• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t see why RA should continue to prop up the Rebels if they’re going to spend beyond their salary cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What option do they have? House of cards now. If the Melbourne Force go, the TV deal goes, RA goes, SANZAAR implodes........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby Australia has finally updated its Current Board Members, Elizabeth Broderick resigned in October last year - no announcement as to who the two new Board members are - applications open next week I would imagine

Where do I pick up an application form (smiling emoticon)?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
And the ironic thing is that Rob Clarke - is still employed - by the Rebels as a consultant - big money for him has to come from somewhere - any who , how's things out your way Force?

Well the NRL is about to put on a double header over here in our brand new shiny stadium on march 10. Guess where a lot of previous Rugby supporters are heading too. I'm just wondering when some bastard in charge over there is gonna start proceedings to knock off The mighty Scorchers as well seeing as they're being so successful and all.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
What option do they have? House of cards now. If the Melbourne Force go, the TV deal goes, RA goes, SANZAAR implodes....

RA have made a commitment to the Victorian Government that they will maintain the Rebels in this competition - this was part of the deal that 'punted the Force' - dire consequences apply to the RA if they do not uphold their end - so I'm told. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...force-out-of-super-rugby-20170816-gxxde5.html the article states that Tim Pallas was instrumental in building AAMI Park - so he may well remember what happened to the Melbourne bid for a team back then when JON had given Melbourne a nod and a wink but gave Perth their team instead - and Pallas knew he needed to protect himself from the malevolent RA.

T

TOCC

What option do they have? House of cards now. If the Melbourne Force go, the TV deal goes, RA goes, SANZAAR implodes....

grow some balls, some brains and enforce a salary cap model which is at a sustainable levels for the remaining teams, even some very simple salary cap mechanisms pegged to a percentage of the clubs revenue over a period of 2 years(the previous and the upcoming).

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^We can wish but it wont happen.

The growing a brain option was missed when RA had the perfect chance to go to SANZAAR and say one of our team is about to go belly up financially and then let (make) it happen. The conversation would have been simple; what a coincidence you want to cut team as we need to. One is financially unstable and poses a risk to RA and SANZAAR.

They could have sold that BS story and even used the BS spreadsheet of "irrelevant crap" (still cant work out why the word cash appears so much in it yet the word revenue is not so much) and we would have believed it more the the stupidity that ensued and continues to rein. It would have also solved some other issue that now remain unresolved.

I still think its hilarious that the key desire RA had to get real private investment was totally blown out pf the water by there incompetence and business ignorance and it wont change until the next TV at least.

But lets see how far the reported $20mil goes on a organisation that chews through at least $15mil a season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well the NRL is about to put on a double header over here in our brand new shiny stadium on march 10. Guess where a lot of previous Rugby supporters are heading too. I'm just wondering when some bastard in charge over there is gonna start proceedings to knock off The mighty Scorchers as well seeing as they're being so successful and all.

Not even two games from the Winfield Cup (current name?) should be enough to turn true rugby fans. It is the Lord Mayor's shit cart after the abundance of style and drama contained in a rugby match. I expect a lot of ex-Force fans will take on League as something to watch, but would return to rugby the moment it re-establishes itself. There are rumblings already over here, mainly among ex cricketers turned commentators it seems, about the continued success of the Scorchers with barely hidden allegations of funny money business. Nothing breeds envy and jealousy like success. Ask any Brumbies fan.

T

TOCC

Players have negotiated to receive 29% of player generated revenue... so where's the other 71% of player generated revenue going?

T

TOCC

Not even two games from the Winfield Cup (current name?) should be enough to turn true rugby fans. It is the Lord Mayor's shit cart after the abundance of style and drama contained in a rugby match. I expect a lot of ex-Force fans will take on League as something to watch, but would return to rugby the moment it re-establishes itself. There are rumblings already over here, mainly among ex cricketers turned commentators it seems, about the continued success of the Scorchers with barely hidden allegations of funny money business. Nothing breeds envy and jealousy like success. Ask any Brumbies fan.

20years ago I was a rugby league fan, Broncos member and attended almost every home game... I stopped following the game during the Super League Wars, I was young and didn't understand the petty shit but I knew I didn't like everything that was going on, I started following rugby union and didn't look back. I wouldn't underestimate the toll and sour taste that the culling of the Force has left on supporters in WA, theres is a significant amount animosity and frustration about how they have being treated, I think you would find that many sponsors and fans have turned off the game of rugby for good over west. There's an appetite for a sport like rugby league or rugby union, and the ARU have opened the doors and handed the NRL the keys to cannibalise some of their supporter base.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would like to know what is expected of the players in return for their increase?

Nothing presumably. I think they have a week more leave than they did last year. I think it's entirely related to player retention in competition with the global market.

T

TOCC

I would like to know what is expected of the players in return for their increase?

Ironically the players voted against the culling of the Force, the culling of the Force is the reason the players average pay has increased.

Players now face less playing opportunities within Australia, maybe that’s the trade off.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If new squad size of 35 - 40 isn't achieved by any of the teams (and I think none of the Reds, Tahs or Brumbies have 35 contracted players on their books), are they at liberty to divide the additional funds up over the existing players?