• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

half

Alan Cameron (40)
At the risk of using another sport and being belted for it.

We have missed many warning of things are changing.

I have mentioned this before, but IMO there is a message in this, how to react, and what to do, I have no idea. But ignore at our own peril.

When you think of professional gamers, you might think of South-Koreans in darkened rooms, chugging Red Bull and tapping ferociously at keyboards.

But it’s much more likely, especially if you’re a male between 10 and 40 years old, that you know exactly how diverse the gaming community is.
Chances are, you’re one of them.
While the average FIFA enthusiast – a game so popular it’s assumed the governing body’s moniker – doesn’t get paid for the privilege of gaming, enough people play EA Sports’ videogame that there is a growing market for watching the very best do their thing.
Such a market, in fact, that the e-League’s launch on Foxsports drew bigger ratings than the average A-League match.
“I definitely think that’s a good thing,” Brittany Austin said.
Austin is the Brand Engagement Manager for EA, as well as host of the e-League on Foxsports.
“Esports are massively growing worldwide, so to be the first broadcaster involved is a massive win for Foxsports,” she continued.
“I wouldn’t say the e-League’s ratings beating the A-League was a worry, I’d encourage them to get more behind esports because it shows there’s such a big market and passion for people wanting to see it.”
Football Federation Australia (FFA) surprised many in January when it became the first major Australian sporting competition – and one of the first professional football leagues worldwide – to jump on the esports bandwagon.
This drew the ire of some hardcore fans, with concern that marketing through a videogame could cheapen the already-struggling competition, but a 16% ratings jump and larger social media following soon put those fears into context.
FFA's Head of Commercial, Digital and Marketing, Luke Bould, believed their decision was immediately vindicated by the competition's popularity.
“We weren’t surprised by the response,” he said.
“But it does validate our belief that an e-League will be popular and act as a bridge between the gaming world and the Hyundai A-League.”
FFA’s aim is to increase metrics in a stagnating domestic competition by differentiating their advertising and channelling more existing football fans into attending matches.
Unlike its major rivals – AFL, NRL and Big Bash League – the A-League has representation in a global videogame heavyweight. Austin believes leveraging this advantage is extremely important.
“I think, moving forward, this is something FFA will want to continue,” she said.
“If they keep rolling with continual seasons they can blend the online and offline world of football. It’s shown how successful it’s been with viewers, so they have the chance to leverage that success.
“Linking e-League athletes to their club’s star players or hosting pre-match e-League games offers a link between the two sports. There’s a lot of opportunity.
“FFA haven’t necessarily shared their future plans though.
“E-League isn’t the cheapest activation to pull together. I don’

t know whether (Foxsports will) broadcast it next year, but the professionalism and media knowledge they have adds a lot of authenticity.”
It appears that while the A-League stands to benefit from its electronic namesake, esports and the young gamers they optimistically call “athletes” will thrive nonetheless.
In a new technological era, the final frontier for sports broadcasting may be rebroadcasting a television screen.
“It’s where sport's going these days, so broadcasters have to be on board with that trend,” Austin said.
“It’s imperative for broadcasting companies. There’s talk about it becoming an Olympic sport.
“Esports gives players who don't have the physical skill, but have the brain of an athlete, the chance to perform.”

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The problem with rugby e-sports is that there really hasn't been a good game since Rugby Challenge (or, if you want to go further back, Rugby 08. RC2 and RC3 had decent potential but were squandered).

Another problem is the fact that no game has had the licence for all the major international teams and comps (RC3 had Super Rugby, NRC, Currie Cup, NPC, Aviva Prem, Wallabies, ABs, Boks and Poms while Rugby 15 had the Top 14, Pro D2, Pro12 and a few national teams)

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..........

I find it quite amazing how our once stagnant RA/ARU has been jolted into action by the action of a single philanthropist in Western Australia.

The RA lost Buildcorp as a sponsor for the NRC last year as the sponsor was of the view that RA wasn't doing enough for women's rugby.
The result - the very successful, but short, W Rugby season this year.
If W Rugby was in the melting pot do you think Buildcorp would have withdrawn their sponsorship?

RA has recently "talked" about possible moves into Asia/Pacific region with Super Rugby in 2020.
Go back and find when that was first talked about.

Now we have a double header for the Wallabies and Wallaroos to play on a Bledisloe match day.

In October 2017, Andrew Forrest presention his vision and objectives for the IPRC (now World Series Rugby as it's obviouslu being expanded). His main aim was to "Take the Western Force from a club without a licence to Australia's leading club in the Indo-Pacific region". He wanted to make 'rugby the community-building sport of choice for the region".
He talked about:
  • reaching out into the asia pacific region
  • gender equality - for XVs and VIIs - growth in women's rugby
  • for match day experiences with womens and 7s games played as curtain raisers or half time entertainment.
  • building excitement into each game.
  • reaching out to millenials by the use of eSports apps.
Seems that Rugby Australia is now singing from the Minderoo Song Book.
Whatever the motivation - rugby in Australia has to be the better for these new direction.

The goss is that some more exciting announcements from WSR Western Force SOON........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
SA fans (some of them anyway) have spoken:

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/fans-have-spoken-10-reasons-super-rugby-is-dead-20180424

Rather & depressingly similar to much of the sentiment on here.

I could have made just about every comment in that article.

A couple of my favourites:

"The ongoing results are very predictable too. Creates for a seriously average product. Any sport's popularity will take a dip when one team/country just completely dominates. Oz derbies are rubbish, Oz v NZ is pointless as only NZ teams win, just by how much and RSA v NZ is not much different if we honest."

I long for the old days where the running game was done by the backline, and the forwards all piled into a ruck to try and win the ball. Today's game is such a pile of crap I don’t bother to watch any more. The maul from a lineout is the epitome of insanity. It's organised obstruction, which you're not allowed to defend. And scoring 3 points from a penalty when an opposing prop forward slips... What rubbish?"

How long can this insanity of super rugby continue?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The problem with rugby e-sports is that there really hasn't been a good game since Rugby Challenge (or, if you want to go further back, Rugby 08. RC2 and RC3 had decent potential but were squandered).

Another problem is the fact that no game has had the licence for all the major international teams and comps (RC3 had Super Rugby, NRC, Currie Cup, NPC, Aviva Prem, Wallabies, ABs, Boks and Poms while Rugby 15 had the Top 14, Pro D2, Pro12 and a few national teams)

But the people running the game have been in a virtual world for a few years now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not so sure that Super Rugby is dead. But it should be (imvho).

Kiwis are at the head of “what is next”. I despair that they may not truly understand this.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I could have made just about every comment in that article.

A couple of my favourites:

"The ongoing results are very predictable too. Creates for a seriously average product. Any sport's popularity will take a dip when one team/country just completely dominates. Oz derbies are rubbish, Oz v NZ is pointless as only NZ teams win, just by how much and RSA v NZ is not much different if we honest."

I long for the old days where the running game was done by the backline, and the forwards all piled into a ruck to try and win the ball. Today's game is such a pile of crap I don’t bother to watch any more. The maul from a lineout is the epitome of insanity. It's organised obstruction, which you're not allowed to defend. And scoring 3 points from a penalty when an opposing prop forward slips. What rubbish?"

How long can this insanity of super rugby continue?

I also think this is important simply to maintain any current interest and promote future interest in the sport.

"Make players more accessible. Have more meet and greet autograph sessions at malls for example where kids, in controlled fashion, can shake hands with their hero's and get an item signed. Fans will identify with the players more and be more willing to support,"

Personally I would like to hear the Sharks spent a Wednesday coaching some rugby at a local school in Brisbane and doing that every week wherever they go. All teams should do that, if not every week then every second week or so.

How cool would it be as a kid knowing the Hurricanes with their coaching staff are coming over to give you a day's worth of scrummaging lessons?

I would say it is particularly important between SA and AUS Super Rugby franchises to have this kind of thing going on because let's be honest, SA and AUS are very disconnected from one another. It would create more respect and the rivalry will be better as a result.

NZ and SA have always had something and NZ and AUS have something too but AUS and SA not so much.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The record is skipping...

Are you really bringing up this exact same argument AGAIN?

Of course Slim....it's just becoming more obvious!

However, if what Minderoo is doing is of no consequence then it's hardly worth a comment.

Rugby Australia can be judged upon its own actions or lack of.....

The reality for a Brumbies supporter is that the next target is just as obvious.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I just wonder what you think RAs play is here half?

Do you think they should be developing a computer game?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fuck yeah, there's a Rugby Manager on steam that i wanna give a twirl but it seems northern hemisphere oriented and also it's like $30 for a game with average ratings.

Would easily pay $60 for a management game as polished as Football manager.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Fuck yeah, there's a Rugby Manager on steam that i wanna give a twirl but it seems northern hemisphere oriented and also it's like $30 for a game with about ratings.

Would easily pay $60 for a management game as polished as Football manager.

Have LONG thought this, especially with the international nature of the game. Hell, even at International Cricket Captain level I'd be happy

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We're repeatedly told that because we aren't in complete control of all aspects of rugby within Australia, that we are doomed to fail regardless of how good or bad our administrators are. League and Aussie Rules are used to make this point, but in Ireland Gaelic football and hurling are under complete domestic control and both have higher participation rates than rugby and yet rugby in Ireland is going from strength to strength.

It seems that having competition for other sports - including those with domestic control may not have as great an impact as we are led to believe. Perhaps the administration of the IRFU is proactive and efficent in contrast to the ARU/RA?

From page 22 of the attached.

Table 3.4: Participation Rates for the 15 Most Popular Activities
(Excluding Walking)
Rank Activity Male % Female% Total%
1 Swimming 12 17 15
2 Golf 17 3 10
3 Aerobics/Keep fit 5 10 8
4 Soccer 13 2 7
5 Cycling for leisure 6 3 5
6 GAA football 8 <1 4
7 Billiards/Snooker 6 <1 4
8 Pitch & Putt 4 2 3
9 Tennis 3 3 3
10 Jogging 3 2 3
11 GAA hurling 5 <1 3
12 Fishing 4 <1 2
13 Soccer 5-a-side 4 <1 2
14 Weight Lifting 4 1 2
15 Ten pin bowling 2 2 2
https://www.sportireland.ie/Researc..._Adults_2004_/Sports_Participation_Health.pdf

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Quick Hands said:
From page 22 of the attached.

Table 3.4: Participation Rates for the 15 Most Popular Activities
(Excluding Walking)
Rank Activity Male % Female% Total%
1 Swimming 12 17 15
2 Golf 17 3 10
3 Aerobics/Keep fit 5 10 8
4 Soccer 13 2 7
5 Cycling for leisure 6 3 5
6 GAA football 8 <1 4
7 Billiards/Snooker 6 <1 4
8 Pitch & Putt 4 2 3
9 Tennis 3 3 3
10 Jogging 3 2 3
11 GAA hurling 5 <1 3
12 Fishing 4 <1 2
13 Soccer 5-a-side 4 <1 2
14 Weight Lifting 4 1 2
15 Ten pin bowling 2 2 2
https://www.sportireland.ie/Researc._Adults_2004_/Sports_Participation_Health.pdf
Which kind of proves my point when I keep saying that we have to stop using argument that league/AFL etc is why the game struggles in this country, I see and hear constantly that the game can't grow or the Wallabies etc etc are struggling is because it is not the most popular game here. Perhaps we need to stop looking for excuses and just try and be positive?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I just wonder what you think RAs play is here half?

Do you think they should be developing a computer game?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Strew

AS I posted """ how to react, and what to do, I have no idea."""

So I assume that means we totally ignore it hhhhhhmmmm the AFL is reacting and is planning a weekend of E-Sports exactly what they plan I have no idea.

What I said was FFA have an E-Sport that out rates, the A=League, Super Rugby, AFLX, and Women's AFL, Basketball.

So we can totally ignore this like we have in the past, or we can try and think our way forward.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strew

AS I posted """ how to react, and what to do, I have no idea."""

So I assume that means we totally ignore it hhhhhhmmmm the AFL is reacting and is planning a weekend of E-Sports exactly what they plan I have no idea.

What I said was FFA have an E-Sport that out rates, the A=League, Super Rugby, AFLX, and Women's AFL, Basketball.

So we can totally ignore this like we have in the past, or we can try and think our way forward.

There is an article on the Roar today on this. https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/04/26/e-league-marketing-solution-league/

One interesting post was the following

""" The perfect dorm game’: how the Fifa series helped sell soccer to the US –
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/sep/27/fifa-17-release-american-soccer-fans-mls """""'

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I just watched the e-league semi-final on Foxtel. If that’s the future of sport count me out.

This sort of thing is fun to PLAY with mates and the kids but it’s not a spectator sport for me. Perhaps my kids would like it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I just watched the e-league semi-final on Foxtel. If that’s the future of sport count me out.

This sort of thing is fun to PLAY with mates and the kids but it’s not a spectator sport for me. Perhaps my kids would like it.

It's a rapidly growing sector. It's actually kind of amazing how into it many people are. Not my thing but I can recognise it's potential.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think this the arguable pinnacle of esports.

This year the fastest 40 drivers in the world will qualify for the Pro Draft where they can be selected by the real world Formula 1 teams to represent them for the rest of the season. But how does this process work?

https://f1esports.com