• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
To: Community Affairs, Committee (SEN)
Subject: Senate Affairs Enquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia
Date: Thursday, 19 October 2017 12:45:42 PM
19 October 2017
The Chairman
Community Affairs References Committee
Senator Rachel Siewert
Via email : community.affairs.sen@aph.gov.au
Dear Senator,
Senate Community Affairs References Committee
Third Public Hearing for the Future of Rugby Union in Australia
1. My name is David Vaux and I have been a director of RugbyWA (“RWA”) since June
2. Whilst a West Australian, who learnt rugby at school in Perth and played
subsequently at University of WA, I have, since 1981, lived in Sydney. I played with
Sydney University and Waverley Rugby Club until 1995 when I retired from playing.
I have since served on the Sydney University Football Club Foundation.
3. My role as a director of RWA is to be a point of local contact between the ARU
board and executive and the RWA board and executive. I have known members of
the ARU board including Mr Cameron Clyne, Chairman, Mr Bill Pulver, CEO, and
directors Mr John Eales and Mr Brett Robinson for some years.
4. In Mr Clyne’s opening statement, made on public record to the Committee on 16th
October 2017, Mr Clyne makes a number of false assertions.
5. I am compelled to correct Mr Clyne’s evidence, in order that the Committee is not
misled.
6. Mr Clyne’s version of what he said to me on the telephone on Sunday 20th August
2017 which he outlined to the Committee in his opening evidence , detailed below,
is substantially untrue:
Mr Clyne…“It has been falsely claimed during this enquiry that the ARU had made
an offer to reinstate the Western Force if RugbyWA or Mr Forest would pay a sum
of $70m to the ARU. This is a complete misrepresentation of what transpired, both
in my telephone conversation with Mr Vaux and in the meeting with Mr Forest and
his representatives in Adelaide.
There was never a point in either conversation that a specific financial sum was
discussed in relation to reversing the ARU board’s decision to remove the Western
Force. In fact, rather than a specific figure, it was pointed out that financial support
would need to be open ended, as a major element would be compensation for all
teams, and broadcasters, given the inferior nature and higher cost of a 16 team
competition.
When pressed for a figure, I said it would likely exceed $100m, given the
complexity involved, and even then, it was no guarantee our members, SANZAR or
broadcasters would support it. That is the only figure ever raised, and it certainly
was not a commitment, but merely an estimate, and certainly nothing was offered
that came close.”
7. The above statements by Mr Clyne do not accord with what he said to me, my
notes and contemporaneous emails.
8. I have a very clear recollection of our telephone conversation. At the time I was
visiting my daughter on the Sunshine Coast and I had to excuse myself from a small
gathering to take the call from Mr Clyne. I also took some notes of key points. The
following is a summary of my telephone conversation with Mr Clyne and
subsequent events :
a) Mr Clyne called at 2.22pm on Sunday 20 August 2017 and said to me that the
process of determining an Australian team to drop from the Super Rugby
Competition had been very, very difficult for him, and that he was personally
very hurt by media commentary and comments by Andrew Forest about his
role and the ARU’s approach. He had been warned not to do business with Mr
Forest and told not to trust him. However, notwithstanding these feelings, he
had been instructed by his board to make a “Without Prejudice” proposal. He
said that the ARU would retain the Western Force in the Super Rugby
Competition on the following conditions :
(i) Mr Forest would underwrite the Western Force’s financial position for
the remaining 3 years of the Broadcasting Agreements, and an
additional 5 years which would arise from the next cycle of Broadcasting
Agreements;
(ii) The Western Force would receive equal funding from the ARU to the
other 4 Australian Super Rugby teams;
(iii) To compensate the ARU for having to continue to provide an ongoing
$6m contribution to the Western Force, Mr Forest would provide
funding to the ARU for grass roots rugby for $6m a year over the 3 + 5
year period, $48m in total;
(iv) Mr Forest would provide SANZAR compensation for the additional costs
of going from 15 to 16 teams, namely $20m; and
(v) If this proposal was agreed to, then Mr Clyne and the rest of the ARU
board would resign and a new board would appoint the next CEO.
I asked Mr Clyne to clarify why he felt the 8 year period was appropriate. He said
that if the Western Force were to be retained, then it would naturally be a
consequence that they would be retained for the next broadcasting cycle as well. I
queried with Mr Clyne, the commerciality of including the additional 5 years, as it
was highly likely that the structure and funding of the Super Rugby Competition
would be materially different, hence, due to this uncertainty, it was an
unreasonable demand. He was however adamant about the 8 year period.
I informed Mr Clyne that I would present his proposal to representatives of Mr
Forest and also to the RWA Chairman, Mr Tony Howarth. Our call concluded at
2.49pm.
I returned to my gathering and informed them that I needed to be excused to
make some further calls, as I had just been speaking to Mr Clyne, and I wanted to
pass onto my West Australian colleagues details of a proposal he had made. I
expressed hope that a settlement might be possible.
9. During the course of the afternoon, I made phone calls to John Welborn, Mr
Forest’s key representative, Mark Sinderberry, CEO of RWA, Tony Howarth,
Chairman RWA and Geoff Stooke, ex-ARU director and adviser to RWA and Mr
Forest.
10. I sent a text to Mr Clyne at 6.04pm saying “Spoken to John who will discuss with
Andrew. Will get back to you as soon as possible. Regards, David”.
11. At 7.39pm that night I received an email from John Welborn confirming details of
the discussion I had with Mr Clyne. A copy of Mr Welborn’s email which is a true
and accurate summary of my conversation with Mr Clyne is set out below.
12. I subsequently was informed that a meeting had been arranged in Adelaide for
Tuesday 22nd August 2017 between Andrew Forest, John Welborn, Geoff Stooke
and from the ARU, Cameron Clyne, John Eales and Brett Robinson.
13. On Tuesday 22nd August 2017 at 7.06am I sent a text to Mr Clyne as follows :
“I truly hope that today’s meeting is successful. In the best interests of Australian
Rugby I’d like to suggest the following. Firstly ask AF to confirm that he will
underwrite the financial security of the WF for the next 3 years and subject to
some
common sense safeguards, also for the next broadcasting cycle. Secondly instead
of
asking for $m to compensate the ARU which will be inflammatory I would simply
thank him for his offer to provide support for Australian rugby and ask him what he
has in mind. This is an unique opportunity to involve a billionaire offering help. If
he
asks for your ideas I suggest you put to him a discrete project such as the creation
of
an Australian Coaching Foundation which could be under the ARU with an
independent board of expert trustees. The mission of the ACF is to become the
global leader in RU coaching. The mandate is to improve coaching at both the
community and elite levels for men and women’s 15’s, 7’s and indigenous rugby
across Australia. The programs would be developed in collaboration with the ARU
and member Unions and associates. The mantra would be that better coaches
make
better players. The ACF would be a very substantial, long term project. Obviously
the costing would need to be determined, but if as part of an agreement to retain
the Force, AF publicly commits to back the project then it will happen. If you feel
you need a minimum $ figure to publicly disclose as part of a settlement I’d ask him
for an amount. I would expect the commitment would be either a lump sum or
over
say 10 years. The establishment of the ACF will save the ARU and the Super Rugby unions
millions and will achieve lasting performance and participation benefits. Yours in
Rugby, David”
I did not receive a reply from Mr Clyne.
14. It was with great dismay that I later heard that the Adelaide meeting was a
complete failure.
15. I subsequently sent a text to Mr Clyne, Mr Eales and Mr Robinson at 9.38pm on
22nd August as follows :
“On Sunday Cameron put to me a proposal for 5 teams to be retained if AF backed
the WF financially and for AF to donate $48m to the ARU and compensation for so
called additional costs for SANZAR. Today you have rejected an Offer which would
have addressed the first two aspects of Cameron’s proposal. The compensation
point is highly debateable. To have turned your backs on AF’s offer is an appalling
mistake. How can you continue to think that 4 teams will somehow return the ARU
and Australian rugby to good health astounds me. To reject a $50m donation from
AF, a proven generous donor, and think that is in the best interests of Australian
rugby is a grave error. Are you sure that you are not now putting your own bias
and
hurt in the way of clear thinking. Please step back and review where things are,
West
Australia will fight on relentlessly. David”
16. Neither Mr Clyne, Mr Eales nor Mr Robinson responded to deny Mr Clyne had
made such an offer on behalf of the ARU or otherwise to correct any of the details
as set out in the above text.
17. I believe that my recollections above are a true and accurate account of the
telephone conversation I had with Mr Clyne and subsequent events.
Yours sincerely,
David Vaux
B.Juris (Hons), LL.B., MBA (London), FAICD

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
To: Community Affairs, Committee (SEN)
Subject: Senate Affairs Enquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia
Date: Friday, 20 October 2017 2:21:55 PM
20 October 2017
The Chairman
Community Affairs References Committee
Senator Rachel Siewert
Via email : community.affairs.sen@aph.gov.au
Dear Senator,
Senate Community Affairs References Committee
Third Public Hearing for the Future of Rugby Union in Australia
Unfortunately I must again write to you to correct a statement made by Mr Clyne,
Chairman of the ARU, to the Senate Enquiry on 16th October 2017.
1. Mr Clyne referred to a RugbyWA director being involved in the preparation of a
report by Saltbush Capital where he said “In fact, the most recent of those strategic
reviews, which was done by Saltbush Capital, actually had a Rugby WA director on
it and specifically called for going to four teams”.
2. I am the RugbyWA director to whom Mr Clyne is referring. I was asked by Saltbush
Capital to assist them in their Financial and Organisation Review of the ARU. My
position as a director of RugbyWA was disclosed to the ARU, prior to any
involvement with the Saltbush Capital Review, and my participation was welcomed.
3. Our Review was presented to the ARU board on, or about, 18th April 2013. A key
finding of the Review was that “Super Rugby is not financially viable in its current
form”, and we recommended to “Establish an ARU Super Rugby Taskforce now to
develop a commercially viable competition for 2016”.
There was no commentary in the Review about reducing the Australian teams from
5 to 4.
4. Mr Clyne’s comment above is simply false and misleading.
Yours sincerely,
David Vaux
B.Juris (Hons), LL.B., MBA (London), FAICD

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Have any of you taken the trouble to look up the main players at Satlbush Capital? I didn't think so.
"It is interesting to note that Fairfax is taking counsel from under-the-radar-boutique advisory, Saltbush Capital Markets, and its chairman Patrick Allaway.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...and-ubs-intrigue-20120514-iy21r#ixzz4y0KQxTTX
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook"
Where did Mr Allaway play his rugby I hear you ask: Sydney University.
Where did Mr Clyne play his? you guessed it.
Who was Michael Hawker's best mate at Syd Uni - sorry, no prizes for guessing that.
Where did Pulver go to uni - come on, you're kidding aren't you?
Where does Patrick Allaway live? - not sure but he used to live in Mosman - with Pulver and Eales.
Most of its here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...lverisation-of-australian-rugby.12976/page-13

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Surely you guys at Green and Gold are going to support the ARU and change your name to Navy Blue and Cyan

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely you guys at Green and Gold are going to support the ARU and change your name to Navy Blue and Cyan

As someone that does a bit of work around branding - and considering the hate the ARU/RA cops (rightly or wrongly) - you don't think decoupling their brand and the Wallaby brand makes perfect sense?

Ideally, administration issues shouldn't be seen as directly Wallaby relevant and this is one small part of it.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Administration issues are the root of everything - the fish rots from the head - if the ARU/RA changes its image, why is Green and Gold not aligning with the new image? You know the Wallabies will be playing in Navy Blue and Cyan next year, right?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Administration issues are the root of everything - the fish rots from the head - if the ARU/RA changes its image, why is Green and Gold not aligning with the new image? You know the Wallabies will be playing in Navy Blue and Cyan next year, right?

We could debate admin issues until the cows come home, and people have on this very forum. I'm just talking about the practicality of a rebrand.

Another fact is people are always mad when big corporations rebrand and within 6 months they don't care anymore.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Another fact is people are always mad when big corporations rebrand and within 6 months they don't care anymore.

your litmus test for the level of acceptable shambolic for the ARU is if people are still talking about it 6 months later? That's a piss poor metric.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
We could debate admin issues until the cows come home, and people have on this very forum. I'm just talking about the practicality of a rebrand.

So in six months time this site will be Navy Blue and Cyan? Cos then no one will care either way?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
no- if they do too good of a job,the brand will last for ages,and there will be no money coming in,if there is no repeat business.Vance Packer,I think ,covered this in his book"planned obsolesced"

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Guys, I'll be honest and say I find a lot of this reaction to some pretty innocuous comments pretty toxic. I'm just chatting about some stuff to do with footy on a Sunday.
That's a rehashed media release

It's not anywhere else on the internet, so I doubt it's a mass-distributed release, but it is extremely positive and corporate sounding. Look, at the end of the day the point I'm trying to illustrate is the value of word of one expert VS others (the ones doing the rebranding VS the journalist that wrote the article) is difficult. It's very hard to measure ROI when it comes to branding.

your litmus test for the level of acceptable shambolic for the ARU is if people are still talking about it 6 months later? That's a piss poor metric.

Did I say that? Or did I say that people don't care about rebrands after 6 months?

Are you looking for conflict where there is none by chance? There's no need to project more than what is written.

So in six months time this site will be Navy Blue and Cyan? Cos then no one will care either way?

Mate, what I'm obviously saying is the ARU/RA are trying to seperate their brand from the teams/organisations that play under it (that's why they took on different colours and logo). This means obviously the Wallabies and RA are not seen as one organisation (because in many ways, they're not) and other brands/organisations can sit under it (Aus 7s, Women's XV, rugby.com.au, age grade rep, NRC, etc.). It's got parallels to diversification in any industry.

Nebulous is a big word - what does it mean and who tf uses it in the course of a forum post?

Play the ball, not the man. I can use any language here that isn't offensive.

nebulous ˈnɛbjʊləs/ adjective adjective: nebulous 1. in the form of a cloud or haze; hazy. "a giant nebulous glow"

Alas, if you'd read just one more line of that google search you would've seen the meaning I meant. I guess language, like branding, is in the eye of the beholder.

Doesn't that just reinforce that it's a waste of money?

Hey mate, this point and other objections are often raised when rebrands happen (for everyone from Instagram to Woolworths).

And you're right, ROI with branding is very hard to measure. RA's reasoning would've been to reposition the brand (for reasons explained before) and probably also to try stay fresh/relevant, and to try to try to dispel some of their bad reputation.

I'm not saying this way the best decision or timing, but they obviously have a rationale for it and I guess time will tell if they were right.

I will say that rebrands are rarely the 10 million dollar ordeal average punters like ourselves have pictured in their heads. I doubt the bill was too steep, and was probably inclusive of things like a web-build.