• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

D

daz

I’ve been stewing over Wayne Smith’s article in The Australian , 12 December 2017 in which he quotes Brett Robinson of the EARU.

Clearly I have a particular view of the process, and naturally I'm happy for my comments to be taken with a pinch of salt against an alternate viewpoint. And I suppose I should preface this with the comment that I have absolutely no idea what is happening behind closed doors, or who said what to whom, and when. But whilst trying to survey the current landscape with both eyes in and looking past the emotion, I suspect that what most of us thought would happen, has actually transpired. The deed has been done. The senate inquiry, whilst probably done for the right reasons, has faded into history. So too, has most of the demands for other agencies to investigate, etc, etc. The noise is becoming infrequent and diminishing. With Ms Castle on board, it is easy for RA to be seen as having moved on from the process. Clyne will eventually fade away without fuss, I suspect. IIPC status? Who knows. But with every passing day it doesn't seem to be the rugby revolt some were hoping for. No news is not good news on that front. I know it is the annual leave period, etc, but Twiggy and his team have gone off the radar in the popular media, at least in the East. Cox has retreated to NZ, Rugby Vic is doing whatever it is doing (I know I should care exactly what, but I don't. Sorry), sponsors are engaged, playing lists are finalised, players from the Force have new clubs (and new paying employers), 2018 is gearing up to get underway. I could be very wrong, but at this stage, it really does appear to be business as usual. As if the last 12 months have never happened. Not at all fair to the Force fans, but not much in life is fair. I reckon RA are thrilled with dramas such as QC (Quade Cooper), Hunt, etc. It gives the journos something to write about, rather than sitting and thinking, which leads to digging. It just helps the whole Force saga become less visible, if you know what I mean.

D

daz

^^^ Sorry for the block of text. The inability to format on particular platforms is driving me to drink. To paraphrase the great Lloyd Bridges in Flying High, I picked a bad month to give up alcohol.

T

TOCC

Central Coast 7s, probably one of the highest profile 7s tournaments in Australia have announced this year was their last year running the tournament, and have named the ARU’s lack of support as one of the reason they are cancelling the tournament. They hope another union or group may take over the hosting of the tournament, but if not, then it will cease.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Good top see that Rugby's new mantra is catching on and supporting the traditional views.

The new less is more now compliments the keep the old dysfunctional and protect the amateur game at all costs mindset at the expense of professionalism, revenue generation, expansion and relevance.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There were 7s in the amateur era

I went to the Middlesex Sevens at Twickenham in the early seventies. Plus, when I moved to Hong Kong in 1976, the Hong Kong Sevens was just starting. Just. Two days, a few hundred spectators, no presales, just rock along to the old Football Club Stadium in Sports Road and pay.

How amateurish was that????

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Clearly I have a particular view of the process, and naturally I'm happy for my comments to be taken with a pinch of salt against an alternate viewpoint. And I suppose I should preface this with the comment that I have absolutely no idea what is happening behind closed doors, or who said what to whom, and when. But whilst trying to survey the current landscape with both eyes in and looking past the emotion, I suspect that what most of us thought would happen, has actually transpired. The deed has been done. The senate inquiry, whilst probably done for the right reasons, has faded into history. So too, has most of the demands for other agencies to investigate, etc, etc. The noise is becoming infrequent and diminishing. With Ms Castle on board, it is easy for RA to be seen as having moved on from the process. Clyne will eventually fade away without fuss, I suspect. IIPC status? Who knows. But with every passing day it doesn't seem to be the rugby revolt some were hoping for. No news is not good news on that front. I know it is the annual leave period, etc, but Twiggy and his team have gone off the radar in the popular media, at least in the East. Cox has retreated to NZ, Rugby Vic is doing whatever it is doing (I know I should care exactly what, but I don't. Sorry), sponsors are engaged, playing lists are finalised, players from the Force have new clubs (and new paying employers), 2018 is gearing up to get underway. I could be very wrong, but at this stage, it really does appear to be business as usual. As if the last 12 months have never happened. Not at all fair to the Force fans, but not much in life is fair. I reckon RA are thrilled with dramas such as QC (Quade Cooper), Hunt, etc. It gives the journos something to write about, rather than sitting and thinking, which leads to digging. It just helps the whole Force saga become less visible, if you know what I mean.

Very good post and it is the managerial style I have seen for a long while in corrupt and incompetent organisations, basically obfuscate and delay until the anger and motivation dies away for the outrage that is being persued, and while those fans/customers/stake holder are likely to be lost the organisation and its structures/managers survive with pay packets intact. Just look at the banks. The little blip that is the loss of bonuses for Comm bank executives is nothing, I fully expect it to be paid next year as a special increase or some such.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
ausrugflow_zpsdlt4zu62.png

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Central Coast 7s, probably one of the highest profile 7s tournaments in Australia have announced this year was their last year running the tournament, and have named the ARU’s lack of support as one of the reason they are cancelling the tournament. They hope another union or group may take over the hosting of the tournament, but if not, then it will cease.

Missed this little gem the first time around. How about giving us a ranking of all the highest profile 7s tournaments in Australia, for our general edification.

Thanks in advance.

T

TOCC

Missed this little gem the first time around. How about giving us a ranking of all the highest profile 7s tournaments in Australia, for our general edification.

Thanks in advance.

Oh great, so what was your issue with that comment? cut the shit and say what you mean. Do you disagree that’s it’s one of the highest profile 7s comps in Australia? It’s a real shame and a loss to the momentum 7s is building if it can’t continue on.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Oh great, so what was your issue with that comment? cut the shit and say what you mean. Do you disagree that’s it’s one of the highest profile 7s comps in Australia? It’s a real shame and a loss to the momentum 7s is building if it can’t continue on.

I lived there for a number of years, and cannot say that I noticed it. That's what I meant.

T

TOCC

I lived there for a number of years, and cannot say that I noticed it. That's what I meant.

Just say that without deliberately baiting with loaded questions in the future.

You not hearing about it doesn’t change that it is one of the highest profile tournaments in Australia. I had certainly heard from it when in Queensland, it was one of the tournaments that teams would try and send a team to every year.