it's too generic. But just as importantly why is an organisation in deep financial trouble wasting money on a name change?

They have been whinging about financial trouble for years yet pumping money into franchises without KPI's. They are either negligent in their duties to the game or are lying and this huge windfall from the broadcasting agreement is still squirreled away. They are just greedy and want to keep it for themselves and their mates.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a nothing name and MST is right it's too generic. But just as importantly why is an organisation in deep financial trouble wasting money on a name change?

Absolutely! And when the re-branding also attracts more criticism and ridicule you really couldn't get get it more expensively wrong.

"Rugby Au and Australian Rugby, as well as the Directors of the Board of Rugby Au, reject the criticisms of Australian Rugby's recent changes and Rugby Au's decision to change our name. Rugby Au's full position on Australian Rugby can be read on Rugby.com.au. Rugby Au would like all supporters of rugby union to consider as they read the Rugby Au statement on Rugby.com.au that Rugby Au does not represent all of Australian Rugby, only the parts that we actually represent and only Rugby union,' in part.".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't the rebranding to Rugby Australia as the full name with RugbyAu as the shortened version to be used on logos etc?

I would assume that in speech and text it will be written/said as Rugby Australia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^
Sorry, I am only an intern:

"Rugby Australia and the Directors of the Board of Rugby Australia, reject the criticisms of Australian Rugby's recent changes and Rugby Australia's decision to change our name to Rugby Australia. Rugby Australia's full position on Rugby in Australia can be read on Rugby.com.au.

Rugby Australia would like all supporters of Rugby in Australia to consider as they read the Rugby Australia statement on Rugby.com.au that Rugby Australia does not represent all of Rugby in Australia, only the parts that we actually represent.

Rugby Australia would like to clarify that the use of the reference Rugby Australia refers to rugby union in Australia and only the part thereof it represents. Rugby Australia is not is not a dyslexic reference to Australian Rugby League, nor meant to represent the sport of rugby in a grater context; just the niche part know as union.

Australian Rugby is in no way affiliated with or represents other parts of Australian Rugby such as touch rugby or rugby league."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Isn't the rebranding to Rugby Australia as the full name with RugbyAu as the shortened version to be used on logos etc?

I would assume that in speech and text it will be written/said as Rugby Australia.

So what? Waste of money. Waste of time. Self evidently confusing to Australians - no doubt the poms will understand what it means. It is a typically empty gesture by the ARU to endeavour to hide the fact that their performance is stale, ill directed, elitist and incompetent. But that was the ARU this is Rugby(Union)AU.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So what? Waste of money. Waste of time. Self evidently confusing to Australians - no doubt the poms will understand what it means. It is a typically empty gesture by the ARU to endeavour to hide the fact that their performance is stale, ill directed, elitist and incompetent. But that was the ARU this is Rugby(Union)AU.
I agree. I don't think it's a good idea.

Reactions: mst
M

Moono75

Truly a design abomination....probably designed by Imperium Digital Design for $4 Million....a bargain though at that price......holly shit who is in charge of this train wreck. Criminal charges to be instigated against the whole ARU (Rugby AU) board. They are out of control!

M

Moono75

If the ARU thinks WA will forget the betrayal of trust they are mistaken. Changing your name doesn't change your nature.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Truly a design abomination..probably designed by Imperium Digital Design for $4 Million..a bargain though at that price..holly shit who is in charge of this train wreck. Criminal charges to be instigated against the whole ARU (Rugby AU) board. They are out of control!

Criminal charges you say?

T

TOCC

Bunch of wankas trying to run and hide from their own poor performance by changing their name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Bunch of wankas trying to run and hide from their own poor performance by changing their name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fixed:

Bunch of wankas Au trying to run and hide from their own poor performance by changing their name

B

BLR

Criminal charges you say?

We'll see what the senate inquiry pulls up. All this talk of trusts having ARU money filtered through to it that was supposed to be for the Rebels, as well as interested parties to the trusts being in positions of power in relation to the transfer of the Rebels license to Imperium. Conflicts of interest abound and it really depends on how far the rabbit hole goes. So yes, criminal charges.